[Ppnews] 6 Prisoners Assaulted in PA's Camp Hill SMU on Inauguration Day

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Feb 17 10:35:00 EST 2009

From: Hans Bennett <hbjournalist1 at gmail.com>

<http://www.phillyimc.org/en/urgent-action-alert-6-prisoners-assaulted-camp-hill-smu-inauguration-day>http://www.phillyimc.org/en/urgent-action-alert-6-prisoners-assaulted-camp-hill-smu-inauguration-day

On January 20, 2009 guards in the Special Management Unit (SMU) at
the State Correctional [sic] Institution (SCI) in Camp Hill,
Pennsylvania assaulted six prisoners, reportedly citing as reasons
that these men file grievances against guard misconduct and are
engaged in civil litigation against DOC officials; contact outside
organizations (HRC/Fed Up! and
<http://www.prisoners.com/>www.prisoners.com in particular) to expose
conditions of torture; also to send a message-in their words: "fuck a
historical day, y'all always going to be niggers."

Seven men inside the state's premier torture unit have testified to
the following events in reports to HRC/Fed Up!, including six men who
submitted Declarations of Truth pursuant to 28 U.S.C. 1746 and
subject to the penalty of perjury, adding to the hundreds of pages of
prisoner reports, additional Declarations, institutional paperwork,
and civil litigation documents sent to our offices from the SMU at
Camp Hill alone since only June of 2008.  The incidents have been
verified in a personal interview with Mr. Damont Hagan, who has since
been transferred (as we've been demanding for 5
months).  Superintendent's Assistant Robert Volciak further verified
that four or five men were subjected to forcible cell extractions on
the 20th in a telephone conversation of January 26th.   Several
others around the state and the country, from Louisiana to
California, have received reports of these assaults as well and
contacted our offices.

We are asking that you read the alert, become angry, and act
accordingly to help protect the men in the SMU and by extension all
others subjected to the normalized white supremacist torture
occurring on a daily basis inside prisons in the state of
Pennsylvania and throughout the U.S.

Inauguration Day

David Smith #FZ5176: On 1/20/09 C/O Liddick, C/O Zeigler, and Lt.
Kuzar approached Gary Tucker's cell upon the pretext of wanting to
conduct a search, despite having conducted one on 1/15/09.  When
Tucker came to the door, Liddick said, "Since this guy likes filing
grievances, let's make an example out of him."  Tucker refused to
leave his cell after Kuzar denied his request to have a Captain or
Unit Manager present.  Willie Robinson then refused to leave his cell
out of fear for his safety.  David Smith then consented to a cell
search, and was promptly assaulted by the above named staff and
thrown in another cell, separated from his property.  Mr. Smith
reportedly suffered undisclosed injuries.

Gary Tucker #FG8520: In his own words: "A little later that morning a
cell extraction team came to my cell.  I was then told to come to the
door and cuff up.  When I walked to the door a guard opened the slot
and sprayed me in the face with a whole lot of OC mace.  I backed
away from the door blinded; seconds later more mace was sprayed
inside the cell, trapping my lungs up, that's when about 7 guards
(including Lt. Kuzar, C/O Brant) charged into the cell slamming me to
the bed with electric shields [that discharge 50,000 volts of
electricity].  These electric shields were pressed against my body
and held there for several minutes while the 6 guards took turns
beating, kicking, and shocking me with hand held stun guns.  After
cuffing me they continued beating me down and shocking me.  The guard
holding the camera maneuvered the camera so that the beating couldn't
be caught on it.  From D-12 I was dragged out the cell and hoisted
into the medical cell.  There the beating continued (shocking,
choking, and punching) and a male nurse squirted a liquid in my eyes
that didn't seem to help at all.  Next I was airlifted up a flight of
stairs (after protests from several inmates about my medical
condition [which requires me to be] bottom tier status.  I was taken
into D2-20, slammed face first to the metal bed frame and the 6 or 7
guards continued jumping and shocking me with stun guns.  After
several minutes of this I was stripped naked, dragged to the floor
and pulled up to the tray slot and the cuffs were taken off after
they tried to break my wrists.  I requested to see medical but was
denied the request so my injuries weren't [recorded].  The injuries
suffered were as follows: face swollen both sides; wrists with deep
cuts from the cuffs; stiff neck (I can barely move my neck); severe
pain in my lower back which makes it hard for me to move; my right
arm dislocated; badly swollen right ankle that I can't put pressure
on and a bloody mouth.  Several inmates witnessed this assault and
the Lt. Kuzar kept yelling, "Stop resisting" which was merely a means
to justify their actions in assaulting me.  Truth was I never
resisted; I couldn't resist at all."

