[Ppnews] Leonard Peltier: Silence Screams

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jun 11 10:26:24 EDT 2009

http://www.bornblackmag.com/Leonard-Peltier-Case.html

Leonard Peltier: Silence Screams

By Carolina Saldaña

The Message

Silence, they say, is the voice of complicity.
But silence is impossible.
Silence screams.
Silence is a message,
just as doing nothing is an act.
Let who you are ring out and resonate
in every word and deed.
Yes, become who you are.
There’s no sidestepping your own being
or your own responsibility.
What you do is who you are.
You are your own comeuppance.
You become your own message.
You are the message.
In the spirit of Crazy Horse,
Leonard Peltier

34 years behind bars!

Native American artist, writer, and activist
Leonard Peltier––one of the most widely
recognized political prisoners in the world––has
spent more than 32 years in some of the cruelest
prisons in the United States , unjustly condemned
to a double life sentence for the shooting death
of two FBI agents in 1975. His situation is now aggravated by health problems.

At the age of 63, he keeps right on struggling
for the rights of indigenous people from his cell
in the federal prison at Lewisburg , Pennsylvania
. He’s contributed to the establishment of
libraries, schools, scholarships, and battered
women’s shelters among many other projects. In
February of 2008, he was nominated for the Nobel
Peace Prize for the fifth consecutive year.

“My crime’s being an Indian. What’s yours?”

In his autobiography My Life Is My Sun Dance,
Leonard explains that his bloodline is mainly
Ojibway and Dakota Sioux and that he was adopted
by the Lakota Sioux and raised on their
reservations “in the land known to you as
America....but I don’t consider myself an American.”
“I know what I am. I am an Indian--an Indian who
dared to stand up to defend his people. I am an
innocent man who never murdered anyone nor wanted
to. And, yes, I am a Sun Dancer. That, too, is my
identity. If I am to suffer as a symbol of my
people, then I suffer proudly. I will never yield.”

Leonard tells us that when he was nine years old
a big black government car drove up to his house
to take him and the other kids away to the Bureau
of Indian Affairs (BIA) boarding school in
Wahpeton, Dakota del Norte. When they got there,
they cut off their long hair, stripped them, and doused them with DDT powder.

“I thought I was going to die...that place...was
more like a reformatory than a school...I
consider my years at Wahpenton my first
imprisonment, and it was for the same crime as
all the others: being an Indian.”

He goes on to say that “We had to speak English.
We were beaten if we were caught speaking our own
language. Still, we did....I guess that’s where I
became a “hardened criminal,” as the FBI calls
me. And you could say that the first infraction
in my criminal career was speaking my own
language. There’s an act of violence for
you....The second was practicing our traditional religion.”

When Leonard Peltier was a teen-ager, President
Eisenhower launched a program to eliminate the
reservations and move the people off, giving them
a small payment. Leonard remembers that the words
“termination” and “dislocation” became the most
feared words in the people’s vocabulary. The
process of fighting against dislocation was his
first experience as an activist.

During the 60s, Leonard worked as a farm worker
and, later, in an auto body shop in Seattle . At
that time he got his first taste of community
organizing. At the beginning of the 70s, he
joined up with the American Indian Movement
(AIM), initially inspired by the Black Panthers.

In 1972, he participated in the Trail of Broken
Treaties, a march / caravan from Alcatraz in
California to Washington D.C. , and also in the
occupation of the BIA in the nation’s capital. He
became a target of the FBI program to
“neutralize” AIM leaders and was set up and jailed at the end of the year.

1973: The Occupation of Wounded Knee

One of AIM’s boldest actions was the occupation
of the village of Wounded Knee on the Pine Ridge
Reservation, the same place where the United
States Army carried out its cowardly, infamous
massacre of 300 Lakota people in 1890.

At the beginning of the 70s, AIM was getting
together with the Lakota Indians who were true to
their ancient traditions and wanted to hold on to
their culture and their lands.

The BIA, worried about AIM’s growing influence in
the area, imposed Dick Wilson as tribal chairman
on the reservation, running roughshod over the
will of the traditional elders and chiefs.

The puppet Wilson hated the AIM militants and
allied himself with the FBI to destroy the
movement that the agency saw as a threat to the
American way of life. His paramilitary group
known as the "GOONS" (Guardians of the Oglala
Nation) had committed a long chain of abuses against the people.

