[Ppnews] Veronza Bower's New years

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jan 2 10:38:46 EST 2009

1/01/09

Veronza Bower's New Years after 35 years of wrongly imprisonment!

Many of you know my dear friend Veronza from
looking at his WEB site – Veronza.org.  Veronza
has served his full 30 years sentence and we
believe he is being held illegally in Federal
prison.  As many of you might know we currently
have a suit being conducted in the Federal courts
to win his freedom. Remember he has served his full sentence!

In my life I have learned to love and respect
Veronza.  He is an intelligent compassionate
human being who does more work for humanity
behind bars than most people do who are free.  In
the 60s he was swept up and "maneuvered" into
jail by an FBI that was charged with destroying
the Black Panther movement - regardless of
whether their methods were legal or otherwise.

JUSTICE WILL BE DONE WHEN THOSE WHO HAVE NOT BEEN
INJURED BY THE SYSTEM ARE AS OUT RAGED AS THOSE
WHO HAVE BEEN INJURED BY THE SYSTEM!

As he waits for the court's decision Veronza will
not eat in the prison cafeteria.  There are too
many incidents and fights which occur which could
give the prison officials an excuse to charge
Veronza with an "Incident Report".  So he buys
food at the commissary and takes a tin of
sardines or cheese crackers to eat in his
cell.  When I visit him in prison I am constantly
awed by the respect and prestige that other
prisoners show towards him.  When I talk to him
on the phone I am constantly amazed at his
ability to remain calm and focused and able to
retain his dignity.  In fact, occasionally he
hears the desperation in my voice and responds by
trying to cheer me up.  Go figure?

The reason I am writing to you is to express the
need for funds necessary to free this worthy
human being.  Some of the lawyers work pro bono
some have to be paid.  He needs money for
telephone calls, food, and whatever it takes to
make life bearable in a Federal Prison.

Wither it is $5 or $5,000 every penny is a major
contribution to a truly worthy cause:  The
easiest way to contribute is to make a check out to:

             Veronza Bowers Jr. Defense Fund

And mail it: in care of Maynard Garfield

2500 Barton Creek Blvd.  Apt. 1509

                                     Austin, TX  78735

I thank you for listening – andd may your
Holliday season be filled with family and friends and joy!

PS: If you wish to have your name removed from
our mailing list please let us know.

Maynard M. Garfield

<mailto:mmgarfield at mmgarfield.com>mmgarfield at mmgarfield.com