[Ppnews] Panther Political Prisoner Eddie Conway's New Book:The Greatest Threat

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Apr 29 17:19:29 EDT 2010

Via Kiilu Nyasha

Greetings All:

Be sure to check out the letter from Eddie.  Eddie had sent
it to me with a personal note prior to hearing from Erica Woodland, so
I asked if she had it online so I could share it with y'all.  You will
surely understand after reading it why brothers like Eddie are being
locked away from our oppressed communities, especially our "at risk"
youth.

Eddie has been incarcerated now for 40 years!

Free Eddie and all political prisoners.
Free 'em all!
Peace, power, and love,

Kiilu

SPRING LETTER from Eddie Conway

Greetings,
I hope this update finds everyone in good health
and high spirits. April of 2010 will mark the
fortieth (40) year that I have been held
unjustly. I would say illegally but the fact is
that, those in power change the definition of
what is legal whenever it suits them. However,
regardless of what definition they ascribe to my
imprisonment, the facts remains, I am here
because of what I believe not for anything that I
have done. I have delayed writing this update for
a couple months while waiting to release my book
The Greatest Threat...  More on the book later

First, a look back to the last update and the
progress made since then. In 2009, we started a
mentoring project known as Friend of A Friend at
the institution where I'm now housed. The last
seven months of 2009 were spent training 20
prisoners to be mentors. Eighteen of these men
graduated with the help of the American Friend
Service Committee's Peace with Justice Program in
Baltimore. We are currently training twenty-five
new mentees. Our goal: through our shared skills,
experience and knowledge we will produce
prisoners that are critical thinkers and able
leaders. This will go a long way in changing the
direction of the prison system and the
communities from which these young men come.

During our initial training process, we worked
with a local Baltimore production group WombWork
Productions. Together we presented a play for the
general population entitled THE BIRTH OF PEACE.
The success of this collaboration can be measured
by the feedback we got from the general
population here. The men crave these type of
activities because the help them overcome the
boredom and monotony of incarceration, and this
in turn helps to reduce the violence. We have a
lengthy waiting list for new mentees and our
current mentees are very enthusiastic about being
a part of Friend of A Friend. The play was about
finding a peaceful resolution to conflicts
between the various street organizations in our
communities, we intend on presenting this play again.

As the years have rolled by my concern for my
family has grown significantly. Too many of my
young family members are growing up and I am
missing out on being there for them, or
experiencing their progress. For example, some of
my grandchildren are now going to school and
others are going to college. These are memories
I'm only able to experience from afar. My older
family members (in particular my mother Eleanor)
are experiencing some minor health issues. The
fact is many of us are just getting old.
Personally, I'm still struggling with high blood
pressure, but I believe it is under control.
Gaining my freedom will correct most of these things.

My new legal team is researching my case in order
to wage the next legal battle to gain my freedom.
My role in this effort will be focused on the
fundraising activities. So far, we have been very successful in this endeavor.

The support committees in Oakland, Los Angeles,
and individuals in Baltimore have done great
fundraising work. Other supporters around the
country and abroad, have helped with both large
and small donations. I extend a heartfelt thanks
to everyone. We are only $15,000 short of our
goal, and hope to raise this amount during our
next fundraising drive. To this end, we plan to
use my new book, The Greatest Threat.

The Greatest Threat examines the plight of the
Black Panther Party Political Prisoners/POW's and
the role of the FBI's Counter-Intelligence
Program in their imprisonment. It is my belief
that we need to examine this phenomenon and how
it has impacted anti-establishment activities and
dissent. This book is my attempt to put into
political perspective the system's response to any form of social discontent.

To help in our fundraising drive we are giving a
copy of The Greatest Threat to anyone who donates
$20.00 to the legal defense fund effort. Anyone
who can pledge future contributions, please
contact Erica Woodland at (410) 908-9865 or
erica_woodland at hotmail.com, for additional
information. Thanks for your continuing support.
In Struggle,
Eddie

The Greatest Threat: The Black Panther Party and
COINTELPRO by Marshall Edward Conway
The Greatest Threat puts the government’s war on
the Panthers into historical context. Marshall
“Eddie” Conway, a veteran of the Black Panther
Party who has been held as a political prisoner
for four decades, has compiled the available
documentation and research on COINTELPRO, and
traced its dirty history, from the active
repression of the black revolutionary movement of
the 1960’s and 1970’s, to the conditions of Black
America today and the dozens of political
prisoners who remain in U.S. prisons on charges
stemming from their involvement in the Black liberation movement.
iAMWE Publications, January 2010
PO 4628
Baltimore, MD 21212
Baltimore 21212
To order this book for donation of $20 contact
Erica Woodland at (410) 908-9865 or erica_woodland at hotmail.com

Coming Soon:
Marshall Law: The Life and Times of a Baltimore
Black Panther, by Marshall “Eddie” Conway.  The
autobiography of Eddie Conway.   February 2011 |
232 pages | $15.95   AK Press

In 1970, the feds framed Eddie Conway for the
murder of a Baltimore City Police officer. He was
24 years old. They threw him in prison, took him
away from his family, his friends, and his
organizing, and tried to relegate him to a life
marked by nothing but legal appeals, riots and
lockdowns, transfers from one penal colony to the next. But they failed.

Forty years later, still incarcerated for a crime
he didn’t commit, Eddie Conway continues to
resist. Marshall Law is a poignant story of
strength and struggle. From his childhood in
inner-city Baltimore to his political awakening
in the military, from the rise of the Black
Panther Party to the sham trial, the realities of
prison life, escape attempts, labor organizing on
the inside, and beyond, Eddie’s autobiography is
a reminder that we all share the responsibility
of resistance, no matter where we are.

M. Eddie Conway #116469
Jessup Correctional Institution
P.0. Boy 534