Damont Hagan #DS9488: In his own words: "I was approached by C/O
Brant who threatened me, informing me that I had to come out for a
search, stating 'the camera can be manipulated Hagan, remember
that.'  He also called me a 'nigger.' . . . After a while, I told
Unit Manager Chris Chambers [about the threats] . . ., and informed
him that 'I fear for my life.'  He retorted, "Hagan, I'm tired of
this complaining to HRC and
<http://www.prisoners.com/>www.prisoners.com and preliminary
injunctions.  Y'all did this to y'all selves, now y'all
scared.  You're coming out regardless, so write HRC [which he
did-let's be there for him] or have .com write the Attorney General
again, who cares.' . . .  A cell extraction team came and the same
SMU staff (Brant, Kuzar) were in suit.  I also witnessed them abuse
Gary Tucker.  They told me to cuff-up and I told them I feared for my
life (on camera).  Sgt. Maxwell then sprayed me with OC which got in
my lungs and eyes, forcing me to cuff up."  After being cuffed Hagan
was taken to a cell where his clothes were cut off of him and Sgt.
Maxwell whispered sexually lewd comments to Hagan regarding Lt.
Flowers (a female) being present.  Mr. Hagan was denied water for two
days, his food was tampered with when it wasn't denied altogether,
and he was left naked in a freezing cell, which caused him to become
sick.  He was transferred on 1/27/09 to SCI Pittsburgh.

Ronald Jackson #CF3994: Mr. Jackson refused to exit his cell because
of the threatening and assaultive behavior of the guards, and was
subsequently attacked with mace and punched several times in the back
and head by C/O Brant, carried to another cell where C/Os Brant,
Liddick, Ziegler, Lt. Kuzar, and Sgt. Maxwell cut off his clothing
and cut his dreadlocks.  Mr. Jackson was left bleeding behind both
ears, had numbness in both hands, and cuff markings remained on his
wrists for 6 days.  Mr. Jackson was left naked and without property
or state issue items for six days-like all the others assaulted on
this day.  On January 26th he was returned to his cell, which was
still contaminated with mace.  C/O Huber, Jones, Sabolsky, Banks,
Martz, and a Lt. stole and destroyed much of his personal and legal
property.  In a written response to Mr. Jackson regarding this theft,
Superintendent Palakovich justified yet another unmistakable effort
on the part of SMU staff to deny access to the courts under the
pretext that his property was contaminated with mace and needed to be
destroyed as a result.  Given that several of the prisoners extracted
that day have reported being returned to cells still contaminated
with mace, this explanation cannot be taken seriously.  Mr. Jackson's
lawsuit against the DOC will likely be sabotaged by this theft and
destruction of his legal documents, which is a widespread practice
throughout the PA DOC.

Willie Robinson #FX7258: After refusing to exit his cell for obvious
reasons, Mr. Robinson was attacked by the same guards with mace and
thrown in a cell that had dried blood on the walls and floor for 6
days without bed sheets or underclothing.  Following this he was
returned to his former cell, which was still contaminated with mace,
including his bedding.

Jamar Perry #DQ4432: Mr. Perry was also attacked with mace and cell
extracted on this day.  According to Michael Edwards, in a
Declaration subject to the penalty of perjury, Mr. Perry is severely
mentally retarded, constantly covers his cell and his person with
bodily waste-which he also ingests-and suffers from suicidal
tendencies.  Staff, including C/O Flynn, Sgt. Jones, and Lt. Kuzar,
frequently call him names such as "retarded nigger," and encourage
him to kill himself.  Mr. Perry has been constrained in a "restraint
chair" on several occasions, including the first three days of
February.  These devices are widely recognized as implements of
torture.  He reportedly wants to die, and ranking officials,
including Regional Deputy Secretary Shirley Moore-Smeal have
witnessed his fetid condition and taken no remedial action, despite
policy provisions against housing severely mentally ill and
developmentally disabled inmates in the SMU.

