[Ppnews] Incarceration nation: 1 in 31 U.S. adults now in criminal justice system

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Mar 2 12:13:43 EST 2009

JEFF GERRITT

http://www.freep.com/article/20090302/BLOG2505/90302038

Incarceration nation: 1 in 31 U.S. adults now in criminal justice system

March 2, 2009

The U.S. criminal justice system is tapping out
state budgets while failing to make the public
safe, but most people don’t care until it affects
them directly. If the numbers keep growing, it
won’t be long before practically everyone is. A
study released today by the Pew Center on the
States shows that 7.3 million people ­ 1 in 31
U.S. adults ­ are now locked up or on parole or
probation. In Michigan, it’s one in 27 people. In
one neighborhood on Detroit’s east side, one in
seven adult men is in the system.

Our policies on crime and punishment aren't
working and we can no longer afford them. Over
the past two decades, state general fund spending
on corrections has more than tripled to $68
billion a year. That means a lot less money for
education, health care and other essential
government services. Michigan spends $2 billion a
year on corrections ­ more than it spends on higher education.

Despite this investment, recidivism and crimes
rates have not gone down. My own feeling is that
mass incarceration has increased crime by
disrupting families, neighborhoods and social
networks. In Michigan today, one in six adults
has a felony on his or her record. One in 14
African American children has an incarcerated
parent, making it seven times more likely that they, too, will go to prison.

What people forget is that nearly everyone sent
to prison will get out. Roughly 600,000 people a
year leave prison or jail and return to their
communities, many of them unable to find work.
Mass incarceration has made prison a norm in
certain neighborhoods. My brother-in-law, who’s
34 and grew up on Detroit’s east side, told me
once that every male peer he knew coming up went
to prison or jail. For many young men, going to
prison has become almost an expectation, a rite of passage.

The Pew report also notes that it costs, on
average, 22 times more to supervise offenders in
community programs like probation and parole than
it does to lock them up. Diverting more
lower-risk, non-violent offenders to community
programs makes dollars and sense. It would lower
corrections costs and enable states to spend more
on education and other government services.

We need to find a better way. It’s troubling and
puzzling that many of the same people who attack
government inefficiency give our costly and
ineffective criminal justice system a pass by
pushing for more of the same. Online at
<http://www.pewcenteronthestates.org>www.pewcenteronthestates.org