[Ppnews] Torture at a Louisiana Prison

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jan 27 12:28:12 EST 2009

http://www.counterpunch.org/flaherty01272009.html

January 27, 2009

What About Closing Angola, Mr. Obama?

Torture at a Louisiana Prison

By JORDAN FLAHERTY

The torture of prisoners in US custody is not
only found in military prisons in Iraq,
Afghanistan and Guantanamo. If President Obama is
serious about ending US support for torture, he can start here in Louisiana.

The Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola is
already notorious for a range of offenses,
including keeping former Black Panthers Herman
Wallace and Albert Woodfox, in solitary for over
36 years. Now a death penalty trial in St.
Francisville, Louisiana has exposed widespread
and systemic abuse at the prison. Even in the
context of eight years of the Bush
administration, the behavior documented at the
Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola stands out
both for its brutality and for the significant
evidence that it was condoned and encouraged from
the very top of the chain of command.

In a remarkable hearing that explored torture
practices at Angola, twenty-five inmates
testified last summer to facing overwhelming
violence in the aftermath of an escape attempt at
the prison nearly a decade ago. These twenty-five
inmates - who were not involved in the escape
attempt - testified to being kicked, punched,
beaten with batons and with fists, stepped on,
left naked in a freezing cell, and threatened
that they would be killed. They were threatened
by guards that they would be sexually assaulted
with batons. They were forced to urinate and
defecate on themselves. They were bloodied, had
teeth knocked out, were beaten until they lost
control of bodily functions, and beaten until
they signed statements or confessions presented
to them by prison officials. One inmate had a
broken jaw, and another was placed in solitary confinement for eight years.

While prison officials deny the policy of abuse,
the range of prisoners who gave statements, in
addition to medical records and other evidence
introduced at the trial, present a powerful
argument that abuse is a standard policy at the
prison. Several of the prisoners received $7,000
when the state agreed to settle, without
admitting liability, two civil rights lawsuits
filed by 13 inmates. The inmates will have to
spend that money behind bars –more than 90% of
Angola's prisoners are expected to die behind its walls.

Systemic Violence

During the attempted escape at Angola, in which
one guard was killed and two were taken hostage,
a team of officers - including Angola warden Burl
Cain - rushed in and began shooting, killing one
inmate, Joel Durham, and wounding another, David Mathis.

The prison has no official guidelines for what
should happen during escape attempts or other
crises, a policy that seems designed to encourage
the violent treatment documented in this case.
Richard Stalder, at that time the secretary of
the Louisiana Department of Public Safety and
Corrections, was also at the prison at the time.
Yet despite – or because of - the presence of the
prison warden and head of corrections for the
state, guards were given free hand to engage in
violent retribution. Cain later told a reporter
after the shooting that Angola's policy was not
to negotiate, saying, ''That's a message all the
inmates know. They just forgot it. And now they know it again.''

Five prisoners – including Mathis - were charged
with murder, and currently are on trial, facing
the death penalty – partially based on testimony
from other inmates that was obtained through
beatings and torture. Mathis is represented by
civil rights attorneys Jim Boren (who also
represented one of the Jena Six youths) and
Rachel Connor, with assistance from Nola
Investigates, an investigative firm in New
Orleans that specializes in defense for capital cases.

The St. Francisville hearing was requested by
Mathis' defense counsel to demonstrate that, in
the climate of violence and abuse, inmates were
forced to sign statements through torture, and
therefore those statements should be
inadmissible. 20th Judicial District Judge George
H. Ware Jr. ruled that the documented torture and
abuse was not relevant. However, the behavior
documented in the hearing not only raises strong
doubts about the cases against the Angola Five,
but it also shows that violence against inmates
has become standard procedure at the prison.

The hearing shows a pattern of systemic abuse so
open and regular, it defies the traditional
excuse of bad apples. Inmate Doyle Billiot
testified to being threatened with death by the
guards, "What's not to be afraid of? Got all
these security guards coming around you everyday
looking at you sideways, crazy and stuff. Don't
know what's on their mind, especially when they
threaten to kill you." Another inmate, Robert
Carley testified that a false confession was
beaten out of him. ""I was afraid," he said. "I
felt that if I didn't go in there and tell them something, I would die."

