[Ppnews] Surge in government repression: FBI visits, warrants

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Aug 31 10:32:39 EDT 2010

Surge in government repression: FBI visits, warrants, more

by Voice of the Voiceless ( <mailto:info at voiceofthevoiceless.org>info
[at] voiceofthevoiceless.org )
http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2010/08/31/18657228.php

Tuesday Aug 31st, 2010 1:30 AM
A roundup of recent FBI visits, subpoenas, and other government
assaults on the animal liberation movement

A roundup of recent FBI visits, subpoenas, and other government
assaults on the animal liberation movement:

New AETA 4 DNA warrant

This week, Joseph Buddenberg of the AETA 4 was the target of a
warrant for his DNA. A quote from the agent who authored the affidavit:

"I believe probable cause exists that Buddenberg was involved in the
February 24, 2008 altercation at the L.H./J.R. residence in Santa
Cruz.... The samples from the bullhorn found in Khajavi's vehicle
will yield evidence that Buddenberg was involved in force, violence,
and threats involving animal enterprises, in violation of 18 U.S.C. 43 & 371"

<http://www.voiceofthevoiceless.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/aeta-4-buddenberg-affidavit.pdf>Read
the full affidavit here.

Buddenberg submitted himself to FBI agents this week, who took four
swabs of DNA.

While the AETA 4 indictment was recently thrown out, this recent
government offensive indicates the case is not yet over. The case ,
if continued, stands to be a precedent-setting Animal Enterprise
Terrorism Act case with implications for all activists.

Carrie Feldman Re-subpoenaed

Last week, Carrie Feldman was approached by FBI agents in Rock
Island, IL, and handed a subpoena,ordering her to testify at the
trial of Scott DeMuth. DeMuth is charged with a conspiracy role in
the A.L.F. raid of the University of Iowa, in which 401 animals were
rescued. The trial is set to begin on September 13th.

Feldman was previously jailed for four months after refusing to
testify to the grand jury investigating the Iowa raid.

FBI visit

The FBI reportedly visited a former east coast activist last week,
inquiring about an animal rights activist in Utah. The questioning
appears to be related to the recent raid of an activist house in Salt
Lake City.

Rod Coronado sent back to prison

Rod Coronado has been sentenced to four months in prison for a
probation violation. A judge found him guilty of adding well-known
Earth First! co-founder Mike Rosselle as a friend on Facebook, which
the judge found violated his probation conditions. The conditions bar
Coronado from associating with anyone involved with Earth First. He
was also found to have used a computer which was not approved by the
probation department.

Another FBI Visit

An activist in Minneaoplis was approached by two FBI agents at a gas
station August 16th. The report does not specify what the agents were
investigating, or what information was sought. The person refused to
speak to them, and drove away. Read the full report below.

****

Here's what I recall about my encounter with the FBI today: I was
topping off a full tank of gas at the Holiday Gas Station in Plymouth
(Rockford Road and HWY 169) at 10:28am this morning when two FBI
agents approached me. They identified themselves. One was heavset
with dark short hair. The other was skinnier with a goatee and
shorter dark hair. The skinnier agent did all the talking. I mostly
ignored their presence by looking at them and stating, "I have
nothing to say to you guys." I then hung up my gas pump and walked
into the Holiday Gas Station to pay. The two agents followed me as I
walked across the parking lot to pay inside the gas station. They
stopped at the door and waited for me when I went inside to pay.

After I paid and exited the building, the two agents followed me to
my vehicle. They were persistenly asking me to cooperate with them
and repeatedly mentioned that they wanted to give me an
"opportunity." Again, I ignored their presence as I walked to my
vehicle, opened my door, and drove away. It was 10:32am when I left
the parking of the gas station. To my knowledge, they did not follow me.

They were standing by a red (metallic red) four door (pontiac?) with
licence plate # MNB 615 (or a combination of those letters and numbers).

Dialogue I remember them saying to me as I was ignoring them:

"Dominoes are starting to fall all around," and "we want to give you
an opportunity," and

"it would be shame if you didn't talk to us." My daughter was
concerned because she heard them say the word "kids" when I was
getting into the car and shutting the door. I don't know what exactly
they said, but it was probably something to push my buttons. My two
children were with me when the agents approached me today. All three
of us are fine now.

Feel free to pass this info on to any lists or groups that you wish.

Dr. Toxic

If you have been conctacted by he FBI, call the National Lawyers
Guild Green Scare Hotline at: 1-888-NLG-ECOL.

- Peter Young
<http://www.voiceofthevoiceless.org/>http://www.voiceofthevoiceless.org/