[Ppnews] Statement from Dr. Al-Arian to Supporters

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Sep 9 18:52:42 EDT 2008

Statement from Dr. Al-Arian to Supporters
Expresses gratitude for support; "Freedom restores dignity and humanity"

<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001EGoB16YfowP-iqGtW2UN0Ay-L-XN0Rhlc_NZTkX_Kggc1wpQQrdVMpUl1c29e6CHuUUBV9FXVZpTwsh8ooAhoTYxEXSASoHAsR-lya9ZZQ91mulrAaiVjg==>www.FreeSamiNow.com

Northern Virginia - September 9, 2008 - Dr. Sami Al-Arian has given
his first public statement since being released on bond, thanking his
supporters for everything they have done, and calling on them to keep
bearing witness to justice all over the world.

[Statement from Dr. Al-Arian:]

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." These words, uttered by
Thomas Jefferson more than two centuries ago, ring true today. I am
very grateful to those who have been steadfast and vigilant in their
defense of freedom, justice, and truth throughout my struggle during
the past six years. Indeed, freedom restores the most precious
qualities of life, dignity, and humanity.
        My thanks go to those in all corners of the globe who have
campaigned for my case and for other prisoners of conscience. It
takes courage and principle to stand up for justice at a time when
fear often trumps rationality and fairness.
I am also grateful that my release came during a month of
spirituality and reflection, one that I am blessed to spend with my
family, while still remembering those who are less fortunate and
deprived of the most important things in life: freedom, family, and peace.
        The work of my attorneys, Professor Jonathan Turley, Will
Olson, and P.J. Meitl, has been outstanding. I am deeply grateful for
their efforts in reuniting me with my family after so many years.
        Finally, to my friends, supporters, and people of conscience,
although I have been released, my situation is not yet over. My
family and I appreciate that you keep us in your thoughts and
prayers. May God bestow His blessings, mercy, and grace on all those
who struggle for justice and freedom, and on those who stand up for
and speak out on their behalf.

Write to Dr. Al-Arian!

Personal letters are always an important source of inspiration for
Dr. Al-Arian to keep persevering. To send a letter, simply email
<mailto:tampabayjustice at yahoo.com>tampabayjustice at yahoo.com and your
message will be passed along to him. Remember, even a short message
of encouragement means a lot.

Again, to all of you who have shown your support, you have our
heartfelt gratitude.

http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/hotline/2008/09/al-arian-case-is-emblematic-of-post-911.php
[]

[]
  Tuesday, September 09, 2008
[]

[]

Al-Arian case is emblematic of post-9/11 political prosecutions under Bush
6:02 PM ET

<http://www.mpac.org/about/staff-board/safiya-ghori.php>Safiya
Ghori-Ahmad [Government Relations Director,
<http://www.mpac.org/>Muslim Public Affairs Council]: "For many
American Muslims, the
<http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/paperchase/2008/09/us-releases-ex-professor-al-arian-after.php>case
of Sami Al-Arian has become the most prominent illustration of the
Bush administration's post-9/11 political prosecutions.

Sami Al-Arian, a former University of Florida professor, was arrested
in 2003 on charges of funding terrorism. In December 2005, the jury
acquitted him of 8 of the 17charges brought against him and was hung
on the remaining charges. In April 2006, Dr. Al-Arian pleaded guilty
to a single non-terrorism related count of conspiracy and agreed to
be deported.

A central aspect of the plea agreement was an understanding that Dr.
Al-Arian would not be subject to further prosecution or called to
cooperate with the government on any matter. The plea agreement
signed with Florida prosecutors explicitly protected him from
cooperating in any additional cases.

Despite Dr. Al-Arian's immunity, federal prosecutors in Virginia
sought his testimony for a grand jury investigation and Al-Arian
refused to testify. In April 2008, Dr. Al-Arian's sentence ended and
while being held in an ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement)
jail, immigration authorities were making preparations for his deportation.

Unfortunately, the Justice Department has recently brought new
charges of criminal contempt against Dr. Al-Arian in order to bring
him before a grand jury investigating other Muslim organizations.
Earlier this week, Dr. Al-Arian was released on bail and will be
restricted to home detention while he awaits trial for contempt of court.

With no maximum penalty for criminal contempt, Dr. Al-Arian now hangs
in legal purgatory and the Justice Department's witch-hunt continues."

Opinions expressed in JURIST's Hotline are the sole responsibility of
their authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of JURIST's
editors, staff, or the University of Pittsburgh.