[Ppnews] Congressional Depravity on Gitmo

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sat Oct 10 00:48:19 EDT 2009

http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington10092009.html
October 9-11, 2009

Lawyer Blasts Congress

Congressional Depravity on Gitmo

By ANDY WORTHINGTON

In a recent article,
“<http://www.counterpunch.org/http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2009/10/06/on-guantanamo-lawmakers-reveal-they-are-still-dick-cheneys-pawns/>On
Guantánamo, Lawmakers Reveal They Are Still Dick
Cheney’s Pawns,” I spelled out my despair and
disgust at lawmakers from both parties (their
names can be found
<http://www.counterpunch.org/http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=111&session=1&vote=00196>here,
<http://www.counterpunch.org/http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2009/roll408.xml>here
and
<http://www.counterpunch.org/http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2009-746>here),
who, since May, have voted for legislation
severely curtailing President Obama’s ability to
close the prison at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba by his
<http://www.counterpunch.org/http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington01232009.html>self-imposed
deadline of January 22, 2010, and who, as a
result, have sent just one resounding message to
the American people and the wider world: the
ghost of
<http://www.counterpunch.org/http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2008/12/26/the-ten-lies-of-dick-cheney-part-two/>Dick
Cheney still stalks the corridors of power.

In the article, I ran through these disturbing
developments, explaining how, in May, the Senate
voted overwhelmingly in favor of an amendment to
the Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2009,
which eliminated $80 million from planned
legislation intended to fund the closure of
Guantánamo, and specifically prohibited the use
of any funding to “transfer, relocate, or
incarcerate Guantánamo Bay detainees to or within
the United States,” and how, in June, the House
of Representatives followed up by passing a
spending bill turning down the administration’s
request for $60 million to close Guantánamo,
which also prohibited funds from being used to
release detainees from Guantánamo into the United
States. The spur for my article came just last
week, when Representatives voted overwhelmingly
for a nonbinding motion proposed by Rep. Hal
Rogers (R-Ken.), “clearly prohibiting” the
transfer of any Guantánamo prisoner to the United
States “for whatever reason”; in other words,
even for federal court trials, or
<http://www.counterpunch.org/http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2009/08/08/david-frakt-military-commissions-a-catastrophic-failure/>some
revision of the horribly flawed Military
Commission trial system favored by the Bush administration.

I’m pleased to say that I was not alone in my
despair. On Tuesday, Attorney General Eric Holder
stated, “The restrictions that we've had to deal
with on the Hill give me great concern,” adding,
as the
<http://www.counterpunch.org/http://www.miamiherald.com/news/americas/guantanamo/story/1269871.html>Associated
Press described it, that he “disputed the claim,
made often by Republican lawmakers, that
Guantánamo Bay detainees are simply too dangerous
to be brought to US soil.” “I don't see how that
in fact is accurate,” Holder said, adding, “You
can go through a litany of very, very dangerous
people who are safely housed in facilities that
pose no dangers to the communities that surround
them.” Citing the examples of Ramzi Yousef, the
mastermind of the 1993 World Trade Center
bombing, and the “Unabomber” Ted Kaczynski, he
stated, “I think we have a good track record.”

In combating the fearmongering in Congress that,
on last week’s showing, threatens to completely
derail the administration’s ability to close
Guantánamo at all, Holder was echoing important
points made by President Obama in
<http://www.counterpunch.org/http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2009/05/21/transcript-of-president-obamas-speech-about-guantanamo-and-terrorism-may-21-2009/>a
major national security speech in May, when he stated:

[W]e will be ill-served by some of the
fear-mongering that emerges whenever we discuss
this issue. Listening to the recent debate, I’ve
heard words that are calculated to scare people
rather than educate them; words that have more to
do with politics than protecting our country

[B]ear in mind the following fact: nobody has
ever escaped from one of our federal “supermax”
prisons, which hold hundreds of convicted
terrorists. As Senator Lindsey Graham said: “The
idea that we cannot find a place to securely
house 250-plus detainees within the United States is not rational.”

Over the last few days, following intense
negotiations, it appears that the administration
has managed to persuade Democratic senators and
congressmen to accept that prisoners can be
brought to the US to face trial, although, as
<http://www.counterpunch.org/http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSTRE5965MH20091007>Reuters
added, the measure added by the Senate stipulated
that the administration “would be required to
present a risk assessment and give 14 days'
notice before bringing any of the 223 detainees
remaining in the facility to the United States to
face charges in American courtrooms.” Moreover,
although Democrats in the House of
Representatives also added an amendment to their
bill -- less generously demanding that the
president provides a “comprehensive disposition
plan” at least 45 days before any proposed
transfer -- these measures still “face a tough
vote” before the full Senate and the House of
Representatives (as Reuters explained),
especially after the widespread capitulation last
week to Rep. Rogers and his paranoid talk about
“the American people” and their fears of
“terrorists in their hometowns, inciting fellow
prisoners, abusing our legal system, and terrorizing their communities.”

