[Ppnews] Jeff Luers back in custody after mistaken release

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Oct 2 23:27:12 EDT 2009

Jeff Luers back in custody after mistaken release

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gvDQ-1fL5TvSfDxiKNH76IF90iIgD9B39LG80

(AP) – 2 hours ago

PORTLAND, Ore. ­ Self-proclaimed anarchist Jeff
Luers was released Friday after years in prison
for setting trucks ablaze in an environmental
protest ­ but he was back in custody within hours.

Department of Corrections spokeswoman Jennifer
Black said a mistake was made in calculating the
amount to time off Luers could get for good behavior.

Luers was convicted in June 2001 and sentenced to
23 years in prison after he admitted setting a
fire at a Eugene car dealership that destroyed a
pickup truck and damaged two other trucks. He did
not admit to putting an incendiary device on an
oil delivery truck in Eugene, but was convicted in that case, too.

The case drew widespread attention and groups
around the country raised money to help him,
while the city of Eugene's Human Rights
Commission wrote a letter urging his sentence be reduced.

Eventually, his sentence was cut to 10 years,
making him eligible to release this year with time off for good behavior.

That release came Friday morning from a Portland
prison, but he was picked up again when he
checked in with his parole officer in Eugene, Black said.

Black said the error occurred in determining
Luer's time off. He had qualified for a 20
percent reduction in his sentence for good
behavior, and authorities took another 10 percent
off under terms of recent legislation designed to
reduce the state prison population. But Black
said they learned after releasing him that one of
Luers' convictions did not qualify under the law

His new release date is Dec. 16.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Jeffrey Free Luers, final Dispatch from Prison
September 2009

The last nine years have been a long journey for
me. During that time I have written extensively
of my hopes and aspirations, my heartache and my
loss. These dispatches have allowed me to remain
an active part of this movement and a voice for
earth liberation. They have provided me an outlet
for the often painful emotions that come from being in prison.

When I began this journey many years ago in the
back seat of a police car, I had no hope or any
expectation but that I would walk this path
alone. The overwhelming love and support I have
received since my first night in jail has been
constant and absolute. I have never had to walk
this path without the support of my friends,
family and thousands of unknown allies walking behind me.

I am eternally thankful to my dedicated friends
that built my support from a handful of people
into an international campaign. Their work and
loyalty has served as the foundation for which
earth liberation prisoner support is now based.

I owe so much to the people of this struggle. I
owe you my freedom. Without the support I have
received throughout the years and the demand for
my release I do not believe my sentence would have been reduced.

For the rest of my life I will carry with me the
memory of the years spent behind these walls;
undoubtedly, they will shape my future.

However, the strongest memory of all will not be
of the years inside. It will be of the years of
solidarity; the demonstrations and protests, the
letters and visits, and most of all the love.

To all of those who have supported me over the
years, those who have read these dispatches and
shared in my life I give you my never ending
thanks. You have carried me through these years.

It is time now for me to end this chapter of my
life. This will be my final dispatch. For many of
us this is our goodbye, for a handful this is just the beginning.

All of you have my sincerest heartfelt
appreciation and gratitude. You have shown me
without a doubt that I was never forgotten and never abandoned.

This struggle, our cause, brings us together.
Each of us is connected, every moment of
resistance intertwined. Together we carry with us
some ancient understanding of freedom and
intrinsic knowledge that we must honor the land and water as sacred.

I will always carry this struggle in my heart. I
will always remember the victories and bitter
losses, the joy and heartache, the camaraderie
and betrayals. This is our history, who we are, who I am.

I can give no greater tribute to this movement
than a promise I will remember everything we
gave, every sacrifice, every love filled battle
cry and every heart broken tear. I will always remember. I will never forget.

-Jeffrey Free Luers
<http://www.freejeffluers.org>http://www.freejeffluers.org