[Ppnews] Leonard Peltier Feb 6, 2009 Statement

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Feb 12 12:23:43 EST 2009

Sender: contact at whoisleonardpeltier.info

02/06/09

Greetings my relatives,

First of all, before anything else I want to
thank all for the work that you've been
doing  because what you do for me, you do it for
my people and all those that come after us.

The enemy that we face has many faces; the FBI is
only one of them.  The greatest enemy that we
face is the lack of knowledge that people have
about us as Indian people and themselves and the
true history of this nation.  Some people say we
have too many rights, but they don't understand
the difference between obtained and retained
rights.  In educating our opposition we must also
educate ourselves as to the laws and policies
that are considered to be the laws of the land at
this time.  We must be able to remind them of the
law or policies that they themselves have been
guilty of violating and if need be we need to
challenge the validity of those laws and policies
where they are detrimental to the natural
environment and overall well being of the people.

We have the right to defend ourselves, defend our
people and defend our nation, our way of life and
the way we worship.  These are not rights that
were given to us by anyone other than the creator himself.

We will not give those rights up by anyone ­ We
retain those rights from the beginning of time
and we will cherish and protect them until the
end of time.  We are a fair, loving, kind and
respectful people.  We have a right to be on this
portion of mother earth.  We were told by our
elders that it is our duty to defend ourselves,
our families from wild beasts, by whatever
measures necessary, even if that wild beast be in
the form of a man or men.  We have done this in
the past and it is our responsibility to do it in
the future.  Sometimes the tools of defense are
harsh and sometimes it is merely the educating of an enemy.

In the circles of spirituality being a warrior
means defending things that are right, by taking
a proactive approach to opposition.

As I have said sometimes in the past, we aren't
bothered very often when we do everything that is
right, but when we start righting what is wrong,
and then we become targets of those who would wrong others.

Chief Leonard Crow Dog, who has served as a
spiritual advisor for the American Indian
Movement and myself, has consented to serve as
spiritual advisor for this effort to bring about my freedom.

The FBI has recently put out another letter
trying to stop your efforts and undermine the
accomplishments that have taken place in the last
few months. We must be ever vigilant and
responsive, to whatever action they take. And we
must never forget that what we do is not for
ourselves but for our people and those that come after us.

Again, I want to thank you from the very bottom
of my heart for remembering me in your prayers
and on this observance of my thirty-third year of imprisonment.

Doksha,
In the spirit of Crazy Horse and all those who
gave their lives trying to right what was wrong.

Leonard Peltier