On the night of February 27, around 300 Lakota
and 25 AIM members occupied the town of Wounded
Knee, joined by several Chicanos, Black, and
white supporters. They opposed the murders of
Native Americans on the reservation, the extreme
poverty that the people lived in, and the corrupt
tribal government. They demanded that the
government respect the ancient treaties signed
with native peoples to protect their territory and autonomy.

The next day, General Alexander Haig ordered an
invasion. According to Ward Churchill and Jim
Vanderwall in their book Agents of Repression,
"In the first instance since the Civil War that
the U.S. Army had been dispatched in a domestic
operation, the Pentagon invaded Wounded Knee with
17 armored personnel carriers, 130,000 rounds of
M-16 ammunition, 41,000 rounds of M-1 ammunition,
24,000 flares, 12 M-79 grenade launchers, 600
cases of C-S gas, 100 rounds of M-40 explosives,
helicopters, phantom jets, and personnel, all
under the direction of General Alexander Haig."

The operation also relied on 500 heavily armed
policemen, federal marshals, and BIA and FBI
agents. They surrounded Wounded Knee and set up
barricades all along the road.

The occupation lasted 71 days and ended only
after the government promised to investigate the
complaints, something that never happened.

The next three years were known as the “reign of
terror” on Pine Ridge.  More than 300 people
associated with AIM were violently attacked and
many of their homes were burned. During these
years more than 60 Native American people were
killed by paramilitaries armed and trained by the
FBI. There was also an increase of FBI SWAT team agents on the reservation.

It’s now known, as a result of a suit based on
the Freedom of Information Act, that AIM
activities on and off the reservation were under
FBI surveillance and that the FBI was preparing
the paramilitary operations on Pine Ridge a month
before the shootout at Oglala.

Oglala: The fatal shootout

In a situation that was getting worse all the
time, the Council of Elders on the Jumping Bull
ranch near the town of Oglala asked AIM to come
back to the reservation to protect them. Leonard
Peltier, along with many other AIM members and
non-members responded to the call and set up camp on the ranch.

On June 26, 1975, two FBI agents, Jack Coler and
Ron Williams, followed a red pick-up truck onto
the Jumping Bull ranch. They were supposedly
looking for young Jimmy Eagle, who was said to
have stolen a pair of cowboy boots.

A shootout began between the FBI agents and the
people in the pick-up, trapping a family in the
crossfire. Several mothers fled the area with
their children while other people fired in
self-defense. More than150 FBI SWAT team members,
BIA police, and GOONS surrounded approximately 30
AIM men, women, and children and opened fire.
Leonard Peltier helped a group of young people to
escape from the rain of bullets.
When the shootout ended, AIM member Joseph
Killsright Stuntz was found dead, shot in the
head. His death has never been investigated.

Coler and Williams were wounded during the
shootout and then killed at point blank range.
The two agents had in their possession a map with
the Jumping Bull ranch marked on it.

According to FBI documents, more than forty
Native Americans participated in the shootout,
but only four were charged with killing the two
agents: three AIM leaders––Dino Butler, Bob
Robideau, and Leonard Peltier–– and Jimmy Eagle.

Butler and Robideau were the first to be
arrested, and at their trial they stated that
they had fired in self-defense. The jury believed
the act was justified due to the atmosphere of
terror that prevailed at Pine Ridge at the time.
They were both found innocent.

The FBI was furious about the verdict and dropped
the charges against Jimmy Eagle, according to
their memos, “...in order to direct the full weight of
the prosecution on Peltier.

Meanwhile, Leonard Peltier went to Canada ,
believing that he would never have a fair trial.
On February 6, he was arrested and then
extradited to the United States due to the
statement of a woman named Myrtle Poor Bear, who
said she had been his girlfriend and had seen him
fire at the agents. As a matter of fact, she had
never known him and was not present at the time
of the shootout. In a later statement, she said
that she had been coerced into giving false
testimony as a result of being terrorized by FBI agents.

Two life sentences!?

The only evidence against Leonard Peltier was the
fact that he was present at the Jumping Bull
ranch during the fatal shoot-out. These are just
a few examples of the injustice of the trial:

-The case wasn’t brought before the judge who had
presided over the trial of Robideau and Butler ,
but instead before another judge with a
reputation for making decisions favorable to the prosecution.
-Myrtle Poor Bear and other important witnesses
were forbidden to testify about FBI misconduct.
-Testimony about the “reign of terror” on the
Pine Ridge Reservation was severely limited.
-Important evidence, such as conflicting
ballistic reports, was deemed inadmissible.
-The red pick-up that had been followed onto the
ranch was suddenly described as Peltier’s “red and white van.”
-The jury was isolated and surrounded by federal
marshals,  making jurors believe that AIM was a security threat to them.
-Three young Native Americans were forced to give
false testimony against Peltier after having been
arrested and terrorized by FBI agents.
-The prosecutor couldn’t produce a single witness
who could identify Peltier as the shooter.
-The government said that a cartridge found near
the bodies was fired from the presumed murder
weapon, and alleged that this was the only pistol
of its kind used during the shootout and that it belonged to Peltier.

