[Ppnews] Guantanamo - Judge Rules Yemeni's Detention Based Solely on Torture

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Apr 23 13:02:00 EDT 2010

http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington04232010.html

April 23 - 25, 2010

Judge Rules Yemeni's Detention Based Solely on Torture

Guantanamo and Habeas Corpus

By ANDY WORTHINGTON

On February 24, as I reported in an article
entitled,
“<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2010/03/02/the-black-hole-of-guantanamo/>The
Black Hole of Guantánamo,” Judge Henry H. Kennedy
Jr. granted the habeas corpus petition of Uthman
Abdul Rahim Mohammed Uthman, a Yemeni who was
seized crossing the border from Afghanistan to
Pakistan in December 2001. In the absence of the
judge’s unclassified opinion explaining why he
had ordered his release, I provided only a brief
explanation of what was publicly known of his story, stating:

As I explained in my book
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0745326641/counterpunchmaga>The
Guantánamo Files, Uthman, who was 22 years old at
the time of his capture, “said that he had
traveled between Kabul and Khost teaching the
Koran from March to December 2001.” Although he
“admitted that he had stayed at a Taliban house
in Quetta, Pakistan, which was the normal entry
point for volunteers who had come to fight with
the Taliban,” he stated that this was “only
because he had been told that it was the only way
for him to enter Afghanistan.”

Judge Kennedy’s opinion was released a month ago
(<http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2010/03/16/12/uthmanhabeas.source.prod_affiliate.56.pdf>PDF),
but was then abruptly withdrawn, and, perhaps
with unnecessary delicacy, I held off from
analyzing it, waiting for it to be reissued, as I
was uncertain how much would be redacted. When
the revised opinion was finally released on April
21
(<http://static1.firedoglake.com/28/files/2010/04/UthmaanDecision.pdf>PDF),
I realized that the name of a criminal
investigator with the Naval Criminal
Investigative Service had been removed, as had
other named operatives, but that other key
elements had not; specifically, the names of two
other prisoners who alleged that Uthman “acted as
a bodyguard for Osama bin Laden.” These two men
are Sharqwi Abdu Ali al-Hajj and Sanad Yislam Ali
al-Kazimi, and in the most important part of the opinion, Judge Kennedy stated:

The Court will not rely on the statements of Hajj
or Kazimi because there is unrebutted evidence in
the record that, at the time of the
interrogations at which they made the statements,
both men had recently been tortured.

The torture of Sharqwi Abdu Ali al-Hajj

This, alarmingly, was something of an
understatement. Al-Hajj (also identified as Abdu
Ali Sharqawi, but more commonly known as Riyadh
the Facilitator) was seized in a house raid in
Pakistan in February 2002 and was then rendered
to Jordan, one of
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2010/01/29/un-secret-detention-report-asks-where-are-the-cia-ghost-prisoners/>at
least 15 prisoners whose torture was outsourced
to the Jordanian authorities between 2001 and
2004, where he was held for nearly two years
before being transferred to the CIA’s “Dark
Prison” near Kabul, and then, via Bagram, to Guantánamo.

As Judge Kennedy explained, he told his lawyer,
Kristin B. Wilhelm, that, “while held in Jordan,
he ‘was regularly beaten and threatened with
electrocution and molestation,’ and he eventually
‘manufactured facts’ and confessed to his
interrogators’ allegation ‘in order to make the
torture stop.’” In the “Dark Prison,” he added,
he was “kept in complete darkness and was subject to continuous loud music.”

Al-Hajj’s descriptions of the “Dark Prison”
correspond with those of numerous other
prisoners, including the British resident
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2010/02/12/binyam-mohamed-evidence-of-torture-by-us-agents-revealed-in-uk/>Binyam
Mohamed, whose descriptions were included in my
article,
“<http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington12152008.html>Hit
Me Baby One More Time: A History of Music Torture
in the War on Terror.” However, what is missing
from the analysis of his time in Jordan is a more
sustained narrative of torture, false confessions
and his torturers’ regular contact with the CIA,
which emerged in
<http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2008/04/09/well-make-you-see-death>a
letter given to Joanne Mariner of Human Rights
Watch during a visit to Jordan in 2008, which had
been written by al-Hajj during his detention,
around October 2002. In this note, which was
smuggled out of the prison, he explained that he
“was held as a secret prisoner by the Jordanian
intelligence service: unregistered, cut off from
all communication and hidden during visits by
representatives of the International Committee of
the Red Cross,” and gave the following “short
summary of my sufferings,” as reported by Mariner:

“They beat me up in a way that does not know
mercy,” Sharqawi wrote, referring to his
Jordanian captors, “and they're still beating me.
They threatened me with electricity, with snakes
and dogs ... [They said] we'll make you see death.”

