[Ppnews] Guantánamo: The Definitive Prisoner List ( Updated for Summer 2010)

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jul 13 14:37:05 EDT 2010

Guantánamo: The Definitive Prisoner List (Updated for Summer 2010)

12.7.10

http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2010/07/12/guantanamo-the-definitive-prisoner-list-updated-for-summer-2010/

In March 2009, I published a four-part list
identifying all 779 prisoners held at Guantánamo
since the prison opened on January 11, 2002,
which I updated in January this year. To keep up
with developments over the last six months, I
have now updated it again, and the four parts of
the list are available here:
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/guantanamo-the-definitive-prisoner-list-part-1/>Part
One,
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/guantanamo-the-definitive-prisoner-list-part-2/>Part
Two,
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/guantanamo-the-definitive-prisoner-list-part-3/>Part
Three and
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/guantanamo-the-definitive-prisoner-list-part-4/>Part
Four.

As I explained when I first compiled the list,
the original product of my research was my book
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/the-guantanamo-files/>The
Guantánamo Files, in which, based on an
exhaustive analysis of 8,000 pages of documents
released by the Pentagon (plus other sources), I
related the story of Guantánamo, established a
chronology explaining where and when the
prisoners were seized, told the stories of around
450 of these men (and boys), and provided a
context for the circumstances in which the
remainder of the prisoners were captured.

The list provides references to the chapters in
The Guantánamo Files where the prisoners’ stories
can be found, and also provides numerous links to
the hundreds of articles that I have written over
the last three years, for a variety of
publications, expanding on and updating the
stories of all 779 prisoners. In particular, I
have covered the stories of the 199 prisoners
released from Guantánamo between June 2007 and
May 2010 in unprecedented depth, as well as the
50 prisoners whose habeas corpus petitions have
been the subject of rulings in the District Court
in Washington D.C. (see
“<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/guantanamo-habeas-results-the-definitive-list/>Guantánamo
Habeas Results: The Definitive List” for links to
all my articles, and to the judges’ rulings). I
also covered the stories of the 27 prisoners
charged in Guantánamo’s Military Commission trial
system under the Bush administration (and have
covered the handful of cases revived,
falteringly, by President Obama) in more detail
than is, or was available from most, if not all other sources.

In addition, the list also includes links to the
12 online chapters, published between November
2007 and February 2009 (see the links in the
left-and column), in which I told the stories of
over 250 prisoners that I was unable to include
in the book (either because they were not
available at the time of writing, or to keep the book at a manageable length).

As a result ­ and notwithstanding the fact that
the <http://projects.nytimes.com/guantanamo>New
York Times had made a list of documents relating
to each prisoner available online ­ I maintain
that I am justified in stating that the list is
“the most comprehensive list ever published of
the 779 prisoners who have been held at
Guantánamo,” providing details of the 591
prisoners released (and the dates of their
release), and the 181 prisoners still held
(including information on those cleared for
release by military review boards under the Bush
administration or by President Obama’s Guantánamo
Review Task Force), for the same reason that my
book provides what I have been told is an
unparalleled introduction to Guantánamo and the
stories of the men held there: because it
provides a much-needed context for these stories
that is difficult to discern in the Pentagon’s
documents without detailed analysis.

This update to the four parts of the list draws
on
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2010/07/10/the-guantanamo-files-an-archive-of-articles-part-six-january-to-june-2010/>the
150+ articles that I have published in the last
six months, tracking the Obama administration’s
lamentable failure to close the prison as
promised, to thoroughly repudiate the Bush
administration’s policies, and to
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2010/02/23/torture-whitewash-how-professional-misconduct-became-poor-judgment-in-the-opr-report/>hold
anyone accountable for
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2010/03/14/what-torture-is-and-why-its-illegal-and-not-poor-judgment/>introducing
torture as official policy. Throughout this
period, I have reported the stories of the 17
prisoners released, and have also covered the
habeas petitions in unprecedented detail. I am
pleased to report that 37 habeas cases have now
been won by the prisoners (out of 51 in total),
but I remain concerned that the District Court
judges are obliged to approve the ongoing
detention of soldiers at Guantánamo, when they
should be held as prisoners of war, and I’m also
disappointed that President Obama has only
released 59 prisoners since he took office.