White Supremacy and Repression

In another Declaration from Michael Edwards, Unit Manager Chris
Chambers is again alleged to have threatened Mr. Edwards for his
correspondence with HRC/Fed Up!  Chambers and Huber and others have
repeatedly threatened Damont Hagan and Gary Tucker about their
involvement with HRC and
<http://www.prisoners.com/>www.prisoners.com, along with other
efforts to expose torture and officially-sanctioned sadism inside the
SMU at Camp Hill.

An all white staff in the SMU is holding hostage and waging a
one-sided war against a captive, defenseless population that is
"99.9% blacks and latinos," according to Mr. Edwards.

A small sampling of racist remarks made by SMU staff, according to
Declarations submitted by Michael Edwards, are as follows:

*1/19/09: C/O Brant stated over the PA system, "I have a dream that
one day all of you niggers will be dead," after which he laughed,
clapped his hands, and lit a smoke; *1/20/09: Lt. Kuzar stated, "He
[Obama] may have won, in my eyes he's still a nigger."  Brant and C/O
Flynn started laughing at this, and Kuzar continued, "There will be
no showers or yard today.  We are going to show you niggers who run this SMU."
*1/20/09: When told Tucker has a medical condition and is not to be
housed upstairs, Chambers replied, "I don't give a fuck what medical
says, I want that nigger upstairs now."
*1/30/09: After Chambers told Mr. Edwards he would not be receiving
any law books or property in retaliation for his working with HRC/Fed
Up!, Huber told the inmate, "Hey listen up nigger, I have the green
light to kill your black ass," before walking away from the cell laughing.
*2/1/09: Lt. Kuzar stated to Mr. Edwards, "Nigger do you honestly
believe we are going to let you, or any of these other niggers get
away with what you are doing?"

Hagan, Jackson, Tucker, Robinson, Smith, Edwards, Terry Brooks, and
others in the SMU are being targeted for their refusal to be silenced
and submit to a regime of white supremacist torture.  These men
continue to file grievances, pursue civil litigation, and write
family, friends, and other allies on the outside to expose the
illegal and degrading conditions they are being subjected to.

Despite being starved, gassed, electrocuted, beaten, sickened, and
subjected to racist death threats on a daily basis, these men refuse
to submit, they continue to resist, and they are calling on us to
take action again.

This action alert is more comprehensive and far ranging in the
targets it lists than the ones in November and September (provide
links).  We have watched the Emergency Response Network grow
considerably over the last 12 months, especially during the last 4,
and countless people have answered the call to defend the rights and
lives of prisoners.  This is why we are asking even more from our
allies this time, because we trust you will continue to intensify
your efforts, channeling your outrage into action and building this
movement against torture and racism and for human rights.

As Michael Edwards recently wrote from the SMU: "Keep doing what you
are doing, because it surely is working.  Some of these guards are
just walking around here banging on any and everything, and using
racial slurs.  This means we are winning the war."  I take this to
mean that this latest outburst of hate and violence by SMU guards is
a desperate reaction to growing outside pressure.  They are trying to
silence the men in the SMU through daily acts of terror, but it is
not working.  Resistance continues, and the outside pressure is
growing. . . .

