[Ppnews] A Prison Built on Lies

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue May 19 12:13:55 EDT 2009

http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington05192009.html

May 19, 2009

The Quality of Gitmo "Evidence"

A Prison Built on Lies

By ANDY WORTHINGTON

As the Obama administration prepares to relaunch
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2007/06/26/dick-cheney-more-horrors-from-the-vice-president-for-torture/>Dick
Cheney and David Addington’s reviled
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/may/15/guantanamo-bay-military-trial-obama>Military
Commissions (with claims that they will be used
for less than 20 of the 241 prisoners still
held), senior officials have been largely silent
about the eventual fate of the rest of the
prisoners, with the exception of a few
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2009/05/04/obama-returns-to-bush-era-on-guantanamo/>recent
remarks indicating that they are also thinking of
pressing for a form of “preventive detention” for 50 to 100 of the prisoners.

The irony -- that all the prisoners have been
enduring a form of “preventive detention” for
over seven years -- is apparently lost on the
government, which has also maintained a resolute
silence in response to a handful of habeas corpus
cases (in which the prisoners are seeking to have
their cases dismissed by the courts, as mandated
by the
<http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington06132008.html>Supreme
Court last June) that have resulted in judges
pouring scorn on the government’s supposed evidence.

In an article last week,
“<http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington05142009.html>Judge
Condemns Guantánamo Intelligence,” I analyzed a
devastating ruling by District Court Judge Gladys
Kessler in the habeas corpus hearing of Alla Ali
Bin Ali Ahmed. A Yemeni, Ali Ahmed has always
maintained that he was a student, staying in a
guest house in Faisalabad, Pakistan, and that,
when he was seized in a raid on the house, on
March 28, 2002, he had no knowledge that the
house was, apparently,
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2008/12/09/lost-in-guantanamo-the-faisalabad-16/>tangentially
connected to the alleged senior al-Qaeda
operative
<http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington04242009.html>Abu
Zubaydah. Furthermore, in response to the
government’s other allegations, he has also
“denie[d] ever going to Afghanistan, training at
an al-Qaeda camp, fighting against anyone, or
being a member of a terrorist group.”

Authorizing Ali Ahmed’s habeas claim, Judge
Kessler demolished the government’s case against
him, painting a disturbing picture of unreliable
allegations made by other prisoners who were
tortured, coerced, bribed or suffering from
mental health issues, and a “mosaic” of
intelligence, purporting to rise to the level of
evidence, which actually relied, to an
intolerable degree, on second- or third-hand
hearsay, guilt by association and unsupportable suppositions.

This follow-up article looks in depth at Ali
Ahmed’s story, and those of the 15 men seized
with him in the “Issa” guest house in Faisalabad,
with the aim of encouraging the Justice
Department to abandon its cases against these
other men, either as part of its
<http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington01232009.html>secretive
Executive review of the prisoners in Guantánamo
(with its uncomfortable echoes of the Bush
administration’s love of Executive decisions made
without consulting Congress or the judiciary) or
by refusing to contest their habeas cases in the District Courts.

I propose this course of action because the cases
against these other men demonstrate a similar
reliance on dubious allegations, and a similar
“mosaic” of inferences that will not stand up to
outside scrutiny, as was noted by Judge Kessler
in her ruling, when she wrote, “It is likely,
based on evidence in the record, that at least a
majority of the [redacted] guests were indeed
students, living at a guest house that was located close to a university.”

Alla Ali Bin Ali Ahmed’s testimony at Guantánamo

Ali Ahmed, who was just 17 years old at the time
of his capture (although the Pentagon claims that
he was 18), repeatedly explained at Guantánamo
that he was seized and held by mistake. His
statements were made in his Combatant Status
Review Tribunal, convened to assess whether, on
capture, he had been correctly designated as an
“enemy combatant” who could be held without
charge or trial, and in the subsequent annual
Administrative Review Boards, convened to assess
whether he still posed a threat to the U.S. or its allies.

As I have explained at length in my book
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0745326641/counterpunchmaga>The
Guantánamo Files, and in
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2007/07/26/the-guantanamo-whistleblower-a-libyan-shopkeeper-some-chinese-muslims-and-a-desperate-government/>numerous
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2009/02/17/guantanamo-lies-damned-lies-and-statistics/>articles
over the last two years, these hearings were
monstrously unjust, as they relied on classified
evidence that was not disclosed to the prisoners,
and also prevented them from having legal
representation. In addition, as
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2008/12/22/an-interview-with-guantanamo-whistleblower-stephen-abraham-part-one/>Lt.
Col. Stephen Abraham, a veteran of U.S.
intelligence, has explained, based on his
involvement in the tribunals in 2004 and 2005,
the body responsible for compiling the
information to be used as evidence had little or
no access to the databases of the relevant
intelligence agencies, and, as a result,
<http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington07022007.html>relied
largely on “generic” information that did not
specifically relate to the prisoners, and,
<http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington11202007.html>in
most cases, on “information obtained during
interrogations of other detainees,” which, as
Judge Kessler’s recent ruling confirms, were
often made by prisoners who were tortured,
coerced, bribed or suffering from mental health issues.

