[Ppnews] Omar Khadr statement at July 12 Guantanamo Bay hearing

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jul 13 14:15:45 EDT 2010

Omar Khadr statement at July 12 Guantanamo Bay hearing

Published On Mon Jul 12 2010

<http://www.thestar.com/topic/omarkhadr>Omar Khadr & Guantanamo Bay»

http://www.thestar.com/specialsections/omarkhadr/article/835002--omar-khadr-statement-at-july-12-guantanamo-bay-hearing

The Canadian Press

GUANTANAMO BAY, CUBA­What Canadian terror suspect
Omar Khadr said to the judge Monday about his
reasons for boycotting the U.S. military tribunal process at Guantanamo Bay:

Your honour, I’m boycotting this military
commission because, firstly, the unfairness and unjustice of it.

I say this because not one of the lawyers I’ve
had, or human rights organizations, or any
person, ever say that this commission is fair or
looking for justice, but on the contrary they say
it’s unfair and unjust and that it has been
constructed to convict detainees, not to find the
truth (so how can I ask for justice from a
process that does not have it or offer it) and to
accomplish political and public goal.

And what I mean is when I was offered a plea
bargain, it was up to 30 years which I was going
to spend only five years so I asked why the 30
years. I was told it make the U.S. government
look good in the public eyes and other political causes.

Secondly: The unfairness of the rules that will
make a person so depressed that he will admit to
alligations [sic] made upon him or take a plea
offer that will satisfy the U.S. government and
get him the least sentence possible and legitimize this sham process.

Therefore I will not willingly let the U.S.
government use me to fulfil its goal. I have been
used many times when I was a child and that’s why
I’m here taking blame and paying for things I
didn’t have a choice in doing but was told to do by elders.

Lastly I will not take any plea offer because it
will give excuse for the government for torturing
and abusing me when I was a child.