[Ppnews] Violence between Raza and African Prisoners at CA State Prison

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Aug 11 17:55:55 EDT 2009

http://uniondelbarrio.org/laverdad/

Statement From The Chicano Mexicano Prison Project
August 10, 2009

VIOLENCE BETWEEN RAZA AND AFRICAN PRISONERS AT CALIFORNIA STATE PRISON

Note: The Chicano Mexicano Prison Project (CMPP)
was established in 1993 by Unión del Barrio. For
close to 20 years the CMPP has been the most
active and consistent Mexican-Raza organization
doing work around the question of prisons and
their role in the oppression of poor and working
class communities. On June 28th of this year
(2009), the CMPP held its annual conference in
East Los Angeles. where one of the issues
discussed was the ongoing war between Mexican-Raza and African prisoners.

Once again, major violence between Raza and
African prisoners has erupted within the United
States Concentration Camp (Prison) System, this
time at Chino California State Prison. Beginning
at 8:20 PM, on Saturday evening (Aug. 8, 2009),
African and Raza (Latino) prisoners, in the most
brutal fashion, slashing, cutting, hitting each
other with anything that could get their hands
on, battled against each other for more than 11
hours. Over 200 hundred were hurt, several were
critically injured with severe head injuries or
stab wounds. Blood was spilled everyone. Many of
those involved will be scared and maimed for
life, both physically and mentally.

But this latest violence is nothing new. Nor was
it the worst. For years, not only in California,
but also throughout the United States, Raza and
African prisoners have been at each other
throats. Those of us who should know better –the
social activists and so-called educated– should
be clear about the root causes of this horrific
violence that continues, unabated, decade after
decade, and how it only serves to keep both
nations oppressed and colonized; and most
importantly, what we must do about it.

While some refused to see or accept the truth,
the reality is that the prison wars between Raza
and Africans are nothing but the old strategy of
divide and conquer, which the European (white)
colonialist-capitalist system has successfully
used against our people for more than 500 years.
The “hand of white supremacy” behind the recent
hostilities should be obvious to everyone.

It is no coincidence that so few white prisoners
were involved or hurt. Or, that not “one guard”
suffered even a scratch. That fact is, that the
racist prison system, which is responsible for
the torturous and inhumane treatment of Raza and
African prisoners was not the object of the
prisoners’ anger. As racist as some of the white
prisoners are (many belonging to groups such as
the Aryan Brotherhood, Hells Angels, Skin Heads
and Minutemen), they also were not the target of
the riot. In fact, our carnales and brothers (and
carnalas and sisters) in the prisons are so
confused and disoriented by the divide and
conquer tactics of the capitalists (from which
white power comes from), that they don’t even see
the prison system as their main enemy.

The constant blaming of Mexicans/Latinos for all
the problems facing the United States, branding
us “illegal aliens”, and the fact that even as
the “riot” at Chino was taking place, prison
officials and politicians were already blaming
“Latinos” as the cause of the violence, all form
part of the trickery called “divide and conquer”.

What we, Raza and Africans, and all oppressed
people (including poor whites) must understand,
it is that the “divide and conquer” strategy is
the foundation upon which colonialism-capitalism
rests. And, if we are serious about ending the
vicious violence among colonized and oppressed
(poor and working class) people, colonialism-capitalism must be destroyed.

It is in the question of the “destruction of
capitalism” in which we find so many otherwise
“educated” people acting dumb and stupid. It is
here where we find some people to be “utterly
lost” as to what causes violence and what is the
solution –as the answer is found with them
deciding on whether they want to keep their nice
cars, cushy jobs, vacations, and nice homes,
which capitalism provides, or do they destroy the
foundations of capitalism (racism, colonialism,
oppression, and destruction of our planet) and
thus risk losing the materialistic lifestyle that they enjoy so much.

All of us, living inside and outside the U.S.
Concentration Camp (Prison) System must realize
that the violence between colonized people
affects all of us, as prison wars spill out into
the streets, communities, and the schools. “Race”
violence occurs everyday within the United
States. Most of the victims are innocent, and
most are young people. Therefore, if we care
about our youth, and about peace and justice,
then we have to get involved in the struggle to end prison violence.

The CMPP calls on all of us to unite against
colonialism-capitalism and all its
manifestations. We must struggle for a
revolutionary change in society. If the CMPP has
learned anything during the last 20 years, is
that prisoners respect revolution. Only this type
of struggle can unite Africans and Mexicans-Raza,
and put an end to the antagonistic confrontations between our peoples.

El Pueblo Unido, Jamas Sera Vencido!
The People United, Will Never Be Defeated!
Hasta La Victoria –Venceremos!