[Ppnews] Israeli prisons suppressing Palestinian political prisoners hunger strike

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Apr 12 11:59:29 EDT 2010

Several articles follow

Qaraqe: Israeli prisons suppressing hunger strike

Published Saturday 10/04/2010 (updated) 11/04/2010 13:30
http://www.maannews.net/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=275386

Bethlehem – Ma'an – Minister of Prisoners'
Affairs Issa Qaraqe said the Israeli Prison
Service has applied punitive measures to 36
Palestinian female prisoners in the Ad-Damun
prison in response to a general hunger strike.

Qaraqe said the IPS has reduced the detainees'
recess to one her per day, prohibited them from
sending letters to their family, and further
enforced restricted access to the cantina, where
prisoners can buy stationary and other goods,
because they have participated in a hunger strike which began on 7 April.

Moreover, the minister said the prison
administration has transferred a number of
prisoners from the Nafha prison to Ber Sheva
prison in response to the hunger strike.

Detainees said they would escalate their protest
if the IPS did not respond to their demands,
which began in April against humiliating
treatment of relatives visiting detainees and
banning Gaza prisons from family visitation
rights for over four years, coinciding with the
capture of Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit by Palestinian operatives in Gaza.

Prisoners across Israeli jails have boycotted
family visits throughout April, and many have
participated in the hunger strike. Further hunger
strikes are expected to commence on 17 and 27 April.

Addameer call for demonstrations on April 18th at
ICRC offices! Demand that the ICRC take public
action against Israel's treatment of Palestinian political prisoners!
http://www.addameer.org/addameer/campaigns/icrc.html

7500 Palestinians are currently being held as
political prisoners by Israel, including around
344 Palestinian children and 115 Palestinian
women. These prisoners face forms of torture and
mistreatment during their arrest and detention,
and are consistently denied family and lawyer visits.

April 17th is the International Day in Solidarity
with Palestinian Political Prisoners. It is
marked by demonstrations through out the Occupied
Territories with families demanding the release
of prisoners. Many of these demonstrations take
place outside the offices of the International
Committee of the Red Cross, as this body is
responsible for maintaining contact with
prisoner! s, as well as delivering clothes and
other essential items. This year in solidarity
with Palestinian political prisoners and their
families we call on all Palestine solidarity
groups and prisoners solidarity groups to hold
demonstrations and deliver a letter of protest to
ICRC missions on April 18th (April 17th falls on a Sunday).

We are calling on the ICRC to take more
meaningful steps in the monitoring of prisoner
conditions. Despite the grave violations of
prisoner rights that take place in Israeli
prisons, the ICRC mission in the West Bank and
Gaza Strip is not carrying out frequent visits to
central Israeli prisons and has failed to deliver urgently needed supplies.

We call for demonstrations at ICRC offices to
demand that the ICRC take public action and let
the world know what is happening to Palestinian
political prisoners inside Israeli jails and detention centers.

We call on all Palestine solidarity groups and
prisoners support groups to endorse this day of
action and sign onto a letter being delivering to
the ICRC. To endorse or receive more information
please contact http://sumoud.tao.ca

WHAT YOU CAN DO

1. As prisoner support organizations in Palestine
are demonstrating outside local ICRC offices we
must come together in the Palestine solidarity
movement to support them and the prisoners. Join
other groups all over the world on April 18 to
organize a demonstration at an ICRC office in
your area. Sumoud Political Prisoner Solidarity
Group can provide you with resources (letter to
ICRC, fact-sheets, event poster, press release,
powerpoint presentation and video for
educationals around the topic). Information available at http://sumoud.tao.ca

2. Sign an online petition being delivered to the
ICRC on April 18 at http://www.petitiononline.com/sumoud/petition.html

3. Organize a Call-in / Fax Day to the ICRC on
April 18. Below is a list of central ICRC
delegation contacts and a sample letter that can
be faxed / emailed and used for talking points when making phone calls.

CONTACT

UNITED STATES, Washington DC (covers U.S.A. and Canada)
Tel.: (+1) 202 293 94 30
Fax: (+1) 202 293 94 31
E-mail washington.was at icrc.org

GENEVA
Tel.: 41 22 730 2282
Fax: ++ 41 (22) 733 20 57
Email: anotari.gva at icrc.org

PALESTINE / ISRAEL
JERUSALEM
Tel.: (+972 2) 582 88 45 / 582 84 41
Fax: (+972 2) 581 13 75
jerusalem.jer at icrc.org

GAZA
Tel.: (+972) 57 756 860
Mobile: (+972) 59 60 30 15

SAMPLE LETTER

Dear Sir/Madam:
I address this letter to you on the occasion of
Palestinian Prisoner Day, April 17, 2005. As the
guardians of international humanitarian law, the
ICRC is responsible "
to take cognizance of any
complaints based on alleged breaches of that law"
(Article 5.2c of the Statutes of International
Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement). In the case
of Palestinian prisoners however, this
responsibility has quite clearly not been
fulfilled. It appears to us that the ICRC has
preferred to quietly accept Israel's considerable
and increasing violations of the rights of
Palestinian prisoners without taking any meaningful action.

