[Ppnews] Activist to Iowa Grand Jury: “We will not be intimidated. We will not cooperate.”

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Oct 19 11:15:53 EDT 2009

<http://www.greenisthenewred.com/blog>Update from Green Is The New Red

Activist to Iowa Grand Jury: “We will not be
intimidated. We will not cooperate.”

Carrie Feldman, a 20-year-old woman from
Minneapolis, has been subpoenaed to a federal
grand jury in Iowa in what appears to be yet
another attempt to harass and intimidate
political activists. She faces up to a year in
jail if held in contempt for refusing to cooperate with the grand jury.

As you can see in
<http://www.greenisthenewred.com/blog/wp-content/Images/feldman-iowa-subpoena.pdf>Feldman’s
grand jury subpoena, the government provides few
details about what is actually being
investigated. That’s no accident: grand juries,
by design, are secretive and conducted outside of
public scrutiny in a legal void where basic Fifth
and First Amendment rights do not apply. [Here is
a<http://www.greenisthenewred.com/blog/wp-content/Images/grandjury101.pdf>
handy booklet on grand juries with much more
information.] If activists refuse to participate
in the political witch-hunt, they can face
serious jail time.
<http://www.greenisthenewred.com/blog/jordan-halliday-contempt-indictment-grand-jury/2287/>Jordan
Halliday has done exactly that with a Utah Grand
Jury, and he is facing federal criminal contempt charges.

There’s a very good chance the grand jury is
investigating a
<http://www.directaction.info/news_nov18_04.htm>2004
Animal Liberation Front raid at the University of
Iowa (video of the raid is embedded here), for a
few reasons. It was a very high profile crime at
the time, and both the university and the FBI
have indicated it is a top priority. Also, at the
preliminary hearing by the grand jury, a witness
asked a question that Feldman says related to that investigation.

After that raid, the University of Iowa announced
that its new, $11.2 million
<http://www.the-scientist.com/blog/display/55764/>animal
experimentation facility would be underground. As
an anonymous activist wrote on the
<http://tc.indymedia.org/2009/oct/local-activist-subpoenaed-federal-grand-jury-iowa-1#comments>TwinCities
Indymedia page:

“Like the torture of animals, grand juries, too,
are only at their most effective when done as intended, in secret.”

If the new underground lab at the University of
Iowa is intended to deter both legal and illegal
animal rights activity, that’s not going to
happen. When I sent around a news article about
that on Twitter a while back, an aboveground
activist responded in a way that I think reflects
the mentality of many people in the animal rights
and environmental movements: “They’re building
their labs underground now? I guess we’ll just have to get shovels.”

And if this new grand jury is intended to harass
and intimidate political activists
 well, I think
they picked the wrong activist and the wrong
community to target. Carrie Feldman is active
with EWOK (Earth Warriors are OK), which has been
active on local
<http://www.greenisthenewred.com/blog/green-scare>Green
Scare issues. She also works with the Coldsnap
Legal Collective and the RNC 8 support committee,
experience that is clearly reflected in her
<http://twincities.indymedia.org/2009/oct/update-local-grand-jury-resister-carrie-feldman>statement
to the grand jury:

First of all, I would like to state,
unequivocally and most certainly for the record,
that I have no intention of testifying before
this grand jury. Based on information from the
prosecutor indicating that I may be a target of
this investigation, I am invoking my Fifth
Amendment right against self-incrimination. But
beyond that, I am refusing to cooperate based on
a sincere belief that to do so would run counter
to my deeply held convictions and values.

Grand juries were originally created to prevent
arbitrary indictments, but are now used as a tool
of the prosecution to gather information. Grand
juries undercut basic rights supposedly granted
in the Constitution by denying access to counsel
and coercing testimony. They are now, and have
been for some time, used to investigate and
intimidate those who would express dissent.

This is only effective when we are complicit,
when we are frightened, when we are divided.
Today my voice may waver, as I stand alone in
this room. But I know I speak with the voice of
every one of my friends, loved ones, and comrades
when I say this: We will not be intimidated. We
will not cooperate. I have nothing more to say to you.

    * Carrie Feldman’s support website:
    * <http://supportcarrie.wordpress.com/>http://supportcarrie.wordpress.com/

Related posts:
    *
<http://www.greenisthenewred.com/blog/jordan-halliday-contempt-indictment-grand-jury/2287/>Jordan
Halliday Faces Trial on Contempt Charges for Resisting Grand Jury
    *
<http://www.greenisthenewred.com/blog/grand-jury-101-from-the-rockford-files/1504/>Grand
Jury 101 From the Rockford Files
    *
<http://www.greenisthenewred.com/blog/jordan-halliday-jailed-grand-jury/1496/>FBI
Admits Utah Grand Jury May Lead to ALF “Sympathy Attacks”