[Ppnews] Cuba's Alarcon - 40th Anniv Young Lords - Support the Cuban Five, Puerto Rican PPs

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Aug 26 17:00:26 EDT 2009

Head of Cuban Parliament Asks US Progressive
People to Support Cause of the Cuban Five
http://www.cubanews.ain.cu/2009/0826presidente_parlamento.htm

HAVANA, Cuba, Aug 26 (acn) Cuban Parliament
President Ricardo Alarcon sent a message asking
for support of the Cuba Five’s cause that was
read out in a meeting marking the 40th
anniversary of the Young Lords, a revolutionary
group organized in New York to demand social progress.

Cuban News Agency

The CubaDebate website reported that the ceremony
was held in the First Hispanic Methodist church
in the so-called city of skyscrapers, with the
participation of former members of the movement
and of the members of the US Congress Nydia
Velazquez and José Serrano, and state deputy Jose Rivera.

In his letter, Alarcon notes that back then (when
the organization emerged) it was neither easy to
stand for the Cuban Revolution nor to demand the
independence of Puerto Rico or the release of
five nationalist fighters from that country.

“I'm asking you to support a demand for the
release of Oscar Lopez Rivera, Carlos Alberto
Torres and Avelino González Claudio, the Puerto
Rican patriots,” wrote Alarcon and added “They
deserve to be free as much as Gerardo Hernandez,
Ramon Labañino, Antonio Guerrero, Fernando
González and Rene Gonzalez, the five Cuban
revolutionaries that have been unfairly punished in the US.”

“Let’s organize a strong and powerful movement
for the freedom of the Cuban Five and the Puerto
Rican patriots, with the energy and passion that
the Young Lords passed to us,” reads the message.

Complete Message

Brothers and sisters,

Hermanas y hermanos

I wish I could be there physically commemorating
the 40th anniversary of the Young Lords. Being
that impossible allow me to convey to all of you
my thoughts which is the only way for me to be
there joining you in this celebration with my heart and soul.

With the birth of the Young Lords the Sixties,
that beautiful revolt of a new generation seeking
a heaven of love, peace and solidarity on Earth,
enter the Latino community in the United States.
They were really young, some in their teens, but
they showed the way to many others with
passionate love for their homeland and their
community, with their generous dedication to the
struggle that took the lives of some who will live forever in our gratitude.

They are part of my personal history and I always
owe a lot to the Lords. In those days I also was
a young, the youngest Ambassador to the United
Nations. Representing Cuba, almost completely
isolated in those days, was a real challenge to
me, my wife, my daughter and mother-in-law. We
faced a lot of hostility, we felt harassed and
discriminated in our daily lives in Manhattan.
They – you know who they are – forced us to feel
as Puerto Ricans. And we are thankful for that.
We are proud to be boricuas from New York.

Defending the Cuban Revolution was not easy there
in those days. As it was not easy to demand the
independence of Puerto Rico and the liberation of
Oscar Collazo, Lolita Lebrón, Andrés Figueroa
Cordero, Irving Flores and Rafael Cancel Miranda,
the five Puerto Rican nationalist heroes whose
freedom we were able to win with our sustained efforts.

May I call upon you to rise in solidarity
demanding the release of Oscar López Rivera,
Carlos Alberto Torres and Avelino González
Claudio, Puerto Rican patriots, who deserve to be
free as Gerardo Hernandez Nordelo, Ramón Labañino
Salazar, Antonio Guerrero Rodríguez, Fernando
González Llort and René González Sehwerert, the
Five Cubans being unjustly punished there for
fighting US sponsored terrorism against Cuba.
Let’s build a strong and powerful movement for
the freedom of the Cuban Five and the Puerto
Rican patriots with the vigor and the passion that the Young Lords taught us.

Latin America and the Caribbean have entered a
new epoch in their history in which Cuba is not
alone any more. This is the result of many
sacrifices of our peoples who fought generation
after generation for freedom, independence and justice.

That epoch should bring for Puerto Rico the
realization of its sacred right to self-determination and independence.

We will be always united. It was José Marti who
anticipated the common destiny of the Antilles
“the sister islands that will succumb together or together will be saved”.

Long live the Young Lords.

¡Viva Puerto Rico Libre!
Hasta la Victoria Siempre.

Ricardo Alarcon