Sharqawi described his interrogations, explaining
that the Jordanians were feeding his responses back to the CIA.

“Every time that the interrogator asks me about a
certain piece of information, and I talk,”
Sharqawi said, “he asks me if I told this to the
Americans. And if I say no he jumps for joy, and
he leaves me and goes to report it to his superiors, and they rejoice.”

In Human Rights Watch’s final report,
“<http://www.hrw.org/en/node/62263/section/5>Double
Jeopardy,” the extent to which he was
interrogated about other men -- using photos
that, in Afghanistan and Guantánamo, were
apparently described as “the family album” -- was
revealed in the following passage, which not only
explains the pressures that led to him providing
a false allegation against Uthman Abdul Rahim
Mohammed Uthman in Bagram, but also indicates how
hundreds -- or thousands -- of other false allegations may have been extracted:

I was being interrogated all the time, in the
evening and in the day. I was shown thousands of
photos, and I really mean thousands, I am not
exaggerating ... And in between all this you have
the torture, the abuse, the cursing, humiliation.
They had threatened me with being sexually abused
and electrocuted. I was told that if I wanted to
leave with permanent disability both mental and
physical, that that could be arranged. They said
they had all the facilities of Jordan to achieve
that. I was told that I had to talk, I had to tell them everything.

The torture of Sanad al-Kazimi

The story of Sanad al-Kazimi’s false confession
is just as distressing. Seized in the United Arab
Emirates in January 2003, he was subsequently
handed over to U.S. forces, who rendered him to
an unidentified secret CIA prison, and then to
the “Dark Prison” and Bagram, and, as Judge
Kennedy explained, he told his lawyer, Martha
Rayner, that, “while [he] was detained outside
the United States, his interrogators beat him;
held him naked and shackled in a cold dark cell;
dropped him into cold water while his hands and
legs were bound; and sexually abused him. Kazimi
told Rayner that eventually “[h]e made up his
mind to say ‘Yes’ to anything the interrogators said to avoid further torture.”

After this he was relocated to the “Dark Prison,”
where, he said, “he was always in darkness and

was hooded, given injections, beaten, hit with
electric cables, suspended from above, made to be
naked, and subjected to continuous loud music.
Kazimi reportedly tried to kill himself on three
occasions. He told Rayner that he realized ‘he
could mitigate the torture by telling the
interrogators what they wanted to hear.’”

At Bagram, he continued, “he was isolated,
shackled, ‘psychologically tortured and
traumatized by guards’ desecration of the Koran’
and interrogated ‘day and night, and very
frequently.’ [He] told Rayner that he ‘tried very
hard’ to tell his interrogators in Bagram the
same information he had told his previous
interrogators ‘so they would not hurt him.’”

This is damning enough, but back in August 2007,
Jane Mayer of the
<http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/08/13/070813fa_fact_mayer>New
Yorker spoke to Ramzi Kassem, another of
al-Kazimi’s lawyers, who, as I explained in
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2007/08/13/an-unreported-story-from-guantanamo-the-tale-of-sanad-al-kazimi/>an
article at the time, added further details, telling her that:

[Al-Kazimi] was “suspended by his arms for long
periods, causing his legs to swell painfully

It’s so traumatic, he can barely speak of it. He
breaks down in tears.” He also said that
al-Kazimi “claimed that, while hanging, he was
beaten with electric cables,” and explained that
he also told him that, while in the “Dark
Prison,” he “attempted suicide three times, by
ramming his head into the walls”: “He did it
until he lost consciousness. Then they stitched
him back up. So he did it again. The next time he
woke up, he was chained, and they’d given him
tranquillizers. He asked to go to the bathroom,
and then he did it again.” On this last occasion,
Kassem added, he “was given more tranquillizers,
and chained in a more confining manner.”

