[Ppnews] Part 4 - Why the 'Omaha Two' deserve a new trial

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Mar 5 11:13:15 EST 2009

Original Content at
http://www.opednews.com/articles/Framed-by-the-FBI--A-doze-by-Michael-Richardson-090305-556.html

----------
March 5, 2009

Framed by the FBI: A dozen reasons the 'Omaha Two' deserve a new trial (4 of 6)

By Michael Richardson

[]

Ed Poindexter

On August 17, 1970, an Omaha, Nebraska policeman,
Larry Minard, was murdered in an ambush bombing
at a vacant house.  Two men, Edward Poindexter
and Mondo we Langa (formerly David Rice), are
serving life sentences at the Nebraska State
Penitentiary for his killing.  The pair were
leaders of Omaha's chapter of the Black Panther
Party.  Most people assume justice was done in
the case and little effort has been made by the
news media to dig into the hidden aspects of the crime.

Poindexter has a new trial request pending before
the Nebraska Supreme Court and an examination of
the record, much of it still hidden by Federal
Bureau of Investigation censors, reveals a dozen
reasons to question the outcome of the trial.

New Trial Reason Seven:  Conflicting police
testimony about dynamite--Murdock Platner

Captain Murdock Platner of the Omaha Police
Department made two trips to Capitol Hill to
testify under oath about the 'Omaha Two'
case.  Although the hearings were days apart in
October 1970, Murdock gave conflicting testimony
about dynamite that police believed was used in the August 17th bombing.

Murdock not only contradicted Duane Peak's
preliminary hearing testimony about the source of
the dynamite used to construct the bomb that
killed Larry Minard, but Platner also gave
conflicting accounts of the seizure of dynamite
three weeks before the bombing leaving nine
sticks of the explosives unaccounted for.

In two sessions of Congressional testimony a week
apart, unreported by the news media and kept from
the murder trial jury, Platner gave two differing
amounts of dynamite seized by police under the
command of detective Jack Swanson.  The
difference is significant because a week after
Minard's death, Swanson allegedly found dynamite
in the basement of Mondo we Langa's residence.

On October 6, 1970, Platner testified that "about
60" sticks of dynamite were recovered in July
with the arrests of Luther Payne, Lamont Mitchell and Conrad Gray.

"We have learned through confidential informants
that the dynamite was stolen from a place called
Quick Supply Co. in Des Moines and transferred
across the State line into the Omaha area
.There
were probably ten cases of this dynamite that was
stolen from Des Moines and brought into the Omaha
area. We were in contact with a white man who we
knew was buying stolen property for these people,
and we asked him to ask them about dynamite, and
we thought possibly we could buy it.  We
eventually did buy about 60 sticks of dynamite from them."

By October 14th the "about 60" sticks of dynamite
shrunk to 51 leaving "about" nine sticks of
dynamite unaccounted for.  Platner appeared
before a different Congressional committee and
offered a different amount of explosives.

"We received information from a party that had
been approached to buy dynamite.  We had him buy
it and he bought 10 sticks.  It was 2 ½ by
16-inch sticks.  He came back later and said he
could buy more of this dynamite.  So we set him
up to buy and then we were going to move in
before it was delivered.  We did move in and
arrest three young men in a car.  In their
possession they had 41 sticks of this same type of dynamite."

After Minard's death when Swanson searched Mondo
we Langa's house, police officer Marvin McClarty
suspicioned Swanson was planting evidence the way
the search was conducted.  Conflicting accounts
by detectives over who found the dynamite, and
where in the basement it was found, have dogged
the case from the beginning.  No crime scene
photographs, including photos of the basement,
contain dynamite.  The first evidence photos in
which the dynamite appears are of the trunk of a police squad car.

Was the dynamite in the squad car the nine
missing sticks described in Platner's testimony?

New Trial Reason Eight:  Conflicting police
testimony about search warrant--James Perry

Lieutenant James Perry of the Omaha Police
Department supervised searches of Black Panther
headquarters and residences during the search for
Larry Minard's killers.  Perry's lack of
credibility was not known to jurors at the murder
trial but did not escape U.S. District Court
Judge Warren Urbom who ordered a new trial for
Mondo we Langa over the search of his
residence.  A legal maneuver by the United States
Supreme Court shifting appellate responsibility
to state courts prevented the new trial from
happening but Urbom's assessment of Perry's credibility stands.

"Lt. Perry's testimony that Delia Peak told him
that Duane Peak, Edward Poindexter and David Rice
[Mondo we Langa] were constant companions is in
no way corroborated by the remainder of the
record before me.  The police report of her
interview reveals nothing about Duane Peak's
being a constant companion of David Rice's, and
the rights advisory form she signed indicates
that only Sgt. R. Alsager and Richard Curd were
present for her interview.  Moreover, her
interview did not begin until the very hour
police first approached David Rice's house and
was not completed until after the decision had
been made to enter his house.  The police report
of her interview also reveals she had seen Duane
Peak at about 5:00 p.m. the night before.  Thus,
it simply is not so that Duane Peak's family had
not seen him in the two days before they had
entered the petitioner's house and is persuasive
that Delia Peak's family did not make a contrary
statement.  Finally, there is no indication in
the police reports of interviews with Duane
Peak's family prior to the entry of Rice's house
that they were concerned that he might have been
eliminated.  On the basis of the entire record
before this court and having heard and seen Lt.
Perry testify, it is impossible for me to credit
his testimony in the respects mentioned."

Perry also claimed that Donald Peak had
implicated Mondo we Langa, an allegation that
Judge Urbom flatly rejected.  "Had Donald Peak,
Jr. so implicated David Rice, surely a similar
arrest warrant for him would have been issued at
that time.  Given these facts I simply cannot
credit this testimony of Lt. Perry."

Perry talked with a British film crew in the
1980's and discussed the case.  "He [Mondo we
Langa] was very free about what he thought the
answers to these problems were and they generally
included killing police officers.  Ed Poindexter,
not as vocal, was always present, always
around
.Well there wasn't a policeman on the job
who didn't know who done that.  It was just a
matter of being able to prove it.  And that is what we done."

***

Permission granted to reprint

Author's Bio: Michael Richardson is a freelance
writer based in Boston. Richardson writes about
politics, law, nutrition, ethics, and music.
Richardson is also a political consultant.