[Ppnews] German Solidarity with Mumia

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Dec 21 12:07:11 EST 2009

 From - nattyreb at gmail.com
From: Sis. Fatirah!

Life Hanging by a Thread – actions for Mumia in Germany, December 2009
Around the sad and outrageous anniversary marking
28 years behind steelglass and concrete people
all over Germany to the streets for Mumia. The
encouraging news is that hundreds and thousands
of people are showing up for Mumia's support now
after years of a low activities.

Demonstrations with huge transparents took place
in Stuttgart, Oldenburg, Kiel, Muenchen,
Nuernberg, Hamburg, Heidelberg and Berlin.

During the weeks and months before new and old
groups against the death penalty and for Mumia's
freedom in many towns had organized evening
events with speakers who know the case well, most
of them with screeings of 'In Prison My Whole
Life" the 2007 documentary by British filmmaker
Marc Evans. People discussed the planned actions
for Mumia in case the death penalty should be
re-installed. Three days after the announcement
there will be a national day of action in many
towns – mobilizing to a national demonstration in Berlin.

The action in Heidelberg on December 12th was a
little different from all other demonstrations.
We had planned to stage a scene for a photo with
our town's most famous brands – the castle and
the old bridge. Millions of tourists, most of
them Americans, are visiting and photographing it every year.

The theme was "A Life Hanging by a Thread –
Against the Execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal" – and
so we covered the bridge towers and the handrail
with crime scene tape, decorated a big part of
the balustrade with our huge transparent, and
hung a life size doll in an orange jumpsuit down the bridge – by a thread.

After a while we saved the death row candidate by
pulling him up again – and then took the 20 meter
long transparent to a spontaneous demontration
through Europe's longes pedestrian mile,
Heidelberg's main road, 2 kilometers long and full of shoppers and visitors.

Although just about 85 people we made it to a
spectacular pic – not only for all tourists and
other passengers on Saturday but into our daily paper on Monday!

We are especially proud of the fact that a lot of
different groups took part in the action – from
Amnesty Interntional Students to the Red Help.

We will keep working together, going for a
city-council-statement in Heidelberg and for a
big demonstration on January 30th.

Heidelberger Buendnis für Mumia
Also see: indymedia Germany:
<http://de.indymedia.org/2009/12/268610.shtml>http://de.indymedia.org/2009/12/268610.shtml