[Ppnews] A message from Kiilu Nyasha - please help if you can

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue May 19 17:05:59 EDT 2009

Dear friends. if you haven't already heard from Kiilu, please read
her message below.

i think if we all step up and send a check (if you can and in any
amount) made out to Nedzada Handukic and mail it to:
c/o Kiilu Nyasha
848-I Pacific
San Francisco, CA  94133

we could really take the pressure off and make a difference!
thanks
claude

greetings all:

I can't keep this thing on my lap (thighs) for long, so I'm gonna
rant a bit to let you know how i/we, disabled w/added injury, are
treated by our government.

First, the medical system has deteriorated grossly since my last
6-week experience at the same facility (1998).  I couldn't believe my
ears when a PT (physical therapist) stood at the foot of my bed a day
after surgery and said, "I'm here to get you on your feet."

"You're kidding."

Well, apparently they were not exactly since I had to push for
release from that medical prison so as not to be additionally injured!!

My saviour through all this -- as you know -- has been Nedzada
Handukic who came to my aid every morning except one for weeks.  She
made sure I got taken care of first thing, doing nearly all of the
personal care between 7 something and 11 a.m. and through every
weekend.  She also came to my rescue more than a few times -- on call
-- because benign neglect can be deadly for me.

And they have the nerve to call Davies the best rehab facility in the
City.  I shudder to think what's second, 3rd, 4th, etc.  Of course,
the whole experience brought back horror memories of previous
hospitalizations and so-called long-term care.  In fact, what I was
led to believe was rehab at Davies was skilled nursing.  I never got
to the Rehab floor.

But I digress.  I have to tell you that Nedzada and I were just
informed by the IHSS (In-Home Support Services) that from the time I
went into the hospital until my release (4/2 - 5/15), she will not be
paid.  Since she had already missed one paycheck (bimonthly), I had
provided her with most of my own funds (fattened a bit by the
stimulus $250). So now I'm down to $80 in the bank.  And I'm
bedridden.  So while the visiting PT who did an evaluation yesterday
concedes that I need 24/7 care, there is no provision for such
care.vis a vis some $$ for my assistant, Nedzada.

I'm so angry.  Not just for myself and my god-daughter, but for all
the disabled, ill, and hospitalized in this city, this state, this
country who have to turn to this rotten health system for recoverey
and/or rehabilitation.

I've known for decades, nearly 30, just what I need to get
stronger.  I simply cannot afford it.  Some of you have already heard
me say that in 1975 I walked into the medical system and in 1980
rolled out.  But I'm one of the fortunate ones.  Most don't make it
back out but rather to a premature grave.

When are we gonna demand free health care for all -- period.  No,
we'd rather spend 47 cents of every tax dollar on wars/killings.

In a sick society, people get sick.

peace & love,

Kiilu

P.S.  How could I forget to thank you all again and again for lifting
my spirit and inspiring me to struggle to get well -- with your
calls, cards, gifts, and visits, and yes, emails.  Thanks much.  Now
that I'm home, I feel I'm on the road to recovery...