[Ppnews] A Death Row visit with Troy Davis

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Sep 22 13:48:22 EDT 2008

Patrick Dyer is a Campaign to End the Death
Penalty (CEDP) activist  and teaches at Kennesaw
State University in Georgia.  When the CEDP send
Illinois’ first exonerated prisoner to Atlanta
for Troy’s demonstration on Sept 11th, Patrick
arranged to have Darby come and speak to students
at his University.  Darby, as always, was pointed
and powerful with his remarks and urged students
to get involved to end the death penalty.

     Yesterday Patrick was able to visit Troy
Davis and he gives tells us of this visit
below.  Please feel free to post this far and
wide — it is both heartfelt and somber.

Following is the school newspapers report of Darby’s visit to the University.

Marlene

Patrick can be reached at: patrickdyer3 at gmail.com

A Death Row visit with Troy A. Davis

Sunday September 21, 2008
By Patrick Dyer

Today I visited Troy Anthony Davis on Georgia's
death row, a little over 48 hours before the
state plans to put him to death for a crime he
didn't commit. As I traveled the highway, through
the red clay and green pine trees of Georgia this
mild autumn Sunday morning listening to Bob
Marley, I pondered what it might be like as an
innocent man facing an execution in two days.
Soon enough I arrived at the front wall of the
Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison,
located in Butts County, GA. The scenery just
inside the front gate on Prison Boulevard, with
pond, trees, flowers, and chirping birds belies
the heinousness of what lies at the end of the
road - a massive penitentiary housing the state's
death chamber for it's ritual execution of prisoners.

After parking, I stood outside the entrance area
with a small group of people who were waiting to
visit other prisoners. One of those waiting
referred me to the sign-in sheet, then added,
"they'll get you when they feel like it". While I
waited for the next 20 minutes I conversed with
the group awaiting entrance, all of them upset
and shocked that Troy was denied clemency. Biding
my time, I stared at the words "wisdom",
"justice", and "moderation" etched on Georgia's state seal.

One of the first couple of his visitors to
arrive, I met Troy Davis for the first time.
Thanks to the relentless campaign waged by Troy,
his family, and supporters, the name Troy Davis
is known around the planet. Yet the person I met
was humble and down-to-earth, quick to begin
talking about the help that other death row
prisoners need. Troy struck me immediately as a
warm and compassionate person. He spent almost as
much time talking about the injustice of other
cases as he did about his own, repeatedly saying
"this is much larger than Troy Davis."

Troy told me that he wanted me to tell people
that it's time to say "enough is enough!" and to
"demand a complete change in the system". We
talked about all the support he has on the
outside, with people around the world fighting
for his life. Troy then spent time talking about
some of the many injustices of his case, a legal
lynching to be sure. He said that he, like so
many others stuck on death row, were legally
incapacitated by "procedural defaults" from their
attorneys, many of them the fault of the Georgia
Resource Center. Once an attorney with his legal
team returned to court after lunch so intoxicated
that her eyes were bloodshot and she reeked of alcohol.

At his habeas hearing held in a prison
shack-turned-into-a-courtroom just off death row,
Troy anxiously awaited the arrival of his family,
who had spent their own money to rent vans to
transport witnesses from Savannah. But as Troy
walked into the shack-courtroom, his attorney was
saying that neither his family nor his witnesses
would be allowed to appear, given that it was
"too expensive" to transport the witnesses.

By the time effective legal counsel got on board
with his defense, Troy's case was too far gone.
In fact, one attorney with his private
Washington, DC law firm told him that had they
gotten the case five years earlier, Troy would be home by now.

"And even if none of those witnesses recanted",
Troy emphasized with his southern drawl as he
leaned closer to me, "my fingerprints still don't match".

Troy also gave his analysis of why the Parole
Board refused to grant clemency. Given that the
board, appointed by Gov. Sonny Perdue, is stacked
with "ex"-law enforcement and prosecution types,
it's no surprise. "The police and prosecution
tactics used in my case are the same ones they
used and that are used all over. If they stop my
execution because of the police interrogation
methods and prosecutor misconduct, it exposes their entire system."

Over the course of the next hour, Troy's mother,
sisters, brother, niece, nephew, and numerous
supporters joined us in the caged visiting room.
The six hour visitation flew by with a positive
atmosphere of love and support. Most of the time
was spent laughing, joking, and telling family
stories that included childhood nicknames,
teenage dating escapades, high school prom dates, and more.

Eventually visiting hours wound down, and Troy
was handcuffed then taken inside the entrance to
one of the prison corridors, where we were
allowed to join him for photographs. As a fellow
prisoner snapped pictures, Troy arranged
different combinations of his family and
supporters for each picture, as prison guards observed from the perimeter.

When the photo session ended, it was time for us
to hug Troy goodbye. In a stirring and
emotion-packed series of hugs, we all took turns
saying goodbye. Two prisoners began printing the
pictures as guards led Troy away. "Troy is such a
good guy" one of them commented while we waited.
Then suddenly someone yelled, "He's waving", and
family members all strained to look through the
prison bars down the long hallway to death row,
seeing Troy's smiling face as his handcuffed hands waved goodbye.

Official Student Newspaper of Kennesaw State University
Written by Dominique Richmond, Staff Writer

Tuesday, 16 September 2008

With the execution date for Troy Davis nearing,
Darby Tillis made a guest appearance at KSU. He
told his story of how he was exonerated in 1987
after spending nine years on death row, to a room
full of First-Year Seminar students.

Tillis rode a Greyhound bus for 21 hours from
Chicago in order to support the ‘Rally to Save
Troy Davis’ at the Georgia State Capital,
sponsored by Amnesty International and the NAACP,
held on Sept. 11. Davis is a man on Georgia’s
death row who was given an execution date of Sept. 23.

After serving two years, Tillis was convicted on
Oct. 15, 1979 of murdering two men. Although
there was never any evidence that linked him to
those killings, he was imprisoned, tried and
sentenced to death. It took not one, but five
trials to set him free. Three of the trials ended
in a hung jury, one was guilty and the last one set him free.

A self-proclaimed "urban guerilla street
preacher," Tillis sang and smiled as he told the
students how he was just "a number on a legal
brief." He talked about the joy of living and how
he wants to build a better system to eliminate
the killings of death row inmates. "Realize that
we have a system that is far from good and go
after change and make changes," said Tillis.

When asked what would he like the students to
learn from his lecture, his response was, "look
deep into the justice system; look at the flaws.
The death penalty makes no purpose; take a stand and make it better."

When asked what would he like the students to
learn from his lecture, his response was, "look
deep into the justice system; look at the flaws.
The death penalty makes no purpose; take a stand and make it better."

Patrick Dyer, professor of the 1101 class, said,
"I hope that the students who attended will think
about the role of capital punishment in society,
and critically examine this practice."

Tillis was the first to be exonerated; since then
at least 129 innocent people have walked off of death row.

According to Dyer, this topic relates to one of
KSU 1101’s major learning objectives--that of
developing the foundations for global learning.
As part of global learning, the class engages in
educational discussion on ethics,
leaders hip, citizenship, global perspectives,
diversity, inclusiveness and critical thinking.

Dyer said, "Since Tillis had a couple of hours
free Thursday morning, we scrambled to arrange for him to speak at KSU."

Immediately after his talk, Tillis was shuttled
downtown to be part of a contingent that hand
delivered over 23,000 petition signatures to the
Board of Pardons and Parole, asking that Troy Davis not be executed.