[Ppnews] Leonard Peltier - AIM for Freedom Campaign

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sun Apr 12 20:23:00 EDT 2009

Subject: AIM for FREEDOM Campaign
Sender: contact at whoisleonardpeltier.info

AIM for Freedom Campaign Bring Leonard home before his next birthday!

The Leonard Peltier Defense and Offense Committee
is presenting their campaign plans to our
supporters, friends and allies in the 33 year
movement to bring Leonard Peltier home. With
Leonard in our minds, hearts and spirit, we will
bring him home before his birthday on September
12th that is our goal and commitment, and how we
will do this is with your support.

The outline means nothing without each of you
rising to this call and putting your energy into
it. As members of the LP-DOC, we have made a
promise to Leonard that we will meet with Obama
to discuss his case before the 26th of June. If
this doesn't happen, then it will necessitate
moving to a more assertive level.

As a contingency, a LP-DOC planning meeting will
take place July 4-5, at Eagle Mountain in
Gardner, CO. A tentative outline of the meeting
will be presented at a later date, but keep your
calendars free for that date. These and other
events are being planned. Additional mid-range
plans will be released on or before June 26th.

The following outline: Stage 1
1)Presidential Meeting – Present Leonard's case
for executive consideration/intervention or
action in his transfer, medical needs, parole,
withheld FBI records, and clemency.
2)To be revealed during "Free Peltier program"
3)Visit your Congressperson while they are home on recess
4)World Prayer Day for Peltier (April 18th)
5)Oglala Commemoration & International Day of
Solidarity - If we have not received a response
from the White House for a meeting, then we
initiate Stage 2 at the Oglala Commemoration
event on June 26, we will send out a very special call to action.

Stage 2
1)LP-DOC planning meeting (Eagle Mountain)(7/4&5)
2)Special event – date & location TBA
3)Further actions TBA

Stage 3
1)Dec. 10th Rally – Human Rights Day – NYC, NY
2)Christmas Clemency Communications to D.C. We
want everyone to redirect their energies and
focus with this shift towards the revised sample
letters with a sense of urgency.

In the urgent spirit of this campaign, we will
begin directing our concerns to those with the
ability to influence change, namely, President
Obama and U.S. Attorney General, Eric Holder. (see form letters)

President Obama - Write a letter to Obama about
your feelings and outrage at Leonard's continued imprisonment.
The LP-DOC will be addressing the legal details
of his case with the White House.

The Honorable Barack H Obama President of The United States of America
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

Comments: 202-456-1111
White House Fax: 202-456-2461
TTY/TDD Comments: 202-456-6213

Attorney General - Encourage your church leaders
and members to write Holder, including any
humanitarian groups on their stationary. Using
the attached form letter. If you write your own,
address why Leonard is deserving of a transfer,
and why we bypassed normal procedures.

Leonard is medium security, and no response has
taken place by the BOP or their officials. The
BOP is well aware of the campaign to transfer
Leonard, but have not complied with its own
policy. We have been dealing with a bureaucracy
for several years; it is fair to say that we have
been patient and tolerant. The most important
thing for Leonard is getting transferred, so lets
make that happen before June 26th. So only write
the AG about Leonard's transfer in a non-combative or antagonistic manner.

U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20530-0001

Office of the Attorney General: 202-353-1555
Fax: fax:202-307-6777
AG's Email: AskDOJ at usdoj.gov

Important Note about US Mail - Mike Kuzma has
explained that postal letters will takes weeks to
arrive at their destination in DC, but faxes and
FedEx's would get there sooner.

Congressional Delegates - Begin contacting
certain congressional delegates while they are in
spring recess in their home states until April
19th. Schedule a meeting to talk with them about
Leonard's case. This is your opportunity to urge
them to take a position on Leonard's release.
Seize the opportunity to educate members of
Congress who may not know the specifics of the
case or even about Leonard Peltier. Meet with
those who are sitting on the fence. Others who
are long time supporters need to be asked to
become Leonard's champions in this important
year. You might want to frame your request for a
meeting with a phrase similar to "How may we work
together to seek justice for Native Americans?
How may I help you in your role as a leader?"
Then ASK – your representative, along with his
colleagues, to write a personal letter to
President Obama urging the immediate release of Leonard Peltier.

Talking points:
1. Leonard has served over 33 years in prison.
2. The government has conceded that it does not who shot the two agents.
3. The government is still fighting vigorously to
prevent the release of thousands and thousands of
pages of documents under FOIA - documents that
should have been turned over to defense attorneys years ago.
4. Leonard will turn 65 on September 12th and he is not in the best of health.
5. Leonard was brutally attacked on January 13,
2009 by two other inmates and prison officials
did nothing to prevent the attack from happening.

Tribal Council Resolutions (If tribal member)
Contact us to assist you in getting a resolution
passed by your tribal council.

Phone Actions Every Friday, call the White House for Leonard 202-456-1112
The average hold time has been 5-6 minutes. If we
are waiting 10-15, then we are building our
presence in the White House for Leonard. This is
necessary and must be maintained.

Call the Attorney General to support a transfer for Leonard. 202-353-1555
Follow the outline in the AG letter.