Of the 181 prisoners who remain, 97 have been
approved for release by the Task Force and 35 are
scheduled to face trials, but 48 others have been
designated as suitable for indefinite detention
without charge or trial ­
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2010/06/11/does-obama-really-know-or-care-about-who-is-at-guantanamo/>a
distressing development that may well mark the
nadir of President Obama’s promise to mark any
kind of meaningful change from his predecessor.
One other man,
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2008/11/03/life-sentence-for-al-qaeda-propagandist-fails-to-justify-guantanamo-trials/>Ali
Hamza al-Bahlul, is serving a life sentence after
a one-sided trial by Military Commission in 2008
(although his sentence is being appealed), and
another ­
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2009/05/21/out-of-guantanamo-african-embassy-bombing-suspect-to-be-tried-in-us-court/>Ahmed
Khalfan Ghailani ­ was transferred to the US
mainland to face a federal court trial in May
2009, before Congress descended into the kind of
cynical scaremongering that regards trial for
terrorists ­ and respect for the Constitution ­ as somehow quaint and obsolete.

As for my intention, it remains the same as it
did when I first published the list. As
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2010/01/04/guantanamo-the-definitive-prisoner-list-updated-for-2010/>I
explained at the time:

It is my hope that this project will provide an
invaluable research tool for those seeking to
understand how it came to pass that the
government of the United States turned its back
on domestic and international law, establishing
torture as official US policy, and holding men
without charge or trial neither as prisoners of
war, protected by the Geneva Conventions, nor as
criminal suspects to be put forward for trial in
a federal court, but as “illegal enemy combatants.”

I also hope that it provides a compelling
explanation of how that same government, under
the leadership of George W. Bush, Dick Cheney and
Donald Rumsfeld, established a prison in which
the overwhelming majority of those held ­ at
least 93 percent of the 779 men and boys
imprisoned in total ­ were either completely
innocent people, seized as a result of dubious
intelligence or sold for bounty payments, or
Taliban foot soldiers, recruited to fight an
inter-Muslim civil war that began long before the
terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, and that
had nothing to do with al-Qaeda, Osama bin Laden or international terrorism.

To this I would only add that, nearly a year and
a half after President Obama took office, I hope
that the list and its references provide a useful
antidote to the administration’s apparent
paralysis, and to the cynical scaremongering of
lawmakers that I outlined above.

Nearly six months on from President Obama’s
failure to close Guantánamo by his self-imposed
deadline of January 22, 2010, it now seems almost
inconceivable that so many of us once thought it
possible, because of the extent to which the
administration has lost its purpose, and the
extent to which lawmakers (and media pundits)
delight in channeling the lies and distortions of
former Vice President Dick Cheney, with an
arrogant disregard for how ridiculous this appears to the rest of the world.

Six months ago, I mentioned that there was no
reason for complacency. That was perhaps
optimistic, as now I can only exhort those who
oppose torture, arbitrary detention and political
bankruptcy to resist despair. However, as the
ninth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks approaches,
it remains imperative ­ for those of us who call
for the full reinstatement of the Geneva
Conventions for prisoners of war, federal court
trials for terrorists and accountability for
those who authorized torture ­ that we maintain
the pressure to close Guantánamo, and to charge
or release the prisoners held there, as swiftly as possible.

Andy Worthington
London
July 12, 2010

Andy Worthington is the author of
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/the-guantanamo-files/>The
Guantánamo Files: The Stories of the 774
Detainees in America’s Illegal Prison (published
by Pluto Press, distributed by Macmillan in the
US, and available from Amazon ­ click on the
following for the
<http://www.amazon.com/Guantanamo-Files-Stories-Detainees-Americas/dp/0745326641>US
and the
<http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guantanamo-Files-Stories-Detainees-Americas/dp/0745326641>UK)
and of two other books:
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/stonehenge-celebration-subversion/>Stonehenge:
Celebration and Subversion and
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/battle-of-the-beanfield/>The
Battle of the Beanfield. To receive new articles
in your inbox, please subscribe to my
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/feed/>RSS feed
(and I can also be found on
<http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=738143803>Facebook
and <http://twitter.com/GuantanamoAndy>Twitter).
Also see my
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2010/01/04/guantanamo-the-definitive-prisoner-list-updated-for-2010/>definitive
Guantánamo prisoner list, updated in January
2010, details about the new documentary film,
“<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/outside-the-law-stories-from-guantanamo/>Outside
the Law: Stories from Guantánamo” (co-directed by
Polly Nash and Andy Worthington,
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/outside-the-law-stories-from-guantanamo-uk-tour-dates-2010/>currently
on tour in the UK, and available on DVD
<http://www.spectacle.co.uk/catalogue_production.php?id=538>here),
and my
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/guantanamo-habeas-results-the-definitive-list/>definitive
Guantánamo habeas list, and, if you appreciate my
work, feel free to
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2010/06/07/quarterly-fundraising-appeal-please-support-my-guantanamo-work/>make
a donation.