Action Alert Targets and Talking points

DOC Targets

DOC Secretary Jeffrey Beard-717-975-4918
2520 Lisburn Road
Camp Hill, PA 17001

Superintendent John Palakovich
SCI Camp Hill
P.O. Box 200
Camp Hill, PA 17001

Office of Professional Repsonsibility
Director James Barnacle (formerly with the FBI (i.e. u.s. political
police) for 30 years-see the book Agents of Reprssion by Churchill
and Vander Wall for more on the criminal nature of the FBI)
717-214-8473
2520 Lisburn Road
Camp Hill, PA 17001

1)-Report the truth of the Inauguration Day atrocity: six men were
targeted for assault with chemical and electrocution weapons by
guards calling them "niggers" in retaliation for these prisoners
continuing to file grievances, pursue civil litigation, expose prison
conditions to the public, and otherwise seek justice.  Be specific,
name the names of the prisoners, guards, the threats made and
injuries suffered. Tell them that you are sickened by the endless
reports of flagrant racism on the part of guards and the obvious
approval of such by top officials in Camp Hill and the
DOC.  Grievances and civil suits reach Supt. Palakovich and Secretary
Beard by the thousands regarding the racist attitudes and actions of
staff under their command, and they refuse to take action
2)-Emphasize the role of Unit Manager Chris Chambers-demand he be
fired: As our abuse logs indicate
(<http://www.thomasmertoncenter.org/fedup/abusereports.htm>http://www.thomasmertoncenter.org/fedup/abusereports.htm),
Unit Manager Chris Chambers, who oversees the SMU, bears command
responsibility for the actions of Jones, Kuzar, Sabalsky, Banks,
Flynn, Brant, and the rest.  We want to build his infamy and make him
a liability to the PA DOC and SCI Camp Hill.  If his superiors lean
on him because of the heat they feel from the people, then he will
lean on SMU staff to end the torture in order to protect
himself.  Tell Beard that you have reviewed the accumulated evidence
from the 20th and the preceding months, and that Chambers needs to be
held accountable for his crimes.  Failure to do so will be understood
as complicity in torture.  Emphasize that several prisoners
consistently report that Chambers has personally told them on
multiple occasions that he is punishing them for filing lawsuits and
contacting HRC/Fed Up! and <http://www.prisoners.com/>www.prisoners.com.
3)-Transfers for Tucker, Jamar Perry, Michael Edwards, Terry Brooks,
Ronald Jackson: These men need transferred immediately.  When
speaking of Gary Tucker tell them that his continued confinement in
the SMU is a violation of DOC Policy 6.5.1 (which is top
secret-forbidden to the public-and has been provided to HRC via
clandestine means) which states that an inmate who does not show
progress in the initial 12 to 18 months should be deemed a failure
and transferred.  Mr. Tucker has been in the SMU for 28
months.  Furthermore, Jamar Perry suffers from severe developmental
disability (i.e. reportedly mentally retarded) and needs an immediate
transfer.  Edwards, Brooks, and Jackson continue to face retaliation
for filing grievances and lawsuits.
4)-Speak your own truths, make your own demands:  If you have ideas
of who to contact (press, lawyers, the Justice Department, law
enforcement, United Nations, Amnesty International, Human Rights
Watch, NAACP, ACLU) then tell the authorities of your intention and
then get a hold of these organizations and have them contact us to
learn more.  Each one needs to conduct their own investigations to
verify these truths.  Also, be encouraged to tell them that they need
to close down the SMU for good-it is a failed program that does
nothing but torture vulnerable prisoners, and it is irredeemably
racist.  Please inform HRC/Fed Up! of your efforts so we can keep
track of where this alert and the supporting evidence are sent and
the various responses it receives.  Be encouraged to become a point
person for reaching out to Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International,
the NAACP, or whoever.  Just make sure you are familiar enough with
the talking points and the evidence that supports them and stay in
touch with us.
5)-Prior Notice: Beard and Palakovich have been notified of the
criminal acts of retaliation, racist hate crimes, denial of access to
the courts, assault, medical neglect, etc. months ago.  There is a
paper trail leading to their office and their adamant refusal to
accept accountability for the actions of staff under the command of
Unit Manager Chris Chambers amounts to complicity in torture.
6)-Accountability: Let it be known, finally, that we intend to see
criminals held accountable, and that each denial, evasion, and
deception on the part of prison officials will only strengthen our
resolve to pursue justice by every means possible.  We want accountability now.
7)-Special for OPR: The Office of Professional Responsibility (which
is neither professional nor responsible, but is-supposedly-an
office), the DOC's own internal "investigation" unit assured an
HRC/Fed Up! investigator in early January that they were in fact
conducting an investigation into documented human rights violations
inside the SMU at Camp Hill.  After declaring that they always talk
to the inmates, OPR Director James Barnacle went on to directly
contradict himself by admitting that their "investigation" consisted
of cross-checking our documentation with the prison's own
records.  Given that the prison records will report only what guards
say, since the word of prisoners is deemed prima facie untrue
according to their totalitarian (and, yes, racist) ideology, Barnacle
more or less admitted that his investigation was in fact not an
investigation at all.  Furthermore, we have specifically asked
several of the men in the SMU if OPR has interviewed them, and with
one exception (Brooks was interviewed two or three months ago about
an assault he suffered in 2007), nobody had seen OPR-despite several
having contacted them-by the end of January.  Tell OPR that we know
they are not engaged in transparent and good faith investigations,
because if they were SMU staff under the command of Unit Manager
Chris Chambers would not dare perpetrate such atrocities.  Demand
responsibility and professionalism from Barnacle.