International Supporters Write letters to
President Obama, and urge your
government/parliament, etc., issue an official
position on Peltier's case and to bring Peltier
up to the state department and Obama. Also,
contact your U.N. representatives to consider a
resolution directed to President Obama to
carefully review the Peltier case, in regards to clemency.

Hillary R. Clinton
Secretary of State
U.S. Department of State
2201 C Street NW
Washington, DC 20520

The Stages - This outline and direction of this
plan is to help build a grassroots network to
mobilize supporters and organizations. We have 5
months from today so let's start moving a
mountain that has been in Leonard's path to freedom all these years.
We want to ask everyone to consider assisting us
with fund raising events, host our national
spokesperson to come to speak about Leonard, and
support our activities in Stage 2.
You can form a Branch Support Group in your area.
Our coordinators will help you get started and
share some thoughts and ideas about what you can
do. We need about 25 more in other states to have
one in each state. We will also need groups
throughout the world. Stage 1 is low intensity
activities while we will give Obama time to meet
with the LP-DOC, but we intend to uphold our
promise to Leonard to have him home by his birthday. We will not wait!

This time, the agents who have opposed Leonard's
bid for freedom will fail, because the lies will
not be covered up or twisted. They are afraid
Obama will do the right thing, so join us in
setting this prairie fire for Leonard for the
last time! He doesn't have the luxury of time, and we have none to waste.

Stage 2 will be released on June 26th, and we
will bring the attention of the world on
Peltier's case. Use this time to broaden your
network because after the 26th, we will need
everyone, and a very extensive network. Budgets
and proposals are being developed for stage 2,
along with numerous activities. Stage 3 is to
keep this momentum going if for some reason
Leonard isn't home by his birthday.

Don't anyone dare let their hearts hit the ground
if we have to work harder to get him out after
his birthday. The most powerful means of
accomplishing our goal is to know in your heart
that this will happen. And if we get some good
news, transfer or parole, don't let up. Instead,
increase your efforts and never stop believing
you will be a part of something wonderful and honorable.

AIM for FREEDOM!!!! IN THE SPIRIT OF CRAZY HORSE
Leonard Peltier Defense Offense Committee
PO Box 7488
Fargo, ND 58106
Phone: 701/235-2206
Fax: 701/235-5045
E-mail: contact at whoisleonardpeltier.info
http://www.whoisleonardpeltier.info

Form Letter

Your name Address City, State, Zip Code

The Honorable Barack H Obama President of The United States of America
The White House 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

re: Leonard Peltier USP #89637-132

DATE

Dear President Obama:

This letter is among millions that have been
written to US presidents on behalf of Leonard
Peltier in the past 33 years of his
incarceration. Foreign heads of state and world
religious leaders, members of Congress and even a
federal judge who was hamstrung by legal
precedents have asked for clemency in Peltiers case.

The deaths of the agents is a horrible tragedy
for their families, but a even greater tragedy is
being done to Mr. Peltier, who has been nominated
for the Nobel prize five times for his
humanitarian works from behind prison walls.

As an American citizen, my conscience has been
haunted by the inability of previous
administrations to do the right thing and let
Peltier go home. When I look at the trial as a
whole, and more shocking information about FBI
and prosecutorial misconduct in his case.

What happened Mr. President that an American, an
American Indian at that, can languish in a
federal prison for so long without a real look at
what happened to him? I have been aware that some
federal agents have been actively undermining Mr.
Peltiers efforts for years. They have lied about
the evidence and testimony, and ignore evidence
to the contrary in their statements to keep Mr. Peltier imprisoned.

Attorney General Janet Reno reprimanded FBI
Director Freeh for voicing his complaint
publicly. The Leonard Peltier Defense Offense
Committee will be issuing a challenge to those
interested agents to engage in a public debate,
moderated by respected Journalists and Jurists.

It is expected the agents will not be able to
prove anything. Mr. President, we ask that you
please take a very detail review of Mr. Peltier's
cases, including the withheld FBI records
supposedly classified for National security
reasons, inquire about his transfer to a medium
security facility that meets his classification, and grant clemency.

Mr. Peltier also is eligible for a parole under a
30-year law, but has not been granted this
according to 28 U.S.C., section 4206(d).

When you were elected to the Oval Office,
millions of us felt we were granted a fresh of
breath air, and through this we hope that you
will grant Mr. Peltier a breath of fresh free air.

I'm sure you will see the world rejoice.

Sincerely,

Your name
Address City, State, Zip Code

************************

The Honorable Eric Holder
Office of the Attorney General
U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20530-0001

Date

Re: Leonard Peltier #89637-132

Dear Mr. Holder:

I am writing in support of a transfer for Mr.
Leonard Peltier, who is currently incarcerated at USP Lewisburg.

Last August 20, Mr. Peltier submitted a request
with his Case Manager, to be transferred to
Oxford FCI, a medium security facility. Mr.
Peltier has 16 points making him eligible for
Oxford according to Bureau of Prisons policy. He
has served 33 years on two life sentences and is
64 years old, with health problems.

We have written letters to the DSCC and the
Director of the BOP, and no action more than
acknowledging receipt of our letter has been taken.

Therefore, we are writing to you directly to
bring about Mr. Peltier's transfer.

We would appreciate your prompt attention on his behalf.
Thank you.

Sincerely,

Your Name

[]