[Ppnews] Indie Rock Band Joins in Fight to Save Troy Davis

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Feb 4 11:21:28 EST 2009

Indie Rock Band Joins in Fight to Save Troy Davis

Published: February 4, 2009

Indie rock group State Radio has joined forces with Amnesty
International USA (AIUSA) to produce a short, hard-hitting animated
Web video about the plight of death row inmate Troy Davis. Davis has
been on death row for 18 years and has received three stays of
execution, twice coming within 24 hours of his death.

The genesis of the Web video came when lead singer Chad Stokes, an
Amnesty International member, wrote a song about Davis called "State
of Georgia."  The band donated the song to be used in the video. The
video can be watched at
<http://www.amnestyusa.org/troydavis>www.amnestyusa.org/troydavis.

"Troy Davis' case is one example of a major malfunction within the
justice system in this country," said the band.  "We believe that
every person deserves the right to a fair trial, and because of
scenarios like this, we believe the death penalty should be abolished
nationwide."

"The band has been following the case for quite some time and even
organized their own rallies while touring through Georgia, so this
partnership made perfect sense," added Karen Scott, director of
AIUSA's Music for Human Rights program.

Davis was convicted in 1991 of killing Savannah police officer Mark
Allen MacPhail.  Since the launch of its February 2007 report, Where
Is the Justice for Me?, Amnesty International has campaigned
intensively for a new evidentiary hearing or trial, as well as
clemency for Davis, collecting hundreds of thousands of clemency
petition signatures and letters from prominent individuals around the
world.  Davis' case is now pending before the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.
via: Sis. Sankofa Uhuru
------------------------------------

The state of Georgia seems determined to kill Troy Davis. But your
thousands of calls, faxes and emails have sent a powerful message
that such an injustice is totally unacceptable. Georgia officials
need to keep hearing your voice: Ask Governor Perdue to stop the
execution of Troy Davis.

You've heard the facts already:

* 7 of the 9 witnesses have recanted their testimonies
* No murder weapon nor any physical evidence has been found to link
Troy to the crime
* One of the remaining two witnesses has even been implicated as the
real killer

Watch and share this new Troy Davis video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooPHNsFqb8M

A new animated video, featuring original music by State Radio,
illustrates the injustice of Troy Davis' case. Video produced by Citizen.

Despite this mounting evidence in favor of Troy's freedom, he
continues to wait on death row.

Watch and share the story of Troy Davis by forwarding this new video
to friends, family and supporters of human rights.

We are anxiously awaiting the court's response to the latest round of
arguments in Troy's case that could be handed down at any moment. So
the fate of Troy Davis is still very much in limbo. We need you to
continue rallying support by spreading this video of Troy's story any
way that you can.

Each time you forward this video to a new person, you help build a
stronger case for Troy and help tip the scale in favor of justice.

In Solidarity,

Sue Gunawardena-Vaughn
Director, Death Penalty Abolition Campaign
Amnesty International USA
==================================

You can also fax Governor Perdue at:
(404) 657-7332

Subject: Please Stop an Unjust Execution

I am writing to urge you to exercise leadership, as Governor of the
state of Georgia, to see to it that the death sentence of Troy Davis
is commuted, in order to ensure that Georgia does not put to death a
man who may well be innocent. I believe you have the power to do so,
and I believe you must use it in this case.

In this extraordinary case, where a man with a strong claim to
innocence may well be executed without a court ever holding a hearing
on his claims, I urge you to act in the interests of justice and
support clemency for Troy Davis. An execution in this case, without a
proper hearing on significant evidence of innocence, would severely
compromise the integrity of Georgia's justice system.

As you may know, Mr. Davis was convicted of the 1989 murder of police
officer Mark MacPhail, a conviction based solely on witness
testimony, and seven of the nine non-police witnesses have recanted
or contradicted their trial testimony. The courts, citing procedural
rules and time limits, have so far refused to hold an evidentiary
hearing to examine these witnesses. Executive clemency exists, and
executive action is required, to preserve justice when the
protections afforded by our appeals process fail to do so.

I strongly urge you to take such action now and ensure that the death
sentence of Troy Davis is commuted. Thank you for your attention to
this extremely serious matter.

Sincerely (Your Name)