Political Targets

Governor Ed Rendell

See numbers 1-6 above.  Rendell was informed at the end of November,
with considerable documentation.  He sent it to OPR.

Senator Stewart Greenleaf

Inquire into the appropriate process for requesting hearings in front
of the PA General Assembly, and then request a hearing-to be
organized by HRC/Fed Up! and our allies-regarding torture in PA
prisons.  Provide him our contact information and ask that his staff
get in contact with us.  Tell staff what is going on in the SMU at Camp Hill.

Local PA Representatives

Hammer away at them, make these lazy, incompetent, and corrupt
parasites take a stand.  Demand they petition Greenleaf for a
hearing.  Who are these fools anyway?

Reminders about demeanor, temperament, manners, composure, etc.

Just a reminder, it is acceptable and appropriate to express anger,
be firm in our demands, and not tolerate deceptions and
diversions.  That said, it is critical that we control our anger and
not vice versa, and maintain composure and dignity in our
demeanor.  We want the functionaries manning the phones and reading
the mail to be impressed by our command of the facts and message consistency.

Mary Ann Kushner at SCI Fayette apparently told one of our allies
that HRC people had been "nasty" to her.  Given Mary Ann's less than
sterling reputation as a truth-teller, I assume that means you were
all doing your job and holding firm to our shared principles in
defense of prisoners' rights and lives, which no doubt upset Mary
Ann.  So, keep the cursing to the minimum amount necessary and get at
them day after day after day.

And pace yourself.  Make a call today, two tomorrow, another the next
day, and keep at it for weeks on end.  This is a long struggle and
we're in it for life.  Invite others to join, today.  Thank you.

We need lawyers!  Please help us find lawyers with grit,
intelligence, and integrity who are willing to go to war with the DOC.

PS-Taking it to the Streets

Phone calls and letter writing are important, very important for
providing some measure of oversight and security to the men in Camp
Hill and other torture chambers in PA and the U.S.  But it is but one
tactic amongst many.  We need to take this to the streets and get on
a move.  Be on the lookout for an invitation in the near future, when
the entirety of the country-and beyond-will be welcomed into the
state to voice their collective outrage over the dehumanizing white
supremacist torture of the PA prison system.

HRC/Fed Up! has accumulated over 100 pages of documentation of human
rights violations in PA prisons in the last 16 months alone,
supported by thousands of pages of prisoner reports, affidavits,
declarations, grievances, requests to staff, and civil litigation
documents, and further corroborated by hundreds of hours of
interviews/conversations with prisoners and their loved ones on the
outside.  We can assert with absolute confidence and substantial-in
fact, incontrovertible-evidence that torture is a widespread,
systemic feature of the prison system that deliberately sabotages
parole and increases recidivism, hence creating the conditions for
continued market growth for the prison-industrial complex.

PPS-Call and/or write us!

Who are you?  Have you taken action?  Can we know one another and
work together to beat back this insufferable brutality?  Call, email,
write whenever.

Please provide feedback as to your conversations with the peoples
above and other efforts undertaken to protect the men in Camp Hill's SMU.

Thank you.

Solidarity, Health, Respect,
Trust, and Struggle

Contact Information