[Ppnews] Tell Jerry Brown not to appeal prisoner releases!

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Aug 6 10:33:46 EDT 2009

FRIDAY, AUGUST 7th:
CALL JERRY BROWN AND TELL HIM TO DROP THE APPEAL!

Dear friends,

On Tuesday August 4th, a Federal three judge
panel issued a final historic ruling in the
California prison health care lawsuits.  The
panel ordered the state to release 44,000 people
in prison.  This decision is a huge opportunity
to improve prison health care, parole, sentencing
laws, prison construction, and re-entry
conditions and shift budget priorities to
education, health and safety net services. We
need to insure that this order is implemented so
we can begin reinvesting in our communities
during the enormous budget crisis.

  “Tough on crime” organizations are mobilizing
already to reverse this decision – so we need to
make ourselves heard loudly right away.

Please call and fax Attorney General Jerry Brown all day
Friday, August 7th
and demand that he not appeal the ruling.

Tell your friends, coworkers, and neighbors! We
need the calls and faxes to keep coming.  If you
want more information about the ruling and our
work to reduce the number of people in prison in
California, we want to work with you!

TO CALL:

916-322-3360 #7 for comments

Sample script:

I am calling to demand that Attorney General
Jerry Brown refuse to appeal the three-judge
ruling in the prison population lawsuit.  We need
to reinvest in our communities, and release people from prison.

TO FAX:
916-323-5341

Sample letter:

Dear Attorney General Jerry Brown:

I am writing to share my support for the
three-judge panel’s decision ordering California
to release 44,000 people in prison. This decision
is huge opportunity to solve some of the
interconnected problems we face:  prison health
care and conditions, parole, sentencing laws,
prison construction, and re-entry.  We also need
to make sure this order is implemented so we can
reinvest in our communities during the enormous
budget crisis.  We need to release the people and
the resources California is locking up.

Sincerely,
Name
Address

To learn more about the CURB Alliance and get
involved in our organizing, find us here:

Northern California: 510.444.0484

Southern California: 323.951.0436

<http://www.curbprisonspending.org/>www.curbprisonspending.org
Californians United for a Responsible Budget
(CURB) is a broad based alliance of over 40 organizations seeking to

CURB prison spending by reducing the number of
people in prison and the number of prisons in the state.