[Ppnews] Muslim Alliance in North America on FBI Raid

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Oct 29 14:42:49 EDT 2009

The FBI Raid and Shooting Death of Imam Luqman
by the Muslim Alliance in North America

http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/mana291009.html

9-29-09

It is with deep sadness and concern that we announce the shooting
death of Imam Luqman A. Abdullah, of Masjid Al-Haqq (Detroit,
MI).  Imam Luqman was a representative of the Detroit Muslim
community to the "National Ummah" and the general assembly (Shura) of
the <http://www.mana-net.org/>Muslim Alliance in North America (MANA).

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) announced that their agents
shot and killed the Imam during a raid related to a criminal
complaint alleging that members of the mosque were engaged in
criminal, but "not terrorist activity."  This tragic shooting raises
deep concerns regarding the use of lethal force by law enforcement agents.

Since the investigation was "solely criminal" based upon "smuggling
and fraud," we urge law enforcement and the media not to take
advantage of this tragedy in order to demonize American Muslims
generally, and those who are African American Muslims in particular.
<http://www.beliefnet.com/News/2000/03/The-Jamil-Al-Amin-Who-Muslims-Know.aspx>
The National Community or "Ummah" was established by Imam Jamil
Al-Amin (formerly known as H. Rap Brown).  It is an association of
mosques in several cities in the U.S. that coordinates religious and
social services primarily in the Black American community.  Reference
to the "Ummah" as a "nation-wide radical fundamentalist Sunni group
consisting primarily of African-Americans" is an offensive
mis-characterization.

To those who have worked with Imam Luqman A. Abdullah, allegations of
illegal activity, resisting arrest, and "offensive jihad against the
American government" are shocking and inconsistent.  In his ministry
he consistently advocated for the downtrodden and always spoke about
the importance of connecting with the needs of the poor.

It is our hope and prayer that a thorough investigation will be
carried out with the greatest integrity.  We urge the Muslim
community and all Americans committed to justice to actively monitor
both the investigation and trial of the accused.  Also, we urge law
enforcement authorities to release Imam Luqman's remains
expeditiously so that they may be buried according to Islamic practice.

----------
Muslim Alliance in North America (MANA) is an organization committed
to Muslim issues and concerns that especially impact indigenous
Muslims -- issues and concerns that we feel have been largely
neglected.  MANA is committed to the establishment of viable,
healthy, and dynamic Muslim communities, neighborhoods, and
institutions that meet the religious, social, economic, and political
needs of the Muslims in this land.  For more information about MANA's
programs including SHARE centers, Healthy Marriage Initiative,
Community Re-entry Program, as well as the National Campaign for
Healing and Reconciliation, visit our website at
<http://www.mana-net.org>www.mana-net.org.