Nevertheless, the transcripts of these hearings
are often the only means by which we know
anything about the prisoners at Guantánamo, and
in his most recent publicly available review
(made available by the Pentagon four months ago,
and dating from 2007), Ali Ahmed made it clear
that, after five years in Guantánamo, he was
still struggling to understand why he was being
held, as the following exchange makes clear:

Presiding Officer: Can you tell us why you were arrested?

Detainee: I learned about why after I was
arrested. They told me that this house is for the
al-Qaeda and the Taliban
 They told us after we
were arrested in the house and in the interrogations.

Presiding Officer: Do you have any idea why they would think that?

Detainee: I do not know.

After refuting the allegations against him, it
was unsurprising that, when Ali Ahmed was given
the opportunity to make a statement, he delivered the following plea:

Detainee: What is the main accusation against me
that kept me here for five years? What is the
main accusation? Is it my travel to Pakistan? Is
that an accusation? True, I went during a very
difficult situation, but is that an accusation
that would keep me here for five years?

The following exchange then took place:

Presiding Officer: The purpose of this board is
for an administrative review. To determine
whether you should be released, transferred, or
continue to be detained. Your status as an enemy
combatant has already been determined.

Detainee: I don’t even know why they made that
decision when I don’t have a problem with
Americans. I’ve never fought Americans, I’ve
never fought anybody. I’ve never ever
participated in any wars, any, anything else. Why
would I be an enemy combatant?

Presiding Officer: We understand and take your
statements on board and will consider those in our decision.

Detainee: I know an enemy combatant is someone
who participates in the war and helps the war, or
someone who is a threat and dangerous to the
United States, but I was 17 years old, I’ve never
done anything. [W]hat makes me dangerous to the United States at that time?

Although the review board had no response to
Ahmed’s questions, the officers involved refused
to approve his release from Guantánamo, and it
has taken another two years, and the Supreme
Court ruling granting habeas corpus rights to the
prisoners last June, for him to be able to test
the government’s allegations against him in a
court of law, and to secure the resounding legal
victory that was delivered by Judge Kessler last week.

Even so, it should be noted that judges do not
actually have the power to order the government
to release prisoners, even if, as in Ali Ahmed’s
case, they have established, “by a preponderance
of the evidence,” that he should never have been
detained in the first place, because of
<http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington02192009.html>a
truly disturbing appeals court ruling in the case
of 17 Uighurs at Guantánamo (Muslims from China’s
Xinjiang province), which took place in February,
after the government dropped its claims that they
were “enemy combatants,” and a District Court
judge
<http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington10092008.html>ordered
their release into the United States. As lawyer
<http://www.acslaw.org/node/12976>Jana Ramsay
explained, two judges -- although ostensibly
dealing with the right of the Uighurs to be
admitted into the U.S. -- stated that “the due
process clause does not apply to detainees at
Guantánamo,” because it is “not sovereign
territory of the United States,” and that “the
right to be released” was not “a necessary
corollary to unlawful detention or compensation for such detention.”

The stories of the other prisoners seized with Alla Ali Bin Ali Ahmed

Moving beyond Ali Ahmed’s story, an analysis of
the stories of the 15 other men seized in the
raid on the “Issa” guest house -- mostly Yemenis,
and mostly aged between 18 and 24 -- reveals that
the majority of them have also maintained,
throughout their long imprisonment, that they
never set foot in Afghanistan, never trained or
fought with al-Qaeda or the Taliban, and had no
connection whatsoever with terrorism. This
analysis also reveals that the government’s
allegations against them rely, for the most part,
on similar witnesses and a similar “mosaic” of
intelligence as those dismissed so
comprehensively by Judge Kessler in Ali Ahmed’s case.

Although one of the 15, Ali Abdullah Ahmed
al-Salami, was one of three prisoners who
<http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington08262008.html>died
in Guantánamo in June 2006, apparently by
committing suicide, nine of the surviving 14
prisoners have maintained that they were students
at Salafia University, run by the vast missionary
organization Jamaat-al-Tablighi, two have stated
that they traveled to receive medical treatment,
and another, Fahmi Ahmed, said that he went to
Pakistan to buy fabrics, taking money that he had
borrowed from his mother, but explained that he
actually spent most of his time “like a wild
man,” drinking and smoking hashish. Another young
man, Mohammed Hassen, was not even living at the
house, and was caught up in the raid after
visiting for dinner and staying the night, and
two others -- a Russian and a Yemeni -- arrived
at the house just two weeks before the raid.

