[Ppnews] Is Khalid Sheikh Mohammed Running the 9/11 Trials?

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Sep 29 12:30:51 EDT 2008

http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington09292008.html

September 29, 2008

"Torture is at the Very Center of the Case"

Is Khalid Sheikh Mohammed Running the 9/11 Trials?

By ANDY WORTHINGTON

It could all have been so different. Between
September 2002 and April 2003, the five
defendants in the forthcoming
<http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington02122008.html>9/11
trial at Guantánamo -- Khalid Sheikh Mohammed,
Ramzi bin al-Shibh, Mustafa al-Hawsawi, Ali Abdul
Aziz Ali (aka Ammar al-Baluchi) and Walid bin
Attash -- were seized and transferred to secret
CIA prisons, where they were subjected to an
array of “enhanced interrogation techniques”
including
<http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington02072008.html>waterboarding.
And yet they could, instead, have been questioned
by skilled US interrogators for whom torture
remains abhorrent, illegal and counter-productive.

These experts would, no doubt, have spent years
building up cases against Mohammed and his
alleged accomplices and encouraging them to talk
through tried and tested methods. After 9/11,
however, the White House and the Pentagon decided
that skilled interrogation was somehow soft, and
that al-Qaeda operatives were so tough that they
had been trained to resist all types of
traditional interrogation. But as the New
Yorker’s Jane Mayer explained in an
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2007/08/10/jane-mayer-on-the-cias-black-sites/>article
last summer, a former CIA officer with knowledge
of the techniques used on the al-Qaeda suspects
explained, “A lot of them want to talk. Their egos are unimaginable.”

If the same techniques used before 9/11 had been
applied after the attacks, it’s probable that by
now Mohammed and his co-defendants would have
been tried in a US federal court, and the
reputation of the United States -- as a country
that does not torture, rather than one with a
lying administration that claims it does not
torture because it has cynically redefined what
torture means -- would still be intact. A case in
point, completely overlooked in the
administration’s defense of its “robust” new
approach, is Ramzi Yousef -- Khalid Sheikh
Mohammed’s nephew, and the terrorist behind the
first attempt to blow up the World Trade Center
in 1993 -- who, as Mayer has explained, “gave a
voluminous confession after being read his
Miranda rights,” following his capture and
rendition to the US court system in 1995.

Instead of being condemned as a mass-murdering
criminal, however, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed -- a
man with an “unimaginable” ego, and one,
moreover, at the apex of a system of mass
imprisonment in which thousands of innocent men
and insignificant Taliban foot soldiers have been
brutalized, held without charge or trial and
deprived of the protections of the Geneva
Conventions -- has been allowed to portray
himself as a “warrior” in an epic “Clash of Civilizations.”

In his tribunal at Guantánamo last year, Mohammed
compared himself to George Washington fighting
the British, and last week he spent several days
in a courtroom at Guantánamo, unrelated to the US
courts or the US military’s own judicial
processes, in which he was free to bait the
judge, Marine Col. Ralph Kohlmann, to play to the
world’s media, and to make strategic use of his
torture at US hands to score points against the system set up to try him.

Day One

The action unfolded slowly. At 9 am on Monday,
four of the co-defendants gathered in the
courtroom for hearings on a series of pre-trial
motions, but one -- Ramzi bin al-Shibh -- was
nowhere to be seen. Doubts had already been
raised about the mental health of the Yemeni, and
his lawyers -- whom he is trying to dismiss, so
that he can represent himself, like Mohammed and
some of his other co-defendants -- were seeking
permission to appoint clinical and forensic
psychologists to examine him. His lead attorney,
Navy Cmdr. Suzanne Lachelier, stated that the
defense team has doubts about his mental health,
and noted that his medications include “a
psychotropic drug prescribed to persons with
schizophrenia.” As a report by the American Civil
Liberties Union (ACLU) explained, Lachelier
“referred to pleadings filed by the bin al-Shibh
team that contained considerable additional
evidence, which she could not discuss in court,
which bolstered the claim that he was mentally
ill and might not be competent to stand trial or
able to participate in his own defense.”

In the end, the rest of the day’s planned
discussions were derailed, as the authorities
tried to work out what to do about bin al-Shibh’s
refusal to appear. Although the military could
have brought him to the courtroom against his
will, they refused to do so without a formal
order from Kohlmann. In the first surreal touch
of the hearings, protracted discussions between
Kohlmann and the prosecution were only halted
when, as the Washington Post described it,
Mohammed “raised his hand and offered to meet
with bin al-Shibh in an effort to persuade him to
come to court,” and was backed up by his
co-defendants. Bin Attash explained, “I agree
with my brother Sheikh Mohammed. We don't have to
do any fight with Mr. Ramzi. He doesn't trust
anyone in government, but he does trust us. With
what has happened to us in this situation -- we
have all lost faith. But we have faith in each
other.” Kohlmann refused to allow a meeting, but
he did allow the co-defendants to write letters
to bin al-Shibh, which they all signed.