The story of Uthman Abdul Rahim Mohammed Uthman

These accounts, sadly, fit a pattern of torture
and false confessions that only becomes clearer
as time passes and more evidence is revealed, and
they also confirm that the two men described
above were
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2009/04/23/ten-terrible-truths-about-the-cia-torture-memos-part-two/>amongst
the 94 prisoners -- many still unaccounted for --
who were held in secret CIA prisons and subjected
to particularly brutal treatment
(<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/UN-Secret-Detention-Report.pdf>PDF).
Compared to them, Uthman’s own story is easily overshadowed.

This is perhaps understandable, as nothing in the
government’s supposed evidence thoroughly refutes
his own assertions that he was in Afghanistan as
a missionary, because the entire case against him
is based on allegations made by other prisoners
(in addition to al-Hajj and al-Kazimi), or
attempts to infer guilt by association on the
part of the government that make him something of a cipher in his own case.

Throughout the rest of the judge’s opinion,
further attempts by the government to prove that
Uthman was a bodyguard for bin Laden, that he
trained in an al-Qaeda camp and was present at
the battle of Tora Bora (where al-Qaeda and the
Taliban fought the U.S. military and its Afghan
proxies in November and December 2001) are
bedeviled with identifications based on a
photograph and a variety of kunyas (nicknames)
that Judge Kennedy found unconvincing. The only
allegations given any substantial weight are
claims that an individual who “supported jihad”
financed his trip, that he followed a route that
was typically used by al-Qaeda recruits, and that
he was seen in two guesthouses in Afghanistan
that were reportedly associated with al-Qaeda.

Other prisoners drift in and out of this
narrative -- Abdul Hakim Bukhari, a Saudi
(<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2007/09/11/guantanamo-the-stories-of-the-16-saudis-just-released/>released
from Guantánamo in September 2007) who arrived in
Afghanistan after the 9/11 attacks for jihad but
was imprisoned as a spy, who unconvincingly
alleged that Uthman “was a member of the Osama
bin Laden
 security detail” before 9/11, when
Bukhari wasn’t in the country and could have had
no such knowledge; and Richard Belmar, a British
citizen (released in January 2005), who was
seized in Pakistan in February 2002, and who,
“when shown a picture of Uthman,” stated that he
“’may have been a lower amir,’ or leader, ‘in the
Kandahar guest house,’” even though, as seems
apparent, Belmar was not in Kandahar at the same time as Uthman.

The judge refused to disregard this statement
entirely, but, to be honest, it is difficult to
see why not, as its basis in reality appears to
be as flimsy as everything else thrown at Uthman
by the government in the hope that some of it
would stick, and, moreover,
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2005/feb/27/guantanamo.usa>Belmar
stated on his release that, on one occasion in
Bagram, “a handgun was forced into his mouth,”
and he explained, “It tasted cold, bitter. I
thought, ‘Yeah, this is getting serious, there’s
a good chance they will pull the trigger.’”

Elsewhere, the government resorted to trying out
guilt by association, claiming that, because
Uthman was seized in the vicinity of Tora Bora
with approximately 30 other men, “a few of whom
he knew from Yemen,” who “were admitted -- or at
least, alleged, al-Qaeda members, some of whom
were likely coming from Tora Bora,” the Court
should draw an inference that Uthman’s missionary story was a lie.

The truth, to be honest, is difficult to
establish, as Judge Kennedy recognized. The group
of approximately 30 men with whom Uthman was
seized have long been referred to by the
government as the
“<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2009/04/29/fair-article-dangerous-revisionism-over-guantanamo/>Dirty
Thirty,” and portrayed, as in Uthman’s case, as
bodyguards for bin Laden. Until this case came to
court, it had been presumed that the bodyguard
allegations came solely from Mohamed al-Qahtani,
the supposed 20th hijacker for the 9/11 attacks,
whose torture at Guantánamo is well-known (and
was
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2009/01/20/bush-era-ends-with-guantanamo-trial-chiefs-torture-confession/>admitted
by Pentagon official Susan Crawford in January
2009), but al-Qahtani is mysteriously absent from
Uthman’s case, as are alleged al-Qaeda member
Ibrahim al-Qosi (currently facing
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2009/12/10/chaos-and-confusion-the-return-of-the-military-commissions/>a
trial by Military Commission) and convicted
al-Qaeda member
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2010/02/01/lawyers-appeal-guantanamo-trial-convictions/>Ali
Hamza al-Bahlul, who were also captured at this time.