Inmate Kenneth "Geronimo" Edwards testified that
the guards "beat us half to death." He also
testified that guards threatened to sexually
assault him with a baton, saying, "that's a big
black
say you want it." Later, Edwards says, the
guards, "put me in my cell. They took all my
clothes. Took my jumpsuit. Took all the sheets,
everything out the cell, and put me in the cell
buck-naked
It was cold in the cell. They opened
the windows and turned the blowers on." At least
a dozen other inmates also testified to receiving
the same beatings, assault, threats of sexual
violence, and "freezing treatment."

Some guards at the prison treated the abuse as a
game. Inmate Brian Johns testified at the hearing
that, "one of the guards was hitting us all in
the head. Said he liked the sound of the drums –
the drumming sound that – from hitting us in the head with the stick."

Solitary Confinement

Two of Angola's most famous residents, political
prisoners Herman Wallace and Albert Woodfox, have
become the primary example of another form of
abuse common at Angola – the use of solitary
confinement as punishment for political views.
The two have now each spent more than 36 years in
solitary, despite the fact that a judge recently
overturned Woodfox's conviction (prison
authorities continue to hold Woodfox and have
announced plans to retry him). Woodfox and
Wallace – who together with former prisoner King
Wilkerson are known as the Angola Three - have
filed a civil suit against Angola, arguing that
their confinement has violated both their 8th
amendment rights against cruel and unusual
punishment and 4th amendment right to due process.

Recent statements by Angola warden Burl Cain
makes clear that Woodfox and Wallace are being
punished for their political views. At a recent
deposition, attorneys for Woodfox asked Cain,
"Lets just for the sake of argument assume, if
you can, that he is not guilty of the murder of
Brent Miller." Cain responded, "Okay. I would
still keep him in (solitary)
I still know that he
is still trying to practice Black Pantherism, and
I still would not want him walking around my
prison because he would organize the young new
inmates. I would have me all kind of problems,
more than I could stand, and I would have the
blacks chasing after them...He has to stay in a cell while he's at Angola."

In addition to Cain's comments, Louisiana
Attorney General James "Buddy" Caldwell has said
the case against the Angola Three is personal to
him. Statements like this indicate that this
vigilante attitude not only pervades New Orleans'
criminal justice system, but that the problem comes from the very top.

The problem is not limited to Louisiana State
Penitentiary at Angola – similar stories can be
found in prisons across the US. But from the
abandonment of prisoners in Orleans Parish Prison
during Katrina to the case of the Jena Six,
Louisiana's criminal justice system, which has
the highest incarceration rate in the world,
often seems to be functioning under
plantation-style justice. Most recently,
journalist A.C. Thompson, in an investigation of
post-Katrina killings, found evidence that the
New Orleans police department supported vigilante
attacks against Black residents of New Orleans after Katrina.

Torture and abuse is illegal under both US law –
including the constitutional prohibition against
cruel and unusual punishment - and international
treaties that the US is signatory to, from the
1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights to the
International Covenant on Civil and Political
Rights (ratified in 1992). Despite the laws and
treaties, US prison guards have rarely been held
accountable to these standards.

Once we say that abuse or torture is ok against
prisoners, the next step is for it to be used in
the wider population. A recent petition for
administrative remedies filed by Herman Wallace
states, "If Guantanamo Bay has been a national
embarrassment and symbol of the U.S. government's
relation to charges, trials and torture, then
what is being done to the Angola 3
 is what we
are to expect if we fail to act quickly
The
government tries out it's torture techniques on
prisoners in the U.S. – just far enough to see
how society will react. It doesn't take long
before they unleash their techniques on society
as a whole." If we don't stand up against this abuse now, it will only spread.

Despite the hearings, civil suits, and other
documentation, the guards who performed the acts
documented in the hearing on torture at Angola
remain unpunished, and the system that designed
it remains in place. In fact, many of the guards
have been promoted, and remain in supervisory
capacity over the same inmates they were
documented to have beaten mercilessly. Warden
Burl Cain still oversees Angola. Meanwhile, the
trial of the Angola Five is moving forward, and
those with the power to change the pattern of abuse at Angola remain silent.

Jordan Flaherty is a journalist based in New
Orleans, and an editor of Left Turn Magazine. He
can be reached at <mailto:neworleans at leftturn.org>neworleans at leftturn.org.

Research assistance for this article by Emily Ratner.