[Ppnews] Rendered to Egypt for Torture

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Sep 4 11:18:17 EDT 2008

http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington09042008.html

September 4, 2008

Mohammed Saad Iqbal Madni is Released from Guantánamo

Rendered to Egypt for Torture

By ANDY WORTHINGTON

News that three more prisoners have been released
from Guantánamo is cause for celebration, as all
three men should never have been held in the
first place. In a report to follow, I’ll look at
the stories of the two Afghans released -- one a
simple farmer, the other a juvenile at the time
he was seized -- but for now I’m going to focus
on the extraordinary story of the prisoner
released to Pakistan, Mohammed Saad Iqbal Madni,
whose grotesque mistreatment involves
“extraordinary rendition” and torture spanning several continents.

A Pakistani-Egyptian national and the son of an
Islamic scholar, Madni was 24 years old when he
arrested in Jakarta by the Indonesian authorities
on January 9, 2002, after a request from the CIA.
He was then rendered to Egypt, apparently at the
urging of the Egyptian authorities, working in
cooperation with the CIA. In Egypt, he was
tortured for three months, and was flown back to
Afghanistan on April 12, 2002 with Mamdouh Habib,
an Australian prisoner, seized in Pakistan, who
was released in January 2005, and who has
<http://www.theage.com.au/news/War-on-Terror/The-torment-of-a-terror-suspect/2005/01/14/1105582713578.html>spoken
at length about his torture in Egypt. Eleven
months later, Madni was transferred to Guantánamo.

Although Madni did not speak about his treatment
during any of his military reviews at Guantánamo,
several prisoners confirmed that he was tortured
by the Egyptians. Rustam Akhmyarov, a Russian
prisoner released in 2004,
<http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/AMR51/007/2006/en/dom-AMR510072006en.html>said
that Madni told him of his time “in an
underground cell in Egypt, where he never saw the
sun and where he was tortured until he confessed
to working with Osama bin Laden,” and added that
he “recalled how he was interrogated by both
Egyptian and US agents in Egypt and that he was
blindfolded, tortured with electric shocks, beaten and hung from the ceiling.”

Akhmyarov also said that Madni was in a
particularly bad mental and physical state in
Guantánamo, where he “was passing blood in his
faeces,” and recalled that he overheard US
officials telling him, “we will let you go if you
tell the world everything was fine here.” Mamdouh
Habib confirmed Akhmyarov's analysis, recalling
how Madni had “pleaded for human interaction.” He
said that he overheard him saying, ”Talk to me,
please talk to me ... I feel depressed ... I want
to talk to somebody ... Nobody trusts me.” On the
191st day of his incarceration, according to
Madni’s own account, he attempted to commit suicide.

The Tipton Three -- Rhuhel Ahmed, Asif Iqbal and
Shafiq Rasul, British citizens released in 2004
-- also
<http://www.ccrjustice.org/files/report_tiptonThree.pdf>recalled
Madni in Guantánamo. They said that “he had had
electrodes put on his knees: and that “something
had happened to his bladder and he had problems
going to the toilet,” but explained that he had
been told by interrogators that he would not
receive treatment unless he cooperated with them,
in which case he would be “first in line for medical treatment.”

Quite what Madni was supposed to have done to
justify this torture and abuse was never
adequately explained at Guantánamo. The US
authorities urged the Indonesians to arrest him
after they claimed to have discovered documents
that linked him to Richard Reid, the inept and
mentally troubled British “shoe bomber,” who was
arrested, and later received a life sentence, for
attempting to blow up an American Airlines flight
from Paris to Miami in December 2001, but Madni
persistently denied the connections. In his
Combatant Status Review Tribunal -- in which he
pointed out that he is from a wealthy and
influential family, is fluent in nine languages
and is a renowned Islamic scholar -- he
maintained that he was betrayed by one of four
radical Islamists whom he met by accident on a
trip to Indonesia in November 2001 to sort out
family business after his father's death.

This account was backed up during an
investigation by the
<http://www.infowars.com/saved%20pages/Police_state/torture_wapost.htm>Washington
Post, who concluded that he rented a house in
Jakarta, and did nothing more sinister than
visiting the local mosque, handing out business
cards “identifying him as a Koran reader for an
Islamic radio station,” and spending “hours on
end watching television at a friend's house.”
Succinctly summing up what happened to him, he
told his tribunal, “After I went to Indonesia, I
got introduced to some people who were not good.
They were bad people. Maybe I can say they were
terrorists. When someone gets introduced to
someone, it is not written on their foreheads that they are bad or good.”

According to Ray Bonner of the
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/18/international/asia/18indo.html?pagewanted=1>New
York Times, the entire basis for Madni’s capture,
rendition and torture was that Madni, described
by an uncle in Lahore as a young man who “had a
childish habit of trying to portray himself as
important,” had made the mistake of telling the
men he had met -- members of the Islamic Defender
Front, an organization that espoused
anti-Americanism, but had not been involved in an
terrorist attacks -- that bombs could be hidden in shoes.

The comment was picked up by Indonesian
intelligence agents, who were monitoring the men,
and was relayed to the CIA, who decided to pick
him up after Richard Reid’s failed shoe bomb
attack a few weeks later. Although a US
intelligence official confirmed Madni’s uncle’s
account, calling Madni a “blowhard,” who “wanted
us to believe he was more important than he was,”
and another thought that he would be held for a
few days, “then booted out of jail,” more senior
officials clearly had other plans. Madni’s six
and a half year ordeal, therefore, was based on a single ill-advised comment.

If Madni’s family are sufficiently well
connected, it may well be that we haven’t heard
the last of this particular story of the gruesome
impact of torture arrangements between the United