[Ppnews] Sign Mumia Petition to Eric Holder!

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jun 5 10:51:44 EDT 2009

PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION FOR MUMIA DEMANDING A CIVIL RIGHTS
INVESTIGATION OF THE OUTRAGEOUS 27 YEAR 'LEGAL' PROCESS HE HAS HAD TO ENDURE!

WRITE THE ATTORNEY GENERAL, ERIC HOLDER, DEMANDING JUSTICE FOR MUMIA!

SIGN THE LETTER
AT:
<http://www.iacenter.org/mumiapetition/>http://www.iacenter.org/mumiapetition/

Write to Attorney General Eric Holder demanding that he immediately
initiate a civil rights investigation addressing a 27-year history
of  prosecutorial and judicial violations of Mumia Abu-Jamal's
constitutional and international rights.  If  the Justice Department
can guarantee justice for Senator Ted Stevens, it should do the same
for noted journalist and multiple-award recipient, and international
honoree Mumia Abu-Jamal.  Demand that your elected officials endorse
this campaign!

Initiated by the Free Mumia Abu-Jamal Coalition (NYC)

SIGN THE ONLINE PETITION AT
<http://www.iacenter.org/mumiapetition>http://www.iacenter.org/mumiapetition

On April 6, the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear Mumia's appeal for
a new trial based on evidence of racist jury selection on the part of
the prosecutor during the original 1982 trial in Philadelphia. This
appeal was based on the 1986 U.S. Supreme Court "Batson decision", a
legal decision that says that prospective jurors cannot be selected
based on their race.

This issue was considered the strongest basis for overturning Mumia's
conviction, though certainly not the only one.  According to Amnesty
International's detailed review of the case, Mumia was denied at his
trial in 1982 the right to a fair judge and unbiased jury, the right
to represent himself and the right to adequate resources to prepare
his defense.  In addition, the prosecution withheld critical evidence
from the defense, judge and jury; suborned the perjury of its chief
witness; and intimidated at least one other witness to perjure
herself.  Since the AI report, more evidence has emerged of an
ongoing conspiracy by the prosecution and members of the judiciary to
keep out of the legal record evidence that points to Mumia's
innocence. At the very least, this evidence indicates serious
misconduct on the part of the prosecution and judiciary. It was
precisely this kind of misconduct that led to the overturning, just
two weeks ago, of the conviction of Senator Ted Stevens.

The Third Circuit Court of Appeals' rejection of Mumia's appeal on
the basis of the "Batson decision" shocked many legal observers, as
the court set new and higher standards of appeal in complete
violation of its own precedents.  One of the members of the
three-judge panel that arrived at this decision wrote a scathing
41-page dissent pointing to how Mumia was not granted the same rights
that previous appellants were given by this very same court.

Please take a few minutes to read, sign and circulate widely the
important letter below to Attorney General Eric Holder. Send copies
to other officials demanding that they, too, demand a civil rights
investigation.  Only a powerful, international campaign can win
long-overdue freedom for this outspoken, award-winning journalist and
stop a 27-year-old conspiracy to silence him with legal lynching or
life in prison without parole. Both options are outrageous violations
of Mumia's human and constitutional rights, and we will not allow
them to stand.  Mumia needs our movement and our movement needs Mumia.

SIGN THE ONLINE PETITION AT
<http://www.iacenter.org/mumiapetition>http://www.iacenter.org/mumiapetition

If you wish to send this via regular mail, feel free to use the following:

US Department of Justice

Washington, DC

April 2009

To Eric Holder, US Attorney General:

We write to you with a sense of grave concern and outrage about the
US Supreme Court's denial of a hearing to Mumia Abu-Jamal on the
issue of racial bias in jury selection, that is, the "Batson issue".
Inasmuch as there is no other court to which Abu-Jamal can appeal for
justice, we turn to you for remedy of a 27- year history of gross
violations of US constitutional law and international standards of
justice as documented by Amnesty International and many other legal
groups around the world.

We call on you and the Justice Department to immediately commence a
civil rights investigation to examine the many examples of egregious
and racist prosecutorial and judicial misconduct dating back to the
original trial in 1982 and continuing through to the current inaction
of the US Supreme Court. The statute of limitations should not be a
factor in this case as there is very strong evidence of an ongoing
conspiracy to deny Abu-Jamal his constitutional rights.

We are aware of the many differences that exist between the case of
former Senator Ted Stevens and Mumia Abu-Jamal.  Still, we note with
great interest the actions you have taken with regard to Senator
Stevens' conviction to assure that he not be denied his
constitutional rights.  You were specifically outraged by the fact
that the prosecution withheld information critical to the defense's
argument for acquittal, a violation clearly committed by the
prosecution in Abu-Jamal's case.  Mumia Abu-Jamal, though not a US
senator of great wealth and power, is a Black man revered around the
world for his courage, clarity, and commitment and deserves no less
than Senator Stevens.

Cordially,
(Your signature will be appended here based on the contact
information you enter in the online form)

SIGN THE ONLINE PETITION AT
<http://www.iacenter.org/mumiapetition>http://www.iacenter.org/mumiapetition

International Campaign for Justice for Mumia Abu-Jamal

Sponsored by:

Free Mumia Abu-Jamal Coalition (NYC)
P.O. Box 16, College Station
New York, N.Y. 10030
(212) 330-8029
<http://www.freemumia.com>www.freemumia.com

International Concerned Family and Friends of Mumia Abu-Jamal
Philadelphia, PA
<http://www.freemumia.com>www.freemumia.com
(215) 476-8812

Millions for Mumia
<http://www.millions4mumia.org>www.millions4mumia.org

International Action Center
<http://www.iacenter.org>www.iacenter.org
c/o Solidarity Center
55 West 17th St 5C
New York, NY 10011
For further information call: (212) 633-6646