[Ppnews] Cuban 5 Art Exhibit Opens at La Peña Cultural Center

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Aug 13 18:00:59 EDT 2009

Cuban 5 Art Exhibit Opens at La Peña Cultural Center

By Riya Bhattacharjee
Thursday August 13, 2009
http://www.berkeleydailyplanet.com/issue/2009-08-13/article/33512?headline=Cuban-5-Art-Exhibit-Opens-at-La-Pe-a-Cultural-Center

The Cuban 5 have come to Berkeley­in spirit if not in person.

“From My Altitude,” a touring exhibit of 25
paintings by Antonio Guerrero, one of the five
men facing stiff sentences in U.S. prisons for
spying, opened at La Peña Cultural Center Aug. 6
and will continue through the end of the month.

Although hailed as heroes in their own country,
most Americans know little­if anything­about the
Cuban 5. The Cuban government asserts they were
gathering information to protect Cuba from
right-wing terrorists, not conspiring to commit a
crime against the United States, as alleged.

Guerrero, Gerardo Hernández, Ramón Labañino, René
González and Fernando González were arrested in
1998 in Miami and convicted three years later of
being unregistered foreign agents.

The Associated Press reported that three of them
were also found guilty of espionage for failed
efforts to get military secrets from the U.S.
Southern Command headquarters. The AP also
reported that Hernández was convicted of a
conspiracy to murder four Miami-based pilots who
died when their planes were shot down on Feb. 24,
1996, by a Cuban MiG in international waters off Cuba’s northern coast.

Facing sentences that span from 15 years to life,
all five have been working with their lawyers and
international human rights advocates to draw attention to their situation.

Hernández and René González have been involved in
lengthy visitation rights battles over the U.S.
government’s refusal, on at least nine occasions,
to grant visas to Hernández’ wife Adrianna Perez
and René González’ wife Olga Salanueva to visit their husbands.

Labañino and Guerrero have been serving life
sentences and Fernando González was sentenced to
19 years. A federal appeals court ruled their
sentences were too long last year and ordered new
sentences for all three. They are scheduled to be re-sentenced in October.

The paintings Guerrero produced in the isolation
of his cell in Florence Colorado Penitentiary
include portraits of the prisoners’ mothers,
wives and children, Fidel Castro, Che Guevara,
and familiar landscapes from Cuba.

“Even Nelson Mandela, who endured 27 years of
hard labor in prison on Robben Island under
apartheid South Africa, was still allowed to see
his wife,” said Alicia Jrapko, national
coordinator for the International Committee for
the Freedom of the Cuban 5, the event organizer.
“How is it that the U.S., which promotes itself
as the champion of human rights, can be more
punitive and cruel than apartheid South Africa
when it comes to visitation rights for Olga and Adrianna?”

Drawing comparisons between the problems that
existed in Cuba and the City of Richmond, a
sister city to Regla, Cuba, Richmond Mayor Gayle
McLaughlin stressed the importance of creating more awareness about the issue.

“The mainstream press has dissed Richmond in the
same way it has dissed Cuba,” said McLaughlin,
who will be leading a delegation to Regla in
November to meet with the families of the five
men. The Richmond-Regla Sister City Association
co-sponsored the exhibit at La Peña. “We know
that the way to overcome hardship is to link in
unity,” said McLaughlin, who last visited Cuba in
1986. “Richmond is making an effort to build a
sustainable city­empowerment is the way forward.
The Cuban people have made a revolution and are living it.”

McLaughlin’s efforts to pass a resolution in the
Richmond City Council calling for the freedom of
the Cuban 5 and their visitation rights were successful.

A five-minute video clip from the documentary
Against the Silence: The Family of the Five Speak
Out, by New York filmmakers Sally O'Brien and
Jennifer Wager, showed Adrianna recalling how the
news of her husband’s arrest changed the course of their marriage.

She talked about sporadic phone conversations
with Gerardo, during which only he was allowed to
call her for a few minutes from the prison. Most
of the five men’s children have grown up without
their fathers, and some of them have not seen each other in 11 years.

“I have traveled all over the world talking to
lawyers,” said Adrianna, who is trying to raise
awareness of the case. “Sadly, American people do not know.”

The International Committee is planning to hold a
series of gatherings this year featuring Nobel
laureates, artists, actors and activists who will
call on President Barack Obama to end the U.S.
blockade to Cuba and support the cause of freedom for the Cuban 5.

Local political analyst and author Michael
Parenti, who is a member of the International
Commission for the Rights of Family Visits,
denounced the American government’s harsh treatment toward the Cuban 5.

“Here are five exceptionally intelligent,
sensitive, admirable, dedicated, and
democratically minded men who committed no act of
espionage or sabotage against the U.S.
government,” Parenti said. “For their valiant
efforts against the terrorists they have been given draconian sentences.”

Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist Alice Walker also
spoke in support of the five men.

“What has happened to them is shameful,” Walker
told the Daily Planet before taking the podium.
“For those of us who believe our country is for
justice, it’s shameful. These men have left
behind their wives and their children. Their only
fault is trying to protect their country. The
least we can do in this country is to speak up
against the injustice and express our concern and
affection for these people in the prison.”

Walker, who lives in the Bay Area, has supported
the Cuban revolution since she was 15 years old.

“Injustice is the greatest foundation of hatred
and this is what we continue to create, and we do
it as if we don’t understand this,” Walker told
the audience. “We understand this, but we keep
harming people deliberately, making them suffer.
Our government does this, our country does this
over and over through the centuries. So what can
our future be if we mistreat people in this way?”

Walker said the painting she had been touched by
the most was the one Guerrero made of the cell door he saw every day.

She later read aloud from Letters of Love and
Hope, a book chronicling the correspondence
between the Cuban 5 and their families, for which she has written a prologue.

“Time is short,” Walker said. “Does it mean
anything to be an American if you can actually
send these men to dungeons, not let them see
their families, not let them embrace their
children, or their wives? ... I think of how much
I love the people that I love and how much I love
snuggling with them, how much I love cuddling,
and how much I love to feel them in the morning,
to feel their touch. To take this away from human
beings­just on a whim­is actually heartbreaking.”

“From My Altitude” will be exhibited at La Peña
Cultural Center, 3105 Shattuck Ave., through
August. For more information visit www.thecuban5.org or www.laPeña.org.