[Ppnews] Guantanamo Prisoner Denounces US Deal

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jul 12 20:19:18 EDT 2010

Defiant Khadr denounces U.S. military commission

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/defiant-khadr-denounces-us-military-commission/article1636877/
Anna Mehler Paperny

U.S. Naval Station Guantanamo Bay, Cuba ­ From
Tuesday's Globe and Mail Published on Monday,
Jul. 12, 2010 11:02AM EDT Last updated on Monday, Jul. 12, 2010 7:56PM EDT

After eight years in U.S. custody, Omar Khadr had the floor.

Appearing in a courtroom at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba,
the Canadian terror suspect publicly explained
himself in his own words for the first time
Monday morning, condemning the military
commission set to try him as a “sham process” so
divorced from legal norms that he's as well
trained to defend himself as any lawyer.

“The unfairness of the rules will make a person
so depressed that he will admit to any
allegations or take a plea offer that will
satisfy the U.S. government,” he said.

Guantanamo Bay's youngest inmate, and its only
Canadian, spoke more forcefully and at greater
length than ever before. The 23-year-old
expressed his contempt not only for the military
tribunal, but for a plea deal offered to him within the past month.

Mr. Khadr and one of his Canadian lawyers, Dennis
Edney, said he had been offered release from the
U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay in five years, to
serve the rest of a 30-year sentence in Canada,
if he pleaded guilty. He refused.

“I will not willingly let the U.S. government use
me to fulfill its goal,” Mr. Khadr said. “I have
been used too many times when I was a child, and
that's why I'm here – taking blame for things I
didn't have a choice in doing, but was forced to do by elders.”

The prosecution spokesman on Mr. Khadr's case
would not comment on the proffered plea
agreement. In Ottawa, Foreign Affairs spokeswoman
Melissa Lantsman said the Canadian government
“was not privy to the details of the plea deal.”

Even as Mr. Khadr was speaking, Ottawa said it
will appeal last week’s ruling by the Federal
Court of Canada obliging the federal government
to remedy violations of his constitutional rights.

Toronto-born Mr. Khadr, who was 15 when
prosecutors allege he threw a grenade that killed
U.S. Army Sergeant Christopher Speer during
firefight in Afghanistan, entered the court
unshackled, with a guard on either side. He was
dressed in the loose-fitting white prison garb
that is given to Guantanamo's most co-operative detainees.

He sat beside Mr. Edney, the Edmonton-based
lawyer who has no standing before the U.S.
military commission, and spent the morning of the
proceedings leaning forward, his thickly bearded
chin resting on his fist. Occasionally he
appeared to smile, the corners of his eyes crinkling.

Mr. Khadr has spoken in court before. But his
prepared statement, a handwritten, single-spaced
sheet of lined paper headed “Arabic-English
language class” and covered in a scrawl that
switched from black to red ink about a third of
the way through, was a far cry from his last
written submission to the military tribunal – a
two-sentence note arguing that he was being
punished for co-operating and demanding to be treated “humainly and fair.”

He sparred verbally with military judge Colonel
Patrick Parrish, who asked him repeatedly if he
was sure he wanted to represent himself. The
judge was bemused – along with much of the rest
of the courtroom – when Mr. Khadr said in the
same breath he wants to represent himself and to
boycott the proceedings he declared illegitimate.

Does Mr. Khadr have the legal training required
to represent himself “just as if you were a lawyer?” Col. Parrish asked.

“Doesn't matter,” Mr. Khadr shot back. “I've been
here a long time – five years in a military
commission. And that's good enough for me.”

Mr. Khadr repeatedly said it doesn't matter who
defends him, or fails to do so. He insisted he'll
get a life sentence – the maximum penalty for the
charges against him, which include murder and
supporting terrorism – either way.

Despite his repeated protestations and his stated
desire to boycott the remainder of his trial and
have no one speak on his behalf, Mr. Khadr still
has a lawyer, albeit a conflicted one.

Military-appointed lawyer Lieutenant-Colonel Jon
Jackson asked Col. Parrish for time to ask his
Arkansas bar association whether it would violate
his ethics as a lawyer to actively defend a man
who doesn't want to be defended.

Mr. Khadr told the judge: “You're forcing him on
me. I don't want him to be my lawyer. There are
not going to be any discussions between me and Jackson.”

Depending on the resolution of the issue, Mr.
Khadr will either be represented against his will
or there will be no defence as the first
military- commissions trial of Barack Obama's
presidency gets under way as early as next month.

Comparisons are being made to the case of Ali
Hamza al-Bahlul, a Yemeni who publicly announced
a boycott of Guantanamo court proceedings. His
lawyer accordingly mounted no defence and Mr.
al-Bahlul was tried, convicted and sentenced to life in prison.

“It could be that if he [Col. Jackson] zealously
defends his client against his wishes, he could
be disbarred for it,” said American Civil
Liberties Union spokeswoman Jennifer Turner, who
is an observer at this week’s hearings.

Marine Colonel Jeffrey Colwell, who's in charge
of Guantanamo's defence lawyers, said the
back-and-forth in court creates more questions than answers.

“These are difficult issues we're dealing with in
Guantanamo. You really can't make this stuff up,”
he said. “Omar says he's boycotting. What does
that mean? I don't think the judge knows what
that means. Maybe Omar doesn't know what that means.”

David Iglesias, a spokesman for the prosecution
in Mr. Khadr's case, said it makes no difference
to them who represents the accused. In court,
prosecutor Jeff Groharing's only real frustration
seemed to be with the delay caused by Col.
Jackson's desire to wait to proceed until he gets
the okay from his bar association.

“We take no position on whether Mr. Khadr could
or should represent himself,” Mr. Iglesias said.
“We want to go to trial. We're ready to go to
trial. Hopefully, as scheduled, next month.”

Gitmo prisoner rejects plea deal

Mon, 12 Jul 2010 21:11:09 GMT
http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=134497&sectionid=3510203

A young Canadian prisoner at the Guantanamo Bay
detention facility has rejected a plea deal that
would allow him to serve a shorter prison
sentence in exchange for pleading guilty to a war crime.

“I will not take any of the offers because it'll
give the US government an excuse for torturing me
and abusing me when I was a child," AFP quoted
Omar Khadr as telling a military tribunal at the
Guantanamo detention facility on Monday.

Khadr confirmed that US officials have offered him a plea deal.

According to the deal, if he pleads guilty to
committing a war crime, he will receive a
five-year prison sentence instead of the 30 years he faces.

Khadr, the last Westerner at Guantanamo, has
dismissed his defense team for the third time and
says he will not attend the proceedings.

“It's going to be the same thing with lawyers or
without lawyers. It's gonna be a life sentence,” Khadr said.

Khadr, who is now 23 years old, was 15 when US
forces in Afghanistan took him prisoner in 2002.
He was later charged with war crimes based on the
allegation that he threw a grenade that killed a US soldier.

The United States says 181 detainees still remain
at the notorious Guantanamo detention center.

However, dozens of them have been held without charges or trial.

Amnesty International has urged the US government
to immediately release the prisoners held at
Guantanamo or to charge and try them in accordance with international law.