The judge also stated that bin al-Shibh should be
given another opportunity to meet with his
lawyers, but he refused to let Cmdr. Lachelier
meet him in his cell, in the prison’s secretive
Camp 7, and explained that he would, instead,
have to be “transported, hooded and shackled, in
a van with blacked-out windows” to a meeting
place. Pointing out that this might only add to
her client’s reluctance to meet, Lachelier
offered to be hooded herself and taken to Camp 7,
but Kohlmann refused. As Denny LeBoeuf of the
ACLU explained, it was “a remarkable suggestion
that highlights yet again the absurdity of Guantánamo's secrecy regime.”

Day Two

As a bizarre spectacle, however, the hearings
only really came to life on Tuesday, after bin
al-Shibh had responded to the entreaties of his
co-defendants, and all five men were in court
together for the first time since their
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2008/06/06/in-a-legal-otherworld-911-trial-defendants-cry-torture-at-guantanamo/>arraignment
in June. On that occasion, Mohammed’s willingness
to be a martyr had dominated the proceedings, but
nearly four months later it was apparent that he
had decided to take on the US government through
the weaknesses in its novel judicial system.

In the voir dire process, in which, as Carol
Rosenberg explained in the Miami Herald, “lawyers
question a judge on his potential bias at trial,”
Mohammed was allowed to grill Kohlmann about his
background. “For a while,” as the Los Angeles
Times noted, he “turned the tables on his captors
and made the military judge justify his competency to preside over the trial.”

“Glaring and poking an occasional finger in the
air,” Mohammed told Kohlmann, “The government
considers all of us fanatical extremists,” and
asked, “How can you, as an officer of the US
Marine Corps, stand over me in judgment?”
Insisting that he was attempting to work out if
Kohlmann was a religious extremist, he continued:
“[President] Bush said this is a crusader war and
Osama bin Laden said this is a holy war against
the crusades. If you were part of Jerry Falwell
or Pat Robertson's group, then you would not be impartial.'”

For his part, Kohlmann attempted to maintain his
dignity, explaining that he was “currently
unaffiliated with a church ‘because I've moved so
often.’” He added that he had previously
worshiped at “various Lutheran churches and
Episcopal churches,” and the sub-text -- that he
was no religious fanatic -- was clear. It was at
this point that bin al-Shibh spoke out
unexpectedly. “As far as I know your last name is
a Jewish name, not a Christian name,” he said,
prompting a terse response. “With regard to your
observation about my heritage and background,”
Kohlmann said, “it's actually inaccurate. And I'll leave it at that.”

Mohammed proceeded to ask Kohlmann about his
views on torture. As part of the background
materials supplied to him -- or made available to
the civilian lawyers who are voluntarily
assisting him in his defense -- he referred to an
ethics seminar that Kohlmann had conducted at his
daughter's high school in 2005, in which the
students had been asked to consider their
Based on a fictional proposition that a bomb is
about to go off, and an unwilling captive knows
its location but is unwilling to disclose the
information, the scenario is widely used by
proponents of “enhanced interrogation techniques”
to justify the use of torture.

Kohlmann explained that he encouraged the debate
as part of “a complex question that might be
dealt with differently if someone were
specifically trying to save the nation or just
looking at it from an ethical sense or just
looking at it from a legal sense,” and dismissed
a combative question from Mohammed -- “It seems
that you are supportive of the use of torture for
national security?” -- by stating, “I have no idea where that would come from.”

As Mohammed continued questioning Kohlmann, in
what the Washington Post described as a
“sometimes rambling disquisition,” he was
“frequently unsatisfied,” as Josh Meyer described
it in the Los Angeles Times, “and hit Kohlmann
with a barrage of follow-up questions and
sarcastic political commentary.” Kohlmann put up
with this for some time, but when he was asked if
he read books by Billy Graham or Pat Buchanan,
and what movies he watched, he said that the
questions seemed designed “to develop a
personality profile,” and stated, “I decline to
provide you with my reading list or my movie
list.” Finally, after he had twice scolded
Mohammed for failing to stick to the topic in
hand, and Mohammed muttered aloud, “You reject to
answer,” Kohlmann lost his patience. “You are not
going to have free rein,” he exclaimed. “I will
not allow you to act in a manner that is
disrespectful to this court. Do you understand me clearly?”

Nevertheless, it was Mohammed’s day. Although
Ramzi bin al-Shibh piped up at one point,
declaring, “I am not mentally incompetent,” but
haranguing Cmdr. Lachelier in a manner that did
not necessarily justify his own appraisal of his
mental state, the rest of the co-defendants
seemed content to allow Mohammed to speak for
them. Even the defense lawyers’ long list of
relevant complaints, which, they insisted, would
make it impossible for the men to receive a fair
trial, were overshadowed by Mohammed’s
grandstanding. At various points throughout the
day, as the Los Angeles Times put it, they
expressed concerns that “lawyer-client
conversations may not be confidential,”
complained that they “cannot talk to friends and
family of the accused as part of their defense
preparation without prosecutors finding out about
it, which has scared off potential witnesses on
their behalf,” and described the court
translators as incompetent, which was proving to
be “a severe hindrance for defendants who don't speak English.”

