[Ppnews] Prosecutor in Scott Demuth case fails to file indictment facts

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jul 2 13:35:12 EDT 2010

<http://davenportgrandjury.wordpress.com/2010/07/02/cronks-having-problems-feds-harassing-david-pellow-and-national-day-of-solidarity-for-scott-demuth/>Cronk’s
Having Problems, Feds Harassing David Pellow and
National Day of Solidarity for Scott DeMuth

1. Cronk seems to be having some problems
2. Feds ask the University of Minnesota for David Pellow’s research materials
3. National Day of Solidarity for Scott is approaching!
4. July 23: Potluck in the park to support Scott, Minneapolis

­­­­­­­­­

1. Cronk seems to be having some problems

Assistant U.S. Attorney Clifford R. Cronk III
seems to be having some problems. Back on June
14, Judge Thomas J. Shields ordered him to
provide the evidence from the second superseding
indictment against Scott DeMuth that he hadn't
already coughed up. Shields also ordered him to
provide a number of particulars about the
indictment, including exactly what Scott is
alleged to have done that is illegal, whom he is
alleged to have done it with, and when he is
alleged to have done it. You know, basics like
that. Cronk had until June 21 to hand over that info.

Alas, the 21st came and went with nary a peep
from Cronk. All he could muster was a request for
an extension because he was livin’ it up
somewhere on vacation. Seemingly ignoring the
fact that Cronk should have had all that info
nicely tucked away into a file before he ever
indicted Scott, Judge Shields granted an
extension until June 28 for the additional
evidence and until June 30 for the list of particulars.

After waiting with bated breath for a week (no
small task, ya know), Cronk let us down once
again. He filed a response, alright, but all
seven pages could be summed up in one sentence:
“We don’t have to tell you shit.” Then the 30th
came along and he filed a sealed response so that
not even Scott can know what Cronk is telling the court about his case.

All we want is to know what he’s alleging against our friend! Is that so wrong?

Now, some would say that Cronk doesn’t have a
case at all. That’s he’s dragging his feet cuz he
knows he ain’t got shit on Scott. They may be
right. But we’re willing to give him the benefit
of the doubt and see if there’s anything we can do to help.

Stereotypes about anarchists not knowing how to
be organized aside, we know some bad ass
anarchist legal workers who could help him
organize his files and manage his time so he can
make his deadlines and not fall afoul of the
judges. They can show him how to copy and paste
from one file to another to maximize his
efficiency, how to use sticky notes of different
colors to sort through his piles of paperwork,
how to create a database of documents to make
retrieving them easier, anything he wants.

So whaddaya say, Cronk? Can we get our friends
out to Davenport to do a skillshare for you?
(Those are free, FYI. Anarchists are all about mutual aid.)

If not, stop wasting our time and drop the charges already.

2. Feds ask the University of Minnesota for David Pellow’s research materials

 From David Pellow, Scott’s academic advisor:

“Just a heads up. On Friday, June 18, 2010, the
Department of Justice asked the University of
Minnesota’s Human Research Protection Program for
a copy of all human subject’s materials related
to my research project on environmental/animal
rights activists. This includes my interview
questionnaire and rationale for conducting
research on this topic, and various university
forms that would ensure the protection of my
research participants. The university has
informed me that they will comply with the
request and send the information on Thursday. The
letter was sent by U.S. Attorneys Cronk and
Klinefeldt, who are pursuing my advisee and
research collaborator Scott DeMuth with charges
that he allegedly violated the Animal Enterprise
Terrorism Act (associated with Animal Liberation
Front actions in 2005 and 2006, for more
information see http://davenportgrandjury.wordpress.com).

“The DOJ letter reads in part: ‘The information
we are requesting includes, but is not limited
to, the study file, the application for the
research project, along with documentation to
support the plan, and the names of the
participants in the project.’ That last part
about participants is worrisome, but only I
possess that information and I have pledged to
hold it in confidence (as required by my
professional association’s code of ethics). Since
the University of Minnesota is a public
institution, much of what is contained in the
file is basically public information. However,
the university informed me that they will delete
the names of students/employees working with me
on the project, so that privacy will be
preserved. As Scott DeMuth has been working on
the project with me since earlier this year, it
appears that this is a continuation of ongoing
efforts to explore possible connections between
Scott and any activists that we may or may not
have interviewed for this study. If there are
more updates in the future, I will keep you posted.”

3. National Day of Solidarity for Scott is approaching!

Don’t forget about the National Day of Solidarity
for Scott DeMuth on Friday, July 23! Here are the deets:

* When: Friday, July 23rd
* Where: Your town

Show solidarity with Scott as he prepares for
trial in September. Host a fundraiser
a concert,
a house party, a movie screening, a brunch, a
play. Do something creative
street theater, a
puppet show, an art auction. Stage a rally.
Convene a panel of speakers. Whatever you want.
Anything you can do to raise awareness of Scott’s
case and to help us raise money for his legal
defense will be amazing and ever so greatly appreciated.

Email us at scottandcarrie[at]riseup[dot]net to
let us know what you have planned!

4. July 23: Potluck in the park to support Scott, Minneapolis

Know how seriously we take the National Day of
Solidarity for Scott? Seriously enough to have a
picnic in the park with good food, fun games, and
great company! Who says taking things seriously has to be serious?

If you’re in town, join in on the fun! And don’t
miss the official Conspiracy Tour
(http://conspiracytour.wordpress.com) kickoff
event! Be among the first to join the Conspiracy!

* When: Friday, July 23rd, 5-7pm for food and
games; 7pm for the Conspiracy Tour kickoff event
* Where: Powderhorn Park (near the stage), Minneapolis

If you’re able, please bring a dish to share.
We’ll make sure to have some vegan, vegetarian,
and gluten-free options available, but bring what
you need with some to spare if you can. Donations
are appreciated for Scott’s legal defense fund.

With love,
The Scott & Carrie Support Committee (SCSC)

http://davenportgrandjury.wordpress.com