As a result of the Freedom of Information Act
suit, FBI documents turned over to the defense showed that:
1. More than one weapon of the type attributed to
Peltier had been present at the scene. 2. The FBI
intentionally hid the ballistics report showing
that the cartridge could not have come from the presumed murder weapon.
3. There was no doubt whatsoever that the agents
followed a red pick-up onto the territory, and
not the red and white van driven by Peltier.
4. Strong evidence against several other suspects existed and was withheld.

None of this evidence was presented to the jury
that found Leonard Peltier guilty. He was given
two consecutive life sentences.

Two consecutive life sentences?! How do they plan
to implement that? Doesn’t the sentence reflect a
deep fear of the spirit of Crazy Horse?

Bill Clinton: at the service of the FBI

A new trial was sought after several of these
abuses came to light. During one hearing, the
federal prosecutor admitted that  “...we can’t
prove who shot the agents”. The court realized
that Peltier could have been found innocent if
the evidence hadn’t been unduly withheld by the
FBI, but a new trial was denied on the basis of technical errors.

The former Leonard Peltier Defense Committee stated:

“In 1993, Peltier requested Executive Clemency
from President Bill Clinton.  An intensive
campaign was launched and supported by Native and
human rights organizations, members of Congress,
community and church groups, labor organizations,
luminaries, and celebrities. Even Judge Heaney,
who authored the court decision [denying a new
trial], expressed firm support for Peltier’s
release.  The Peltier case had become a national issue.

On November 7, 2000, during a live radio
interview, Clinton stated that he would seriously
consider Peltier’s request for clemency and make
a decision before leaving office on January 20, 2001.

In response, the FBI launched a major
disinformation campaign in both the media and
among key government officials.  Over 500 FBI
agents marched in front of the White House to
oppose clemency.  On January 20, the list of
clemencies granted by Clinton was released to the
media.  Without explanation, Peltier's name had been excluded.”

Current defence efforts
Mr. Peltier has recently applied for and been
granted a parole hearing. The hearing is scheduled for July 27, 2009.
The recent efforts of the defense team have been
focused on obtaining thousands of documents that
are still being retained by the FBI, around
142,579 pages according to Peltier’s legal team
which brought a new suit against the FBI in
Minnesota in March of this year. Of particular
interest are documents dealing with the extent to
which the Federal Bureau of Investigation paid
informants to infiltrate Leonard Peltier's
defense team. Alleging that the information would
reveal confidential sources, harm national
security and impede the transnational “war on
terrorism”, the FBI has refused to release the
documents that would reveal their illegal
activities on Pine Ridge and the continued
violations of Leonard Peltier’s basic human rights.

Petitions are also being circulated urging George
W. Bush to grant clemency for Leonard Peltier and
urging Congress to investigate FBI misconduct on
Pine Ridge and the “reign of terror” that existed between 1973 and 1976.

Furthermore, preparations are now underway for an
important Parole Hearing scheduled for December
of 2008, which should be a focus of an
international campaign in the coming months.
There is absolutely no legitimate reason to
continue to hold Leonard Peltier in prison. If he
is not granted clemency or does not win parole
this year, he will not have another Parole Hearing until 1917.

On the cultural front, sponsors, donations, and
spaces are being sought for a series of stage
productions of My Life is My Sundance.  Co-author
Harvey Arden describes the play starring Lakota
actor and singer Doug Good Feather, as a
“soul-transforming theatrical experience that is
a living expression of his own words, his own
pain, his own dreams --as well as the suffering
and dreams of his People.” To help organize a
performance, see
<http://www.mylifeismysundance.com>http://www.mylifeismysundance.com.

In a recent letter Leonard said: “If my case
stands as it is, no common person has real
freedom. Only the illusion until you have something the oppressors want....
In the spirit of Crazy Horse, who never gave up.”

Let’s don’t let it stand as it is.

What will you do?

Write a letter to Leonard:

Leonard Peltier # 89637-132