However, although this is progress of a sort, it
should not be forgotten that the nation’s
lawmakers persistently failed to call a halt to
the excesses of the Bush administration, and, in
fact, played a decisive role in propping up a
lawless regime by endorsing two pieces of
dreadful legislation (the Detainee Treatment Act
of 2005 and the Military Commissions Act of
2006), which purported to strip the prisoners of
the habeas corpus rights they were granted by the
Supreme Court in 2004, revived the Commissions
after the Supreme Court ruled them illegal, and
also sought to grant immunity for any wrongdoing
to the entire Bush administration.

For these lame apologies for legislative
scrutiny, lawmakers were severely chastised by
the Supreme Court in June 2008, when the nation’s
senior judges
<http://www.counterpunch.org/http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington06132008.html>restored
the prisoners’ habeas corpus rights and ruled
that the habeas-stripping aspects of the DTA and
MCA had been unconstitutional, but as Lt. Col.
David Frakt, law professor and former military
defense attorney for Guantánamo prisoner
<http://www.counterpunch.org/http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington10172007.html>Mohammed
Jawad explained to me in an email this week,
Congress is still behaving unconstitutionally
with regard to the right of the Executive branch
and the Judiciary to order the release of
prisoners from Guantánamo who have won their habeas corpus petitions.

Drawing on the experience of Mohammed Jawad --
just one of the 30 prisoners (out of 38 in total)
whose
<http://www.counterpunch.org/http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington07312009.html>release
has been ordered by a judge after finding that
the government had failed to establish, “by a
preponderance of the evidence,” that they had any
connection to either al-Qaeda or the Taliban --
Lt. Col. Frakt pointed out, with reference to
<http://www.counterpunch.org/http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2009/10/05/75-guantanamo-prisoners-cleared-for-release-31-could-leave-today/>an
article I had written suggesting that 31 cleared
prisoners in Guantánamo could be released
immediately, that I had neglected to mention that
an impediment to their immediate release had been
established by Congress, which, in summer,
“passed a law that requires the Administration to
give Congress 15 days notice before releasing
anyone from Guantánamo.” Lt. Col. Frakt added,
“This was why, when Mohammed Jawad was ordered
released, it still took 22 days to release him.
The Department of Justice said they needed a week
to prepare the notice and then he couldn’t be
released until 15 days after that.”

Crucially, Lt. Col. Frakt explained:

I consider this Congressional notification
requirement to be blatantly unconstitutional as a
violation of the separation of powers. In Jawad’s
case, it meant that after the Executive Branch
and the Judiciary had concluded there was no
lawful basis for the military to detain Mohammed
Jawad (after the Department of Justice ultimately
conceded the habeas corpus petition), the
military was required to continue to detain him
at Guantánamo at the order of the legislature,
Congress. As I explained in Federal District
Court, this placed Jawad in the status of
“Congressional prisoner,” a status for which
there is no Constitutional authority.

After explaining that Jawad’s defense team “chose
not to challenge this ridiculous provision,
because a challenge would have likely taken
months to work its way through the courts,” Lt. Col. Frakt concluded:

It may be that, if the US is contemplating
releasing a detainee that it has the lawful basis
to detain under the laws of war, that Congress
can legitimately condition the expenditure of US
funds to effectuate the release on the provision
of this notification to Congress, but for those
detainees determined to be unlawfully held, this
law simply arbitrarily extends their unlawful
stay at Guantánamo. This provision, coupled with
the refusal to authorize funds for detainees to
be resettled in the United States -- even those
determined to be innocent of any wrongdoing who
<http://www.counterpunch.org/http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington02192009.html>should
qualify for political asylum -- shows the extent
of Congressional depravity on any issues related to detainees.

These are tough words, but no less than lawmakers
deserve, and as the battle over Guantánamo’s
future continues throughout the fall, I hope that
officials in the Obama administration will be
able to make good use of them. As Lt. Col. Frakt
so ably points out, it is completely unacceptable
that, on Guantánamo, both the Executive and the
Judiciary are now at the mercy of Congress, where
lawmakers are not only continuing to endorse Dick
Cheney’s evidence-free rationale for arbitrary
detention, but have also seized arbitrary detention powers for themselves.

Andy Worthington is a British journalist and
historian, and the author of
'<http://www.counterpunch.org/http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0745326641/counterpunchmaga>The
Guantánamo Files: The Stories of the 774
Detainees in America's Illegal Prison' (published
by Pluto Press). Visit his website at:
<http://www.counterpunch.org/http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/>www.andyworthington.co.uk
He can be reached at:
<http://www.counterpunch.org/mailto:andy@andyworthington.co.uk>andy at andyworthington.co.uk