[Ppnews] Cuban Five Statement on their Re-sentencing

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Dec 10 12:44:42 EST 2009

December 8, 2009

Today concluded the re-sentencing process for
Antonio Guerrero, Fernando González and Ramón
Labañino in the United States District Court for
the Southern District of Florida, ordered by the
Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals. Fernando
Gonzalez' original sentence (19 years) was
modified to 17 years plus 9 months in prison and
Ramón Labañino (1 life term plus 18 years)
reduced to 30 years in prison. Antonio Guerrero's
hearing was held on October 13, 2009. His
original sentence (1 life term plus 10 years) was
reduced to 21 years plus 10 months and 5 years of
supervised release. The sentences of Gerardo
Hernandez (2 life terms plus 15 years) and René
González (15 years), having been ratified by the
Court of Appeals, were excluded of this re-sentencing process.

Following is the statement issued by Antonio
Guerrero, Fernando Gonzalez and Ramon Labañino on December 8, 2009

Dear Sisters and Brothers from Cuba and from all over the World:

We have already served more than 11 years in
prison and there is still no justice at any level
of the American legal system.

Three of us have come to the Miami Court to be
re-sentenced due to an order from the Eleventh
Circuit Court of Appeals, which determined that
our sentences had been erroneously imposed.

Our brother Gerardo Hernandez, who is serving two
life terms plus 15 years, has been arbitrarily
excluded from this re-sentencing process. His
situation remains the principal injustice in our
case. The US Government is well aware of the
falseness of the accusations against him and the unfairness of his sentence.

This has been a complex process, difficult and
much discussed in every detail, in which we
participated along with our counsels.  We did not
give an inch in our principles, decorum and
honor, always defending our innocence and the dignity of our Homeland.

Just as it did at the moment of our arrest and at
other occasions during these long years, the US
Government proposes now that we collaborate to
obtain more benevolent sentences. Once again, we
have rejected such proposals, something that we
never will accept under any circumstances.

Present in the results of these re-sentencing
hearings are the work of the legal team and the
indestructible solidarity of all of you.

It is significant that the US Government, for the
first time in 11 years, was obliged to recognize
that we did not cause any damage to its national security.

Also, for the first time, the prosecutor publicly
recognized the existence of a strong
international movement in support of our
immediate freedom, a movement that affects the
image of the US judicial system in the eyes of the international community.

Once again the absolute political character of this process is confirmed.

We the Five are punished for accusations that
never have been proved. Although three of our
sentences were partially reduced, the injustice remains for all of us.

The Cuban-American terrorists continue to enjoy total impunity.

We reiterate: The Five are innocent!

We feel profoundly moved and grateful for the
permanent solidarity that you give us, so crucial
in this long battle for justice.

Together with you, we will continue until the
final victory, which only will be reached with
the return of the Five to our Homeland.

Antonio Guerrero
Fernando González
Ramón Labañino