[Ppnews] URGENT ALERT! Leonard Peltier beaten

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jan 21 10:15:11 EST 2009

Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 17:20:11 -0800 (PST)

Dear LP Supporters

I am so OUTRAGED!  My brother Leonard was severely beaten upon his
arrival at the Canaan Federal Penitentiary.  When he went into
population after his transfer, some inmates assaulted him.  The
severity of his injuries is that he suffered numerous blows to his
head and body, receiving a large bump on his head, possibly a
concussion, and numerous bruises.  Also, one of his fingers is
swollen and discolored and he has pain in his chest and
ribcage.  There was blood everywhere from his injuries.
We feel that prison authorities at the prompting of the FBI
orchestrated this attack and thus, we are greatly concerned about his
safety.  It may be that the attackers, whom Leonard did not even
know, were offered reduced sentences for carrying out this heinous
assault.  Since Leonard is up for parole soon, this could be a
conspiracy to discredit a model prisoner.

He was placed in solitary confinement and only given one meal, this
is generally done when you won't name your attackers; incidentally
being only given one meal seriously jeopardizes his health because of
his diabetes.   Prison officials refuse to release any info to the
family, but they need to hear from his supporters to protect his
safety, as does President Obama.  His attorneys are trying to get
calls into him now.

This attack on LP comes on the heels of the FBI's recent letter,
prompting this attack by FBI supporters as an attempt to discredit LP
as a model prisoner. Anyone who has been in the prison system knows
well that if you refuse to name your attackers or file charges
against them, then you lose your status as a victim and/or given
points against your possible parole and labeled as a perpetrator.

It is not uncommon, in fact is quite common for the government to use
Indian against Indian and they still operate under the old adage "it
takes an Indian to catch an Indian." In 1978, they made an attempt to
assassinate him through another Indian man who was also at Marion
prison with LP. But Standing Deer chose to reveal the plot to him
instead of taking his life in exchange FOR A CHANCE AT FREEDOM. When
Standing Deer was released in 2001, he joined the former Leonard
Peltier Defense Committee as a board member. He also began to speak
on Leonard's behalf until his murder six years ago today. Prior to
his murder, Standing Deer confided with close friends and associates
that the same man who visited him in Marion to assassinate Peltier,
had came to Houston, TX and told him that he had better stay away
from Peltier and anything to do with
him.

We are aware that currently, the FBI is actively seeking support for
his continued imprisonment of Leonard Peltier and also also seeking
support from Native People.  So please be aware, and keep Leonard in
your prayers. The FBI is apparently afraid of the impact we are
having. If they will set him up to blemish his record just before a
parole hearing, what will they do when it looks like his freedom will
become a reality? We need to make sure that nothing happens to him again!

Please write the President, send it priority or registered
mail.  Email to Change.gov or email President Obama.  Call your
congressional representatives and write letters, not email, to them.
Do what you can to get the word out to insure that LP is receiving
adequate medical attention for his injuries.

I am asking you, supporters of Leonard and advocates of justice at
this time to help.  I don't know what else to do. Please Help!

Thank you
Betty Peltier-Solano
  Executive Coordinator
Leonard Peltier Defense Offense Committee

Also call and request Leonard be treated with dignity and respect.
Canaan Federal Prison
570-488-8000