It may dismay the government to have to concede
that it is all but impossible to establish that
everyone seized at this time was part of
al-Qaeda, and that some of the men may have been
missionaries or humanitarian aid workers,
attempting to flee the chaos of post-invasion
Afghanistan as part of general Arab exodus, but
it is not beyond the bounds of reason that this
is the case, as Judge Kennedy accepted in his conclusion, when he stated:

In sum, the Court gives credence to evidence that
Uthman (1) studied at a school at which other men
were recruited to fight for al-Qaeda; (2)
received money for his trip to Afghanistan from
an individual who supported jihad; (3) traveled
to Afghanistan along a route also taken by
al-Qaeda recruits; (4) was seen at two al-Qaeda
guesthouses in Afghanistan; and (5) was with
al-Qaeda members in the vicinity of Tora Bora
after the battle that occurred there.

Even taken together, these facts do not convince
the Court by a preponderance of the evidence that
Uthman received and executed orders from
al-Qaeda. Although this information is consistent
with the proposition that Uthman was a part of
al-Qaeda, it is not proof of that allegation. As
explained, the record does not contain reliable
evidence that Uthman was a bodyguard for Osama
bin Laden or fought for al-Qaeda. Certainly, none
of the facts respondents have demonstrated are
true are direct evidence of fighting or otherwise
“receiv[ing] and execut[ing] orders”
 and they
do not, even together, paint an incriminating
enough picture to demonstrate that the inferences
respondents ask the Court to make are more likely
accurate than not. Associations with al-Qaeda
members, or institutions to which al-Qaeda
members have connections, are not alone enough to
demonstrate that, more likely than not, Uthman was part of al-Qaeda.

In granting Uthman’ habeas petition, Judge
Kennedy added that, “at first blush,” some of the
government’s evidence was “quite incriminating of
Uthman and supportive of the position that he is
lawfully detained,” but that, on close
examination, there was “reason not credit some of
it at all and reason to conclude that what
remains is not nearly as probative of respondent’s position as they assert.”

An alarming conclusion

This is indeed the case, but what is missing from
Judge Kennedy’s conclusion, but is glaringly
obvious from his opinion as a whole, is that the
shadows which never quite coalesce around the
barely fleshed-out figure of Uthman Abdul Rahim
Mohammed Uthman are populated not by reliable
witnesses, but by a procession of torture victims
or other prisoners worn out by endless
interrogation, who, when shown photographs,
invented stories to get the torture to stop, or
to get the interrogators off their back.

As a demonstration of how to produce false
confessions to incriminate insignificant
prisoners at Guantánamo, it would be harder to
find a document that more perfectly expresses the
brutal pointlessness of the “War on Terror” than
this opinion, and when the bigger picture is
examined -- Sharqwi Abdu Ali al-Hajj ‘s statement
that, in Jordan, “I was shown thousands of
photos, and I really mean thousands” -- the scale
of this shocking witch-hunt is explicitly revealed.

Beyond Guantánamo, where habeas judges are not
empowered to tread, who knows
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2009/06/18/world-exclusive-new-revelations-about-the-torture-of-ibn-al-shaykh-al-libi/>how
many other men were seized because of false
confessions made through the use of torture?

Note: For more on Guantánamo and habeas corpus,
see my project,
“<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2010/04/19/guantanamo-habeas-results-prisoners-34-government-13/>Guantánamo
Habeas Week.”

Andy Worthington is a British journalist, the
author of
'<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0745326641/counterpunchmaga>The
Guantánamo Files: The Stories of the 774
Detainees in America's Illegal Prison' (published
by Pluto Press), and the co-director (with Polly
Nash) of the new Guantánamo documentary,
‘<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/outside-the-law-stories-from-guantanamo/>Outside
the Law: Stories from Guantánamo.’ Visit his
website at: <http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/>www.andyworthington.co.uk

He can be reached at:
<mailto:andy at andyworthington.co.uk>andy at andyworthington.co.uk