[Ppnews] Mumia Abu Jamal Legal Update

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jun 8 15:36:27 EDT 2009

Legal Update

Date:         June 6, 2009
From:        Robert R. Bryan, lead counsel
Subject:    Mumia Abu-Jamal, death row, Pennsylvania

Introduction  In recent months there have been
significant legal developments concerning my
client, Mumia Abu-Jamal, who has been on
Pennsylvania's death row for nearly three
decades.  We are presently litigating on his
behalf in both the United States Supreme Court
and the trial court, the Court of Common Pleas, Philadelphia.

Mumia's life on the line in this monumental
struggle.  He is in the greatest danger since his arrest in 1981.

Like so many on death row, Mumia has been a
victim of poverty, racial bigotry, fraud,
inadequate legal representation, and an unfair
trial.  The trial judge was a racist who referred
to my client as a "nigger" whom he was going to
help the prosecution "fry."  Prior case lawyers
failed to investigate and present pivotal issues
both at trial and in the post-conviction process,
thereby limiting what could be considered by the
Supreme Court and the U.S. Court of
Appeals.  Below is a brief summary of case developments.

U.S. Supreme Court, Washington  There have been
two separate cases pending in the Supreme Court
concerning Mumia.  One involves strictly the
death penalty, while the other concerns the
prosecution's use of racism in jury selection.

Abu-Jamal v. Beard, U.S. Sup. Ct. No.
08-8483  This case related to the Philadelphia
District Attorney's use of racism in selecting
the jury that decided both the question of guilt
and whether my client should die.  The prosecutor
used 66.67% of his available strikes to exclude
African Americans from sitting on the jury.  A
judge in the lower federal court determined there
was clear evidence that the prosecutor's strikes
of black people was race-based and thus
unconstitutional.  The dissenting justice in a
2-1 decision in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the
Third Circuit, found overwhelming evidence of
racism by the prosecutor.  (Abu-Jamal v. Horn,
520 F.3d 272 (3rd Cir. 2008).)  He explained that
the “core guarantee of equal protection, ensuring
citizens that their State will not discriminate
on account of race, would be meaningless were we
to approve the exclusion of jurors on the basis
of . . . race. . . . I respectfully dissent.”

On April 6, 2009, the Supreme Court declined to
hear our case. This came as a profound
disappointment and shock, even though the court
rejects 98-99% of cases presented for
review.  Mumia's case was exceptional, especially
in view of the powerful dissenting decision from
the U.S. Court of Appeals.  Our strong
constitutional position was bolstered by briefing
from the NAACP's Legal Defense Fund, which I had
invited into the case to address the racism
issue. Tragically the court turned its back on it
own case law which held that racism in jury
selection offends the U.S. Constitution and
mandates a new trial. Our extensive briefing had
laid out the overwhelming evidence establishing
the prosecutor's race-based behavior and the
racially-charged atmosphere of the trial.  On May
1, I submitted a Petition for Rehearing which has been rejected.

Beard v. Abu-Jamal, Sup. Ct. No. 08-652  We are
still litigating in the Supreme Court inm an
entirely separate case in which the prosecution
is seeking to overturn the victory achieved last
year in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third
Circuit.  In that ruling the court ordered a new
jury trial on the question of the death
penalty.  Both sides have gone back and forth in
briefing in the Supreme Court.  Due to
developments in another case with a similar
issue, it may be several months before Mumia's
case is decided.  If we win, then there will be a
new jury trial.  In the event of an adverse
decision, the prosecution would push for a quick execution.

Court of Common Pleas, Philadelphia, Commonwealth
v. Abu-Jamal, Nos. 1357-1359  On April 20, 2009,
we filed a Petition for Habeas Corpus Relief in
the trial court, the Pennsylvania Court of Common
Pleas.  At issue is the fact that Mumia was
convicted on the basis of unreliable and
incomplete expert ballistics testimony presented
by the prosecution during the 1982 trial.  We
have also moved for discovery of all related
evidence possessed by the prosecution.

Other Developments in Europe and the United
States  In this country the support and activism
of the National Lawyers Guild has been crucial on
our work on behalf of Mumia.  The cry for justice
in the case of Mumia continues to be particularly
strong in Europe.  As an example, on May 17, 2009
a feature article datelined Paris appeared in the
San Francisco Chronicle.  The piece is reprinted
at the the end of this Legal Update and available
online with photographs at:
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/16/MN4517CARS.DTL>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/05/16/MN4517CARS.DTL.
It describes the activism of committed French
human-rights activists on behalf of Mumia which
has drawn considerable attention in the U.S.

