[Ppnews] Judges Nabbed, Jailing Kids for Kickbacks

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Feb 12 11:40:32 EST 2009

http://www.counterpunch.org/lindorff02122009.html

February 12, 2009

Judges Nabbed, Jailing Kids for Kickbacks

By DAVE LINDORFF

When I was a journalism fellow at Columbia
University back in the late 1970s, one of the
guest speakers on our program’s schedule was then
SEC Chief of Enforcement (and former CIA chief
counsel and now Federal Judge) Stanley Sporkin. I
remember during a dinner we had with him, Sporkin
was asked how SEC investigators were able to find
financial scams.  (That was back when the SEC
actually did uncover financial scams.)

Sporkin said that people in the enforcement
division of the agency would actually sit around
and dream up scams. “Then when they figured one
out, they would go out and look for it, and
usually they’d find people doing it,” he said.

Now, a particularly ugly scam has just been
uncovered here in Pennsylvania. Up in
Wilkes-Barre, the old coal-mining part of the
state up in the northeast, two state judges have
been charged with sending hundreds of kids to two
private juvenile detention centers in return for
kickbacks from the two centers­kickbacks that
allegedly ran to over $2 million.

According to an Associated Press report, “Luzerne
County Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan
took $2.6 million in payoffs to put juvenile
offenders in lockups run by PA Child Care LLC and
a sister company, Western PA Child Care LLC. The
judges were charged on Jan. 26 and removed from
the bench by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court
shortly afterward.”

So far, the two companies and their owners have
not been charged with any offense, the report
says. Most of the children who were sent into
detention, often for months, had one thing in
common: they were poor and they were not
represented by lawyers. (Many were placed in
detention even against the recommendations of
their probation officers.)

The two judges are said to be ready to plead
guilty in return for sentences of not more than
seven years, which seems a tad on the light side
to me for two judges who so outrageously abused
the justice system by sending hundreds of kids
into detention for minor infractions, like making
a MySpace page to ridicule a school assistant
principal, or allegedly stealing coins from a
parked car. I’d lock these guys up for life­maybe
in a juvenile home where the kids could make them
pay. But aside from this particularly disgusting
example of judicial corruption, I’m struck by how
easy it was, apparently, for judges to get lured
into a financial scheme involving providing
bodies for a for-profit penal institution.

The nation, these days, is filled with for-profit
prisons, not just for holding kids, but for
holding adults. Motels have been bought up by
giant firms like Corrections Corporation of
America and turned into minimum security
prisons.   We live in a society where greed knows
no bounds, and where justice is just a word when
it comes to poor people without resources.

Based upon what Judge Sporkin says the
enforcement people at the SEC discovered­that if
you think of a scam, some criminal minds
certainly have already thought of it and are
doing it--I am willing to bet that if two judges
in Pennsylvania could be found to have come up
with a scam like this to earn themselves big
bucks by putting kids away in private
institutions for kickbacks, plenty of other
judges are doing the same thing, both with kids
and with adult prisoners. So here’s a pitch: If
any defense attorneys, probation officers or
other people think that they know of cases where
this is happening, I want to hear about it. Send your tips and contact info to:

ThisCan’tBeHappening, POB 846, Ambler, PA 19002

Dave Lindorff is a
Philadelphia-based  journalist. His latest book
is “The Case for Impeachment” (St. Martin’s
Press, 2006). His work is available at
<http://www.thiscantbehappening.net/>www.thiscantbehappening.net
<http://www.thiscantbehappening.net/>