[Ppnews] A Trip to Prison to See One of the Cuban Five - Danny Glover & Saul Landau

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Aug 19 11:34:23 EDT 2010

http://www.counterpunch.org/

August 19, 2010

A Trip to Prison to See One of the Cuban Five

Visiting Gerardo

By DANNY GLOVER and SAUL LANDAU

 From the Ontario California airport some 60
miles east of downtown Los Angeles we drove north
on Highway 15, the road to Las Vegas. Cars with
expectant amateur gamblers and loaded big rigs
climb and descend the mountains where the Angeles
and San Bernadino National Forests meet.

To the east lies the high desert some 4,000 feet
above sea level. Amidst junipers, Joshua trees
and sagebrush, we turn off from the man-made
freeway to the jester’s creation of a shopping
mall in Hesperia where we pick up Chavela,
Gerardo Hernandez’ older sister. (Danny changes
trousers because the prison doesn’t allow visitors to wear khaki).

We pass fast food joints with chain names, nail
and hair salons, tattoo parlors, gas stations and
min-marts (a drive by of American culture) going
west and then north on 395 to the six year old
US. Federal Penitentiary Complex, a 630,000
square foot high-security prison ($101.4
million); designed to cage 960 male inmates.

In the institutional grey visitors’ lobby a guard
hands us forms with numbers on top, nods at a
book to sign and eye-signals to a pile of pens.
We write, hand him back the forms (Danny had to
stand against the wall while a guard recorded his
photo onto the prison computer) and sit in the
gray waiting room with other visitors – all black
and Latino. (Saul’s and Chavela’s pix were
already stored in the prison computer from previous visits).

We wait for twenty minutes. A guard calls our
number. We empty our pockets except for money.
(Danny checks his car keys; Saul hands over a pen
fastened to his shirt pocket). We pass through a
sensitive airport-type screening machine, pick up
our belts and eyeglasses that have gone through
Xray, and extend our inner forearms for stamping
by another uniformed guard. Two black women and
an elderly Latino couple get the same treatment.
We exchange nervous smiles. Visitors in a strange land!

He passes our ids through a drawer connected to
another sealed room on the opposite side of a
thick plastic window. A guard there checks the
documents and pushes buttons to open a heavy
metal door. The group enters an outdoor passage.
Blinding late morning sun and desert heat shocks
our bodies after the air-conditioned chambers. We
wait. A guard confers through a small slit in the
door of the building housing the inmates – gun
towers on each side; masses of rolled barbed wire
covering the tops of concrete walls.

We wait, get hot, then enter another air cooled
chamber; finally, a door opens into the visitor
room. A guard assigns us a tiny plastic table,
surrounded by three cheap plastic chairs, on one
side (for us) and one on the other for Gerardo.
African American and Latino children exchange
places on their fathers’ laps as daddies in khaki
prison overalls chat with their wives.

Chavela spots him 20 minutes later, waving, and
bouncing across the room. Chavela almost crying
says “He’s lost weight.” He seems the same weight
as when Landau saw him in the Spring. Gerardo
hugs and kisses his sister, embraces Saul and
then Danny, thanking him for his efforts to
spring him from the hole, where he spent 13 days in late July and early August.

Two FBI agents who were investigating an incident
unrelated to his case, he informs us, questioned
Gerardo in prison. Then, prison authorities
tossed Gerardo into the hole although there
existed no evidence, logic or common sense that
could possibly have implicated him into the
alleged occurrence. The temperatures inside the
hole rose to the high nineties. “I had to use my
drinking water to keep me cool, pouring it on
head,” Gerardo told us. “It didn’t help my high
blood pressure. I couldn’t even take my medicine.
But, I think, thanks to the thousands of phone
calls and letters from people everywhere they let me out.”

Chavela kept bringing junk food to the table –
the only kind available from the vending
machines. We nibbled compulsively while Gerardo
told about living in a sweat-box for almost two
weeks. “No air circulated in there,” he laughed, as if to say “no big deal.”

We talked about Cuba. He kept up on the news,
reading, watching TV and from visitors who
informed him. He felt encouraged by steps
President Raul Castro had taken to deal with the
crisis. He had watched on the prison television
parts of Fidel’s speech and "q and a" from the
Cuban National Assembly Meeting. “I saw Adriana
[his wife],” who sat in the audience. His smile
faded. “You know what’s painful. She’s 40 and I’m
45. We don’t have that much time to have a family
together. The United States won’t even give her a
visa to visit me. She’s behaved with such courage
and dignity throughout this ordeal.”

Gerardo Hernandez, one of the Cuban 5, is serving
two life sentences for conspiracy to commit
espionage and aiding and abetting murder.
Prosecutors presented no evidence of espionage at
the Miami trial. The aiding and abetting charge
presumed evidence not shown that Gerardo sent to
Cuba flight details of the Brothers to the Rescue
planes shot down by Cuban MIGs in February 1996,
which he did not, and that he knew of secret
Cuban government orders to shoot them down, which he did not.

The 5 men monitored and reported on Cuban exile
terrorists in Miami who had plotted bombings and
assassinations in Cuba. Cuba then shared this
information with the FBI. Larry Wilkerson,
(retired army Colonel and Secretary of State
Colin Powell’s former Chief of Staff) compared
the 5’s chance of getting a fair trial in Miami
to an accused “Israeli’s chance of justice in Teheran.”

We sipped cloyingly sweet, bottled, iced tea.
Chavela brought more potato chips.

Gerardo, reanimated the mood by recalling an
incident when in the 1980s, as a Lieutenant in
Cabinda, Angola, he escorted top Cuban officers
to a dinner-party with visiting Soviet brass. “I
told my Colonel I had memorized a short
Mayakovsky poem in Russian (from his school
classes) and could recite it to the Soviet officers.

He recited the poem to us in Russian. We
applauded. He smiled. “They were roasting a pig
and had bottles of booze, a party.”

“I recited the poem. The Soviet colonel hugged
me, kissed me on both cheeks -- very emotional. I
had to repeat my performance for the other
officers. Finally, the Cuban Colonel told me I’d
milked the scene long enough and I left.”

Two hours passed quickly. We waited for the
guards to let us out. Gerardo stood at attention
against a wall near the cell-block door next to
another prisoner. We gave him a fist salute. He
returned it. His sister blew a kiss. He grinned
reassuringly – as if to remind us. “Stay strong.”

Danny Glover is an activist and an actor.

Saul Landau is an Institute for Policy Studies
fellow and author of
<http://www.easycartsecure.com/CounterPunch/CounterPunch_Books.html>A
Bush and Botox World (AK Press / CounterPunch).