In hearings at Guantánamo, several of the men
have pointed out that they were told shortly
after their capture that they had been seized by
mistake. Mohammed Tahir, one of the Yemeni students, explained,

The army translator and the interrogator from the
Pakistani intelligence said, “yes, all of what
this man said ... about his story in Pakistan is
correct, and therefore that is why we are going
to give him back his passport that we took” ... I
was really surprised that the American
intelligence refused all of these proofs and they
said no. “We still need him,” they said, and then they took me.

Another Yemeni student, Emad Hassan, who stated
that he was near the end of a seven-month trip to
the university to study the Koran when he was
seized, said that, while in Pakistani custody,
“the person who was in charge came and told us we
didn't have anything to worry about,” and that “our sheet was clean.”

Fayad Ahmed, also a Yemeni student, told his
tribunal four years ago that he had recently been
told in Guantánamo that he would be released.
“The interrogator and the investigator about a
month ago that met with me told [me] that there
was nothing against me and that I am an innocent
man and should [be] released,” he said.

Of the two prisoners who said that they had
traveled to Pakistan to receive medical
treatment, Abdul Aziz al-Noofayee, a Saudi, said
that he went to receive treatment for a back
problem, and Mohammed Salam, a Yemeni, said that
he went for treatment on his nose. After
explaining that a “generous person” paid for his
trip, the following exchange took place, which
demonstrated a cultural gap between the US military and Muslims from the Gulf:

Tribunal Member: I don't know your culture very
well, but ... in our culture people just don't
step up and say, “I'll pay for the trip for you.”

Detainee: In our culture, in Islam, there is such
a thing ... Indeed, it is an obligation for any
Muslim who is rich to pay for someone who is poor.

Despite the protestations of these prisoners, the
authorities at Guantánamo have persistently
claimed that Jamaat-al-Tablighi was “used to mask
travel and activities of terrorists” -- even
though this allegation has never been regarded as
legitimate outside Guantánamo -- but what should
be troubling the Justice Department right now,
after Judge Kessler’s ruling, is the extent to
which the cases against these other 15 men rely,
as with Ali Ahmed, not on confessions made by the
prisoners themselves, but on statements made by
other prisoners which appear to be just as
dubious as those derided by Judge Kessler.

The weakness of the supposed evidence

To give just a few examples, the transcripts of
the most recently publicly available ARBs (from
2007) include the sweeping statement that
“Students at Salafia University are encouraged to
fight in the Jihad against the West,” and, to
cite just one case, Emad Hassan, who denied ever
being in Afghanistan or attending a training
camp, “was identified as an al-Qaeda recruiter
and travel facilitator who help ‘fund other
individuals’ travel’ to Afghanistan,” as “a
member of al-Qaeda who swore bayat [an oath of
loyalty] to Osama bin Laden,” and as “one of 50
men” at the al-Farouq training camp in
Afghanistan, who were identified as bin Laden’s bodyguards.

In the case of Mohammed Hassen, who was only
visiting the house when he was seized (and who is
one of only two of the “Issa” guest house
prisoners to be cleared for release after a
military review), the allegations in the previous
round of ARBs consisted of precisely three
allegations: that “An individual who was in
Afghanistan identified [him] as a fighter who
traveled between Kandahar and Khost,
Afghanistan,” that “A student who trained at
al-Farouq identified [him] as a Yemeni who
trained at al-Farouq,” and that “A senior
al-Qaeda operative noted that a photo of the
detainee may be a Yemeni and that he may have
seen him at one point ‘inside,’ meaning Afghanistan.”

In the case of Abdul Aziz al-Noofayee (also
cleared for release after an ARB, but, like
Hassen, still held), the only allegations were
that “A senior al-Qaeda operative stated that
[he] attended the Khaldan camp in approximately
1997,” and that he “was captured with a Casio
F-91W watch,” allegedly “used in bombings that
have been linked to al-Qaeda and radical Islamic
groups with improvised explosive devices” (and
this, believe it or not, is an allegation that
has been leveled at dozens of prisoners over the years).

In some of the other cases, no allegations
whatsoever have been made publicly available
beyond the “guilt by association” of staying in
the guest house, and although in a handful of
cases the government claims to have secured
confessions that the men “admitted to fighting
with enemy forces,” doubts about the
circumstances in which these confessions were
produced indicate that, under scrutiny in a
court, even these allegations may be less
clear-cut than they appear. As a result, I hope
to have demonstrated, as I stated at the start of
this article, that the Justice Department would
be well advised to abandon its cases against
these other men before it suffers similar defeats in future habeas hearings.

