[Ppnews] Cuban Five - Which Side Are You On?

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Oct 15 11:55:27 EDT 2009

http://www.counterpunch.org/alarcon10152009.html

October 15, 2009

The Untold Story of the Cuban Five

Which Side Are You On?

By RICARDO ALARCÓN de QUESADA

FBI officials received a huge amount of concrete,
detailed information about anti-Cuban terrorist
groups, including their exact locations, with
addresses and phone numbers, photographs and tape
recordings describing sinister plans in their own
voices and many other data.  At no time did they
protest or express concern regarding Cuba’s
ability or methods used to obtain such precise evidence.

They just thanked us and asked for some time,
arguing that they got more evidence, far much
more, than what they could have expected.

When Gabriel García Márquez met President
Clinton’s closest advisors at the White House on
May 6, 1998, nobody asked how Cuba had unveiled
those terrible plots. One of the American
gentlemen just said, “We have common enemies.”

It was exactly the same on every other occasion
when we met in Havana, Washington or elsewhere to
discuss with American officials the information
we had on terrorist attempts. They never
complained in any manner, directly or indirectly--not even in a whisper.

US officials never objected to our investigative
efforts for some very obvious reasons. The
history of violence and terror against Cuba is
quite long – has lasted so far half a century –
and is very well documented in an extensive
bibliography partially registered in the US
Congressional Record and also available in
declassified, or not yet so, official papers with
which our American counterparts, we should assume, are well familiar.

With such a background Cuba has the right (even
the inexcusable obligation) to protect itself and
its people and to discover what may be in the
making among those who try to cause material
damage and human suffering. This is the
universally recognized principle of self defense.

The Americans were very well aware of that. As
they surely remembered, when we learned about an
assassination attempt against President Reagan we
promptly shared the information with them, the
Great Communicator’s antipathy towards Cuba
notwithstanding. Washington did not complain
then,  but expressed thankfulness.

They also knew that Cuba is just a small island
in the Caribbean, with a population a little
above 11 million people. Cuba does not have
satellites getting data from outer space, neither
has it any of the extremely sophisticated devices
that are in common use by the American and other
Big Powers intelligence services.

Cuba only has human intelligence. Something that
is admitted now as indispensable in the United
States, something that would have saved many
American lives if it had been aptly used by the
US before the terrible events that shook America in 2001.

And ours is not paid human intelligence. We have
never spent money, as others do by many billions,
to buy information or contract with expensive
agents around the world. We depend on the
generous heroic sacrifice of youngsters like
Gerardo, Ramón, Antonio, Fernando and René.

Long before the heinous attacks of 9/11, Gerardo
Hernandez Nordelo said these simple truths to an
American Court that regrettably was unwilling to listen:

“Cuba has the right to defend itself from the
terrorist acts that are prepared in Florida with
total impunity, despite the fact that they have
been consistently denounced by the Cuban
authorities. This is the same right that the
United States has to try to neutralize the plans
of terrorist Osama Bin Laden’s organization,
which has caused so much damage to this country
and threatens to continue doing so. I am certain
that the sons and daughters of this country who
are carrying out this mission are considered
patriots, and their objective is not that of
threatening the national security of any of the
countries where these people are being sheltered.”

When Gerardo wrote those words many of the
individuals, who would later use civilian
aircrafts as lethal weapons against Americans,
were finalizing their training right there in
Miami. But the local FBI did nothing to frustrate
their horrendous project. They didn’t have time
for that. Their time was devoted exclusively to
protecting their own terrorists by persecuting
and punishing Gerardo and his comrades.

The FBI, at least in Miami, was not fighting
terrorism. Neither was it preventing criminal
attacks against Americans or Cuba. It was on the other side of the fence.

Ricardo Alarcón de Quesada is president of the Cuban National Assembly.