[Ppnews] Support Dakota Organizer Scott DeMuth against AETA!

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jan 11 17:50:21 EST 2010

UPDATE  AND  FUND  DRIVE  TO  SUPPORT  SCOTT  DEMUTH!
LETS KEEP HIM OUT!
SUPPORT DAKOTA LIBERATION!
FIGHT THE GREEN SCARE & RESIST THE REPRESSION OF ALL SOCIAL MOVEMENTS!

<http://davenportgrandjury.wordpress.com/>http://davenportgrandjury.wordpress.com/

     Hello Friends from far and wide!

      I am writing to give you all an update on the legal case of
Scott DeMuth, a friend of mine who is a Dakota organizer, currently
facing bogus conspiracy charges under the AETA, Animal Enterprise
Terrorism Act. The Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act (AETA) is a 2006
piece of legislation that makes interference with and protest of
animal enterprises, including First Amendment-protected activities,
terrorism. I also want to ask you ask you to assist in raising the
$10,000 we need to have by WEDNESDAY, January 13th, for the retainer
fee for Scott's legal defense. If you are receiving this later than
this date, please know we are in an ongoing fund drive for legal
costs! Please read below to learn more about how Scott's case fits
into a long history of indigenous resistance to genocide and
colonization, the green scare, and state repression of movements for
liberation. We are raising funds for Scott to be represented by
Micheal Deutsch of the People's Law Office in Chicago, a collective
of radical political lawyers founded forty years ago to investigate
the murder of Fred Hampton. Deutsch has a long history of supporting
revolutionary organizers, and we believe he will be the best person
to represent Scott!

     So, here's the story :

     Scott DeMuth and Carrie Feldman are two Minneapolis activists
who were subpeonaed to a federal grand jury in Davenport, Iowa, in
November. Both refused to testify in the grand jury, which was opened
to investigate a high-profile Animal Liberation Front action that
occured at the University of Iowa in 2004. Both were given immunity,
and thus, jailed for their principled refusal to testify. Two days
after being jailed in contempt of court, Scott received charges of
conspiracy. It is very clear that the government has very little
evidence with which to prosecute Scott, manipulating the contents of
items seized from his home during a house raid prior to RNC in 2008.
The prosecution has changed their tune a few times, first arguing
that he was involved in the incident, then implying that they believe
he has knowledge of those involved. Scott, a graduate sociology
student at the University of Minnesota, had all his research into
animal rights movements seized during the 2008 house raid, and has
stated that as sociologist, his credibility hinges on his commitment
to protect the privacy of his subjects. The 5 year statute of
limitations on investigating this action was to end the day after he
was charged-- which would have meant the incident could no longer be
investigated. It appears that the government has charged Scott in
order to keep the case open so they can continue look for people to
charge. Carrie remains jailed to this day.

     Over the last ten years, the government has led a campaign to
smash radical environmental and animal liberation movements. This
campaign is referred to as the "Green Scare" by activists and
organizers involved in these movements. Some believe that these
movements have been targeted because they are "bastard movements,"
often unsupported and unpopular within the broader left, and thus a
place that the government can set precedent and normalize their
tactics of repression, with passive consent from society and the
larger left. These same tactics have been used to divide and repress
social movements against oppression since the chicken & the egg, and
this will continue as long as our movements remain divided.

     A bit about Scott...

     To give you a sense of Scott as a person and organizer: Scott is
a Dakota descendant who has committed his life to the Dakota
Liberation and decolonization struggle. One hundred and fifty years
ago, Mnisota Makoce, the center of Dakota & Oceti Sakowin homelands,
was colonized by the settler colonial United States. The Dakota
Uprising of 1862 led to the exile of all Dakota people from the
newfound state of Minnesota. After the uprising, women and children
were force marched to a concentration camp established at the sacred
Bdote, the site of the Dakota genesis story. Men were force marched
to Davenport, Iowa, the same place Scott's trial will occur, and to
Mankato, Minnesota, were the largest mass execution in US history was
held, of 38 Dakota Warriors, ordered by Abraham Lincoln. Dakota
people became illegal in Minnesota and governor Ramsey ordered the
bountied extermination of any Dakota people found within the state.
Dakota people became scattered, as they have remained since-- spread
out on reservations and communities in South Dakota, Nebraska,
Canada, and other surrounding areas.

     Scott is part of many grassroots community projects in
Minnesota. He is a part of the Anpao Duta (Red Dawn) Collective, a
Dakota community journal used to build power and awareness in Dakota
communities of the growing decolonization struggles underway. He is a
Dakota language student at the University of Minnesota, and part of
Oyate Nipi Kte (The People Shall Live), a collective working to
acquire land in order to establish liberated space for traditional
Dakota language, cultural, spiritual, and community immersion. Scott
worked to facilitate the creation of Unsettling Minnesota, a settler
anti-colonial collective working to support Dakota decolonization
projects. He also participates in EWOK! (Earth Warriors are OK!), a
collective committed to supporting political prisoners, particularly
those targeted by the green scare. Many green scare targets have been
people doing green scare political prisoner support work like that of
EWOK!. Scott is recognized and respected within his various
communities for his commitment to Dakota Liberation & to building
communities of resistance and solidarity. He is a powerful and
inspiring person to me, and to many many people in his communities.

     Here in Minneapolis our community is strapped financially, as
Scott and Carrie are now two more in addition to the eight members of
the RNC 8 -- a total of ten people in our small community who are
facing felony, "terrorism" related charges. Please support the
struggle against state repression, against the AETA and the Green
Scare, and for Dakota Liberation by donating funds so Scott can get
the best legal representation available, with Micheal Deutcsh.

DONATE FUNDS ONLINE WITH PAYPAL AT:
<http://davenportgrandjury.wordpress.com/>http://davenportgrandjury.wordpress.com/

If you don't want to use Paypal, you can make checks out to Coldsnap
Legal Collective with EWOK! in the memo line, and send them to EWOK!
c/o Coldsnap, PO Box 50514, Minneapolis, MN 55405.