The bigger picture regarding false allegations

Moreover, the Justice Department also needs to
take a long, hard look at the information it is
relying on as evidence in numerous other cases.
With one exception, the identities of the four
unreliable witnesses in Ali Ahmed’s case were
redacted by the government, but enough evidence
is publicly available, from the statements of
released prisoners, to demonstrate that the
coercive techniques that were widely used at
Guantánamo between 2002 and 2004 (and
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2008/12/23/will-the-bush-administration-be-held-accountable-for-war-crimes/>derived
from the U.S. military’s SERE program) caused
numerous prisoners to make false confessions in
order to bring an end to their suffering.

In addition, further publicly available
information also demonstrates that certain
witnesses at Guantánamo -- whether through
torture-induced fear, in one case, or bribery, in
others -- made false allegations against dozens
of their fellow prisoners, which, crucially, are
still used by the government as part of its supposed evidence.

The first example to surface in public -- who
appears to be one of the men whose testimony was
dismissed by Judge Kessler, and by another judge
in the case of another prisoner,
<http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington01162009.html>Mohammed
El-Gharani -- was described by Corine Hegland in
February 2006, in an article for the
<http://nationaljournal.com/about/njweekly/stories/2006/0203nj1.htm>National
Journal. Hegland described how, in the tribunal
of a Yemeni prisoner, Farouq Ali Ahmed, his
personal representative (an officer assigned in
place of a lawyer) had discovered, by
investigating his case files, that a key
allegation against him had been made by a
prisoner described in an FBI memo as a notorious
liar. In another case, of a Syrian prisoner,
Mohammed al-Tumani, the personal representative
discovered that this same prisoner had made false
allegations against 60 of his fellow inmates,
placing each of them in Afghanistan before they even arrived in the country.

The prisoner who made all these false allegations
is Yasim Basardah, who was cleared for release
after a habeas review six weeks ago. Profiled in
the
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/02/AR2009020203337.html>Washington
Post in February, a disturbing picture emerged of
a man who, “with other informers,” lives in a
group of cells away from the other prisoners. As
the Post described it, “he has received a CD
player, chewing tobacco, coffee, library books
and other perks, according to court documents,”
including a video game console, even though the
man described by some officials at Guantánamo as
their “star witness” has, in the opinion of other
officials, been the subject of “reservations
about [his] credibility” since 2004.

As the Post’s article made clear, Basardah is not
the only liar whose false confessions have
infected the government’s “evidence.” An Iraqi,
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2009/01/26/refuting-cheneys-lies-the-stories-of-six-prisoners-released-from-guantanamo/>repatriated
in January, was also well-known in Guantánamo, as
is
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article5526877.ece>Abdul
Rahim al-Ginco, a Syrian “rescued” by U.S. forces
from a Taliban jail. Tortured by al-Qaeda
operatives, because they thought he was a spy,
al-Ginco suffers from severe mental health
problems (and may also be one of the witnesses
dismissed by Judge Kessler), but although he has
renounced some of his false confessions, others
remain, locked forever in the case files of the
prisoners, with no way of challenging them except in a court.

Most importantly, however, false allegations are
not the exclusive preserve of a handful of
industrious informants. As I mentioned above,
almost any prisoner could be persuaded to make up
false stories when they could no longer bear the
grueling interrogations, or the use of “enhanced
interrogation techniques” to wear them down, and,
as the few examples of the Faisalabad guest house
prisoners cited above also indicate, the case
files are also littered with allegations made by
“senior al-Qaeda operatives” -- individuals like
Abu Zubaydah,
<http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington07142007.html>Khalid
Sheikh Mohammed and the other “high-value
detainees” who were held (and tortured) for years
in secret CIA prisons before their transfer to
Guantánamo in September 2006, and others, like
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2009/05/10/ibn-al-shaykh-al-libi-has-died-in-a-libyan-prison/>Ibn
al-Shaykh al-Libi, who died in a Libyan prison
last week, who were held in a network of secret
prisons and proxy prisons around the world.

In all these prisons -- and in Guantánamo, and in
the prisons in Afghanistan -- prisoners were
shown what Chris Mackey, the pseudonym of a
senior interrogator in Afghanistan, referred to
in his book
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0316871125/counterpunchmaga>The
Interrogators as the “family album,” which
featured photos of other prisoners. And from all
these places, therefore, it is difficult to see
how much of the “evidence” against the prisoners
can be anything other than a tissue of lies,
extracted using the same techniques of torture,
coercion, bribery, and the exploitation of mental
illness that Judge Kessler identified in the case of Alla Ali Bin Ali Ahmed.

Andy Worthington is a British historian, and the
author of
'<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0745326641/counterpunchmaga>The
Guantánamo Files: The Stories of the 774
Detainees in America's Illegal Prison' (published
by Pluto Press). Visit his website at:
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/>www.andyworthington.co.uk
He can be reached at:
<mailto:andy at andyworthington.co.uk>andy at andyworthington.co.uk