[Ppnews] Cuban 5 Decision - Cuba's Response

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jun 16 10:01:48 EDT 2009

From: En Defensa de la Humanidad<edhcuba at cubarte.cult.cu>
Subject: Declaration of the Presidency of Cuba s National Assembly

The U.S. Supreme Court announced today, without explanation, its
decision not to review the case of our Five comrades who are unjustly
imprisoned in that country for struggling against anti-Cuban terrorism that is
sponsored by the U.S. rulers. The judges did what the Obama
administration requested of it.

In spite of the solid arguments made by the defense attorneys from the
obvious and multiple legal violations committed during the whole trial, by
ignoring the universal backing to the petition expressed by an
unprecedented number of "friend of the Court" briefs, among them 10
Nobel prize recipients, hundreds of parliamentarians, and numerous U.S.
and international jurist organizations, of outstanding political and academic
personalities the Supreme Court rejected the case, thus ignoring the
demand of Humanity and its obligation to do justice.

We see manifested once more the arbitrariness of a corrupt and
hypocritical system and its brutal treatment of our Five brothers.

Our struggle to win their freedom will not diminish for one instant.
Now is the
time to step up our actions, and not leave even one space uncovered or
door unopened.

We are certain that Gerardo, Antonio, Fernando, Ramon, and Rene will
continue leading this battle, as they have during these almost 11 years.

Responding to the infamous decision, Gerardo Hernandez Nordelo
declared:

Based on the experience that we have had, I am not surprised by the
Supreme Court s decision. I have no confidence at all in the justice system
of the United States. There are no longer any doubts that our case has
been, from the beginning, a political case, because not only did we have
the necessasry legal arguments for the Court to review it, we also have the
growing international support as reflected in the Amicus briefs presented to
the Court in our favor. I repeat what I said one year ago, June 4, 2008, that
as long as one person remains struggling outside, we will continue resisting
until there is justice."

The struggle must be multiplied until the U.S. government is forced to put
an end to this monstruous injustice and restore freedom to Gerardo,
Ramon, Antonio, Fernando y Rene.

Presidency of the National Assembly of People s Power

June 15, 2009