United States  Many people have heard about the
support for Mumia by the National Lawyers Guild,
headquartered in New York with chapters across
the country, but know little of the
details.  Since its founding in 1937 the NLG has
provided legal support to a wide range of legal
and social movements, starting with drafting New
Deal legislation and aiding in the formation of
the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO)
and the United Auto Workers (UAW).  It has
actively supported labor rights and played a
central role in defending individuals targeted by
the House Un-American Activities Committee.  NLG
lawyers, legal workers and law students
participated in the Civil Rights movement and
opened "people's law offices" in the South.  In
the 1990s and into the new millennium the
organization's scope widened to include
protecting individual rights against the
increasing dominance of corporations, legal
defense at mass demonstrations, and training
lawyers about developments in the law such as
newly developing anti-terrorism legislation.  The
NLG aggressively opposes the death penalty, and
many of its attorneys specialize in capital
defense work.  That included the legal effort to
save Julius and Ethel Rosenberg who were executed
June 19,1953 in New York.  Each year the NLG
features a "Student Day Against the Death
Penalty," and actively assists 100 student
chapters in hosting public education events to
raise awareness of the multitude of problems with
the death penalty and to work toward its
abolition.  Law professor members and students
have hosted hundreds of events featuring leading
capital defense attorneys and former death-row
inmates, and the NLG provides an organizing kit
to students to help facilitate events against capital punishment.

Mumia's case has been a national priority of the
NLG for over two decades.  For many years he has
served on the Board of Directors as Jailhouse
Lawyer Vice President.  At the annual conventions
numerous resolutions have been passed seeking a
new and fair trial and over the years the NLG has
co-sponsored events around the country related to
his case.  Three years ago I invited the Guild to
file an amicus curiae (friend of the court) brief
on his behalf.  Thereafter a brief was submitted
on the issue of the death penalty and other
issues by Heidi Boghosian, NLG Executive
Director, a member professor from George
Washington University, Washington, D.C. and
others in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third
Circuit. Further, Ms Boghosian, an outstanding
lawyer, has been active is assisting me in the
representation of Mumia for many years, and has
joined me in a number of client meetings.  Mumia
has enormous respect and trust for her and the NLG.

Germany  In Berlin on March 27, the prestigious
Akademie der Künst (Academy of Arts), located two
doors from the U.S. Embassy at the Brandenburg
Gate, hosted an outstanding panel discussion on
Mumia as a journalist, author, and political
prisoner.  It originated from the efforts of the
writer Sabine Kebir, PEN, and Nicole Bryan.  The
audience filled the auditorium.  Participating in
the human-rights event, was:  Madame Danielle
Mitterrand, former First Lady of France; Klaus
Staeck, President of the Akademie; Johano
Strasser, President of PEN Germany; Günter
Wallraff, a well known author; Gerhart Rudolf
Baum, former Minister of the Interior, the
Bundestag (parliament), and United Nations
representative; and me.  A video of the entire
event is available on the Internet, at:
<http://www.adk.de/de/aktuell/forum_dokumentationen/forum_27.Akadgespr.html>http://www.adk.de/de/aktuell/forum_dokumentationen/forum_27.Akadgespr.html.
The commitment of supporters in Germany is a
model of activism, especially those in Berlin, Hamburg and Bremen.

France  The movement for Mumia in France is
excellent.  It is led by the Collectif "Ensemble
Sauvons Mumia Abu-Jamal" (Together We Will Save
Mumia Abu-Jamal), composed of approximately 80
organizations.  In Prison My Whole Life, the
outstanding film on Mumia, is being shown in
theaters throughout the country and continues to
draw acclaim at film festivals.  In Paris on
March 15, it was awarded the Grand Prix and the
Planete Prix at the Film Festival of Human Rights
(Le Festival International du Film des Droits de
l'Homme).  In my two speeches at the awards
ceremony, I accepted the prizes not only on
behalf of Mumia, but also "for all the men, women
and children who are on death rows around the
world."  The movie was also featured at the
Amnesty International, a past winner of the Nobel
Peace Prize, is a sponsor of the film.  Claude
Guillaumaud-Pujol, author of Mumia Abu-Jamal: The
Voice of the Voiceless, and I spoke after each
presentation.  The movie was also featured in the
Lyon International Film Festival last
October.  Mumia is grateful to Jacky Hortaut and
the many supporters in France who do so much in the cause of justice.

Netherlands  On April 3 and and 4, In Prison My
Whole Life was shown at Amnesty International's
Movies That Matter film festival in The Hague and
Amsterdam.  Nicole and I participated in both
events.  There was a panel discussion following
each showing in which Arlette Stuip, who attended
Goddard College with Mumia, Ms.
Guillaumaud-Pujol, and I discussed the case and answered questions.

Donations for Mumia's Legal Defense in the
U.S.  Our legal effort is the front line of the
battle for Mumia's freedom and life.  His legal
defense needs help.  The costs are substantial
for our litigation in the U.S. Supreme Court and
at the state level.  To help, please make your
checks payable to the National Lawyers Guild
Foundation (indicate "Mumia" on the bottom
left).  All donations are tax deductible under
the Internal Revenue Code Code, section 501(c)(3), and should be mailed to:
Committee To Save Mumia Abu-Jamal
P.O. Box 2012
New York, NY 10159-2012

Conclusion  It is outrageous and a violation of
human rights that Mumia remains in prison and on
death row.  His life hangs in the balance.  My
career has been marked by successfully
representing people facing death in murder
cases.  I will not rest until we win Mumia's case.  Justice requires no less.

With best wishes,

Robert R. Bryan
Law Offices of Robert R. Bryan
2088 Union Street, Suite 4