[Ppnews] New report calls for justice for U.S. political prisoners

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Apr 28 10:39:41 EDT 2010

http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/printer_6923.shtml

POLITICAL PRISONERS LOCKED AWAY IN THE "LAND OF THE FREE"

New report calls for justice for U.S. political
prisoners and takes human rights case to the United Nations

U.S. political prisoners have endured decades of
abuse, many face death in prison

By Richard B. Muhammad -Editor-in-Chief

     CHICAGO (FinalCall.com) - When it comes to
the United Nations and countries charged with
rights violations, the United States is usually
the chief accuser of others and remains a
self-ordained defender of human rights.

     But a recent report filed with the world
body raises the ugly issue of political prisoners
and repression in America and her human rights violations.

     "The United States is very, very concerned
when its citizens begin to raise questions in
these international forums, because the United
States still prefers to posture itself, including
the Obama administration, as still the leader of
the free world and that they don't have any human
rights violations and they certainly don't have
any political prisoners, and we have to dispel
that notion in the international community," said
Stan Willis, of the National Conference of Black Lawyers.

     Atty. Willis filed the report April 14 as
part of a process in which the United Nations
reviews the status of each country and its human
rights record. The U.S. is currently under review
and will respond in November during a gathering in Geneva, Switzerland.

     The United Nations' Universal Period Review
process was introduced in 2006 and
community-based, non-governmental and other
organizations are allowed to point out human
rights issues within their countries and where
they feel violations of international law or UN treaties have been committed.

     For Black America, the process is another
way to hold the U.S. government accountable and
to demand the release of Black Power era leaders
and members of organizations whose political
views are objectionable, said Mr. Willis, in an interview.

     Beyond freeing an aging population of some
100 former Black Panthers, members of the MOVE
organization and other revolutionary-oriented
groups, taking the issue to the United Nations
puts America and her dirty laundry on front
street, said the longtime activist and lawyer.

     "They (American officials) do not want to
have these issues reach the world's people. How
do you go into Iraq or Afghanistan telling people
about their democracy when you got Black people
that are locked down in prison for 30-40 years as political prisoners?"

     Whether the problem was leftist ideology,
nationalists and those calling for a Black
homeland, demands for a new economic order or
Native American rights and anti-Vietnam War
efforts, government security agencies infiltrated dissident groups.

     The security activity went hand-in-hand with
crackdowns on Black, Latino, Native American and
even some White groups demanding a more just and
peaceful society­and greater demands for respect
for rights and opposition to police violence.

     "Such repression resulted in murders,
injuries, false arrests, malicious prosecutions
and lengthy imprisonments of scores of political activists," the report said.

     The continued incarceration and mistreatment
of these prisoners violates UN treaties and
conventions that guarantee human rights, forbid
torture and outlaw racial and political targeting
by government, the report charges.
     Surveillance and destroying organizations

     The plight of political prisoners is largely
rooted in the 1960s-1970s era surveillance
against Black groups, which included respected
civil rights organizations as well as so-called
Black radicals, according to Mr. Willis. About
two-thirds of the jailed dissidents are Black, he said.

     The FBI teamed with local law enforcement to
attack, disrupt and destroy groups like the Black
Panther Party and the Nation of Islam, the
Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC),
which was admitted during congressional hearings
in 1976 empanelled to probe these secret domestic wars.

     The covert Counterintelligence Program run
by then-FBI director J. Edgar Hoover, and
approved by the White House, focused in specially
on the Black Panther Party, and most political
prisoners are either former Panthers or from
MOVE, a radical "back-to-nature" group whose
homes were bombed by the Philadelphia Police Department in 1985.

     "U.S. political prisoners have languished in
U.S. prisons for decades under cruel and inhumane
conditions. Several have died in prison; others
have endured years of solitary confinement, poor
medical health care, various other forms of
abuse, and perfunctory parole hearings resulting
in routine denial of human rights," the report noted.

     The report calls for the unconditional
release of political prisoners jailed as a result
of the government's Counterintelligence Program,
an executive review of all cases related to the
covert operation, a murder probe into the deaths
of Panthers Fred Hampton and Mark Clark and
actions to repair and redress harm done and to
prevent similar acts in the future.

     While Atty. Willis is pushing the plight of
political prisoners, he said the impact of the
government wrongdoing went beyond the heavy price
young activists paid at the time.

     "Movements move forward with masses of
people but they move forward with a certain kind
of leadership," said Mr. Willis.

     During the revolutionary times of the 1960s
and 1970s, youth and students were influenced by
the efforts of the Nation of Islam, Congress of
Racial Equality, and NAACP as well as the African
liberation movement on the continent and Cuba's revolution, he continued.

