[Ppnews] Imprisoned women appeal for news of families in Gaza

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jan 15 12:36:51 EST 2009

Imprisoned women appeal for news of families in Gaza
http://english.pnn.ps/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4507&Itemid=1

15.01.09 - 11:00

Jenin / Ali Samoudi – Palestinian political
prisoners from the Gaza Strip are suffering a
severe dearth of information about their families.

The Israeli prison administration has all but
banned news, reports the Palestinian Prisoners
Society. “The suffering is exacerbated when
contacts with relatives are disallowed.”

Earlier this week a PPS lawyer discovered that
dozens of Palestinians from the Gaza Strip have
gone to the Israeli prison administration during
the past 20 days to ask for the slightest contact
with family members, but every request has been denied.

Family visits and contacts for political
prisoners from Gaza have been difficult for at
least four years during which time the transfer
of funds to prison store accounts, the Cantina, have been banned.

Fatma Azzak is a woman who is sentenced to 14
years in Israeli prison. She suffers as thousands
do: her medical condition is being untreated.
Azzak is awaiting an operation scheduled for two months in Kfar Saba Hospital.

The situation inside as the horrors of Gaza
unfold is worse, she told her lawyer this week.
“I ask that the Palestinian people unite and
stand to thwart the aggression on Gaza.” Azzak
continued, “Our hearts are heavy and sad for
children, women and the elderly who want peace
and are instead faced with aggression at home. I
am saddened by the static of conscience.”

Azzak is from the Gaza Strip and does not know if
she will ever see her family again. She says
action is necessary, not words. “We do not expect
food and drink. We want the world’s one billion
Muslims to stand beside us, not kneel. We will
not be broken inside the closed borders.”

Vera Habib is also from the Gaza Strip. She told
her Prisoners Society lawyer that her appeal is
to anyone who will listen. “We want to appeal to
the conscience of humanity. Please allow us to
speak to our children, to communicate with our
families, to learn of their fate. The denial of
this right is part of the war waged by the occupation against out people.”

There are approximately 11,000 Palestinians
currently in Israeli prisons, including women and children.