[Ppnews] Letter from Lynne Stewart in a NYC jail

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Dec 7 00:16:55 EST 2009

I hope this letter will encourage many of you to
write to Lynne (address below).

Letter from Lynne Stewart

Dear Sisters and Brothers, Friends and Supporters:

Well the moment we all hoped would never come is
upon us. Good-bye to a good cup of coffee in the
morning, a soft chair, the hugs of grandchildren
and the smaller pleasures in life. I must say I
am being treated well and that is due to my
lawyer team and your overwhelming support.

While I have received “celebrity” treatment here
in MCC—high visibility—conditions for the other
women are deplorable. Medical care, food,
education, recreation are all at minimal levels.
If it weren’t for the unqualified bonds of
sisterhood and the commissary it would be even more dismal.

My fellow prisoners have supplied me with books
and crosswords, a warm (it is cold in here most
of the time) sweat shirt and pants, treats from
the commissary, and of course, jailhouse humor.
Most important many of them know of my work and
have a deep reservoir of can I say it? Respect.

I continue to both answer the questions put to me
by them, I also can’t resist commenting on the
T.V. news or what is happening on the floor—a
little LS politics always! (Smile) to open hearts and minds!
Liz Fink, my lawyer leader, believes I will be
here at MCC-NY for a while—perhaps a year before
being moved to prison. Being is jail is like
suddenly inhabiting a parallel universe but at
least I have the luxury of time to read! Tomorrow
I will get my commissary order which may include
an AM/FM Radio and be restored to WBAI and music (classical and jazz).

We are campaigning to get the bladder operation
(scheduled before I came in to MCC) to happen
here in New York City. Please be alert to the
website I case I need some outside support.

I want to say that the show of support outside
the Courthouse on Thursday as I was “transported”
is so cherished by me. The broad organizational
representation was breathtaking and the love and
politics expressed (the anger too) will keep me nourished through this.

Organize—Agitate, Agitate, Agitate! And write to
me and others locked down by the Evil Empire.
Love Struggle, Lynne Stewart

—lynnestewart.org, December 4, 2009

To write to Lynne Stewart:
Lynne Stewart