     A type of leadership was developing that
America had never seen before and the government
moved to crush that leadership, Mr. Willis said.

     The Panthers and SNCC were wiped out and law
enforcement and government sent clear signals
that if others persisted in demanding progressive
action they would also be destroyed, he said.

     "Our community suffered. Our community
deserves reparations just on that issue because
it set us back in the 1960s and we see where we
are now, we haven't recovered from that," he
said. "It's not just those in prison that
suffered, and they certainly suffered mightily
because they have been locked down and some of
them are dying in prison. Fred Hampton and Mark
Clark were murdered. But the community suffered,"
he said. Young leaders Hampton and Clark headed
the Illinois chapter of the Black Panther Party.
They were shot and killed in a police raid on a west side home in 1969.
     U.S. power vs. the power of the people

     While the U.S. wields considerable power at
the United Nations, in particular with its veto
power on the Security Council, Atty. Willis
rejects the notion that holding the superpower to
international standards is a futile effort.

     The General Assembly is largely made up of
delegates from around the world, and public
opinion and moral authority is bigger than U.S. power, he said.

     The lawyer pointed to fighting in Chicago
for two decades for Blacks tortured in a police
precinct and officers under former police
commander John Burge. It was only after the case,
which involved hundreds of suspects coerced into
making confessions because of torture, was put
before international bodies that U.S. law
enforcement officials moved against Mr. Burge. He
will go on trial May 10 in federal court and is
accused of obstruction of justice and perjury.

     "It was only after the United Nations
mentioned torture in the context of Abu Grahaib,
Guantanamo Bay and Chicago, in the same
paragraph, that John Burge was indicted within
months of that," Mr. Willis said. The Justice
Dept. reached out about the case after the world
body noted the violations, he said.
     International forums and broader remedies

     More involvement is needed in international
forums, where violations of basic rights to
education, health, employment, housing, and
abuses of discrimination and police brutality can
be brought out, Mr. Willis argued.

     Essentially the forums provide a way to call
attention to government failures or misdeeds and
ask that the UN or other bodies where the U.S.
holds membership to investigate and demand
America comply with international law or
treaties. The forums can also be highly
embarrassing for the world's greatest democracy.

     "We can have a mighty voice because when we
speak in the international context it resonates
with African people all over the world, unlike
anybody else, and they look for us to speak
because they know we are in the lion's den," said Atty. Willis.

     The U.S. civil rights laws also say what
government can't do, while the international
standards stress what countries must do, Mr.
Willis explained. Under the United Nations
standards, countries must educate children and
localities could not argue that because of a
lower tax base Black children get a lesser
quality or failing education, he explained.

     Remedies are much broader in the
international context, which include reparations
as a common remedy, but civil rights laws don't
provide for reparations, Mr. Willis added.

     It's not just going to Geneva but
confronting local entities, like school
districts, and being able to redefine education
and press districts to come in line with
international standards, he said. Blacks have
also tried to take their struggle to the United
Nations in the past, Mr. Willis said.

     "We have a history of trying to get there,
but we haven't got there because I think we got
so focused on civil rights we forgot there is a
remedy out there and we can draw on the
collective sentiments of the world community by
trying to take our case into a more international
forum," he said. "We don't have to rely on who is
the president, we can force the president because
the president and the administration is very,
very sensitive to world opinion. There is no question about that," he said.

     Concerns about the arrest and targeting of
Arab and Palestinian communities and Muslims
after 9-11 and 23-hour-a-day lockdowns make
government abuses relevant today, Atty. Willis said.

     Political prisoners have traditionally been
locked down, not because they violated prison
policy or disrupted prison but because officials
don't want disruption based on ideas, he said.

     The Obama administration, unlike its
predecessors, has taken the position that they
support human rights and the U.S. has a member on
the Human Rights Council, said Mr. Willis.

     His goal is to get the political prisoners
on the agenda, but filing a report isn't enough, he said.

     It will take more awareness and education of
the Black community, activism and lobbying for
political prisoners at the United Nations, town
hall meetings to explain where the issues are,
and getting the academic and faith communities to
weigh in on the problem, he said.

     "It's a way of organizing our people and
encouraging them to take these international
forums seriously and adding that to their tools
of raising issues related to various problems we
have in the United States. It doesn't mean you stop doing anything else.

     "The fact that I am trying to raise issues
in the international forum doesn't mean I am stopping suing police," he said.

     "It just means this is an additional weapon
that we have to try to get this country in
compliance with international human rights laws."

     FCN is a distributor (and not a publisher)
of content supplied by third parties. Original
content supplied by FCN and FinalCall.com News is
Copyright 2009 FCN Publishing, FinalCall.com.
Content supplied by third parties are the property of their respective owners.