It appears that the ICRC has quietly accepted
Israeli restrictions on which prisoners they can
visit. Furthermore, the ICRC visits take place in
official 'visiting areas' and do not include any
kind of monitoring of the prison and detention
conditions inside the prison/detention centre as
a whole (through, for example, walk-throughs of
the general prison areas). I believe this would
be a simple and effective way of placing pressure
on the Israeli prison administrations to improve
the conditions in these prisons.

In particular, I am concerned about cases such as
Palestinian female prisoner Manal Naji Mahmoud
Ghanim, 29 years old from Tulkarem, and her child
Nour, 1 and a half years old, who have been
imprisoned since 17 April 2003. Both Manal and
Nour are being held in Telmond Prison. Manal, who
suffers from Thalasemia, was arrested while she
was pregnant. Taken away from her family in
handcuffs, Manal delivered Nour in an Israeli
hospital. The prison administration does not
provide Manal and Nour with the special medical
care they require, nor does it provide Nour with
the milk he needs as his mother cannot breast-feed him.

While I understand that Israel places very real
obstacles in front of the work of the ICRC, this
situation must be urgently addressed. I therefore
call on you to immediately take steps to fulfill the following measures:

*To take effective and public action to end the
practice of Israel's incarceration of Palestinian
prisoners from the West Bank and Gaza Strip in
areas outside of the occupied territories.

*To take effective and public action against
Israel's widespread use of torture against Palestinian detainees.

*To immediately demand that sick and injured
prisoners are provided with adequate and appropriate medical treatment.

*To urgently increase the frequency of visits by the ICRC to Israeli prisons.

*To insist that visits by ICRC staff to Israeli
prisons also include the provision of urgently
needed items such as clothes, underwear, shoes,
sanitary products and educational materials.

*To pressure Israel to allow unobstructed family
visits by Palestinians from the West Bank and
Gaza Strip to their relatives in Israeli jails.
Most importantly, these visits should take place
unobstructed by glass or other barriers.

*To increase the visibility of the work of the
ICRC to the Palestinian public, in particular the
actions you carry out around the above measures.
This should be done in much closer coordination
with Palestinian human rights organizations.

While I understand fully the ICRC concerns over
confidentiality in regards to your work, I would
appreciate an official response to these
concerns. I seek some indication that the ICRC is
aware of these concerns and is taking steps to
address them. If these complaints over the ICRC
mission are inaccurate and unrepresentative of
your activities then I would greatly appreciate further clarification.

Sincerely,

***************************************
PFLP: Support hunger striking prisoners in occupation jails

http://www.pflp.ps/english/?q=pflp-support-hunger-striking-prisoners-occupation-

The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine
expressed its support for Palestinian prisoners
on hunger strike inside the occupation jails in
the "battle of the empty stomachs" on April 7,
2010. The prisoners' hunger strike demanded an
end to occupation abuses of prisoners' rights and
recognition of the political and legal rights of
Palestinian prisoners as prisoners of war and
freedom fighters imprisoned for their struggle for self-determination.

The PFLP said that this strike is a clear message
from the masses of prisoners in the Zionist jails
to all Palestinian, Arab and international
institutions, including human rights
organizations, the International Committee of the
Red Cross and the United Nations to take action.
The prisoners' action, the PFLP said, sheds light
on the violations of the Geneva Conventions
taking place in Israeli prisons as well as the
ongoing denial of family visits and abuses of
prisoners and their families, and brutal prison
conditions. The Front noted that the occupier
daily tramples prisoners' rights, meeting only
silence from the "international community" and
its alleged protectors of "democracy and human rights."

The Front's statement praised the prisoners'
spirit of unity in this struggle, including
prisoners from all political factions and
parties, and called for our civil, popular and
official organizations to mirror the prisoners'
unity at Palestinian, Arab and international
levels to uphold their rights and expose the
truth of the racist, aggressive practices of the
occupation and to struggle for and secure the
national rights of our people - the right to
return, to self-determination, to independence -
and thwart the occupier's plans to suppress the
Palestinian struggle and demoralize our people.

The PFLP affirmed the necessity of dedicating
serious actions through  2010 to the freedom of
the prisoners, through upgrading the role of the
prisoners' movement in the political leadership
of our people and ensuring a national agenda that
focuses on achieving prisoners' freedom,
protecting their rights and those of their
families, and emphasizing their profound role in
the struggle for national liberation.