Explaining how bad the situation was, Major Jon
Jackson, the lawyer for Mustafa al-Hawsawi, said
at the end of the day that his client “doesn't
understand about a quarter of the court
proceedings because of incomprehensible
interpretation.” But although he and other
lawyers “asked for the transcripts of each day's
proceedings to be made available in English and
Arabic so that they can go over each day's events
with their clients and make corrections for the
record,” as the ACLU explained, the government
“strenuously opposed the request,” stating that
it was “enough for the defendants to be present
and observe the proceedings.” This prompted Major
Jackson to complain, “I could not believe my
government would not provide transcripts in the
native language of the accused that it wants to put to death.”

While a few commentators noticed these exchanges,
however, most eyes were on Mohammed. As the
Associated Press pointed out, “During breaks,
Mohammed pivoted in his seat at his defense table
and chatted amiably in Arabic with his
co-defendants, who sat at their own tables
arrayed behind him -- despite complaints that he
used a similar opportunity in June to pressure
the others to reject their Pentagon-appointed defense lawyers.”

Day Three

On the third and final day of this round of
pre-trial hearings, as the Washington Post put
it, “The loquacious Mohammed, as he does on most
days, took the lead in speaking for the other
four defendants.” Following up on claims made the
previous day that Kohlmann’s background as a
Marine prevented him from being impartial, he
stated, “I believe that we are part of an
inquisition,” adding that Kohlmann was an officer
in the US military, “which is “currently
occupying our Muslim holy lands. As I address the
court now, your government is killing Muslims in
Afghanistan and Iraq.” On another occasion, he
said, “I don’t believe you respect Muslims. We
are your enemy,” adding, with a sly broadside
about how he and his co-defendants had been
treated for years, “If this is the case, you
could have killed us years ago instead of holding us for years under torture.”

The thrust of Mohammed’s remarks, however,
focused on an admission by Kohlmann that he was
due to retire in April. Asking the judge to
disqualify himself from the case, he said, “It is
clear you are retiring before [the trial] is
completed,” and argued that, as a result, he
“might inappropriately rush the proceedings.”
Kohlmann replied that Mohammed's claims were
“completely wrong,” and “briskly rejected each
argument offered as a basis for
disqualification,” but the announcement of his
departure was not reassuring. Although Kohlmann
is the chief judge at the Commissions, and
selected himself for the 9/11 trial, defense
lawyers noted that, “with unused leave time,” he
“could be gone as early as mid-January.” And
that, as bin Attash’s lawyer, Lt. Cmdr. James
Hatcher explained, would mean that “a new round
of pretrial hearings would be required and the
new judge would be forced to reexamine earlier
rulings.” “It will,” he said, “make an already complex case even more complex.”

With Mohammed’s attention-grabbing antics out of
the way, the rest of the day’s proceedings
focused on “defense motions seeking more
resources for the defendants and easier access to
them for their attorneys, both by person and by
phone.” Explaining that the prosecution was
seeking “to improve access while maintaining
security,” lead prosecutor Col. Robert Swann
explained, as the Associated Press put it, that
the government was “preparing to issue each
defendant a laptop computer loaded with 40,782
pages of documents and more than 50 videos.” He
added that “they could not safely be provided
with requested printers or other equipment with
electrical cords, presumably because of the
danger of suicide.” It transpired, after Amanda
Lee, one of Ali Abdul Aziz Ali’s attorneys, asked
for the men to have “unfettered access to news
articles so that they can be prepared to
challenge expert witnesses for the prosecution,”
that they currently only receive a redacted
version of USA Today, and that their lawyers are
prohibited from giving them other material when they meet them.

Away from Mohammed and the limelight, it is
issues like these -- and the other problems
raised by the defense lawyers on Tuesday -- that
will be fought over until the next time the five
men appear in a courtroom. As Major Jackson
explained, “This is going to be a long, long,
long battle before these accused get sentenced.”
And while Lt. Cmdr. Brian Mizer, Ali Abdul Aziz
Ali’s military lawyer, closed the proceedings by
promising, “Torture is at issue in this case. It
is going to be at the very center of this case,”
my feeling is that it is, above all, Khalid
Sheikh Mohammed who will remain at the center of
the case, doing all he can to derail a system
that is an inadequate substitute for a real trial.

Andy Worthington is a British historian, and the
author of
'<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0745326641/counterpunchmaga>The
Guantánamo Files: The Stories of the 774
Detainees in America's Illegal Prison' (published
by Pluto Press). Visit his website at:
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/>www.andyworthington.co.uk

He can be reached at:
<mailto:andy at andyworthington.co.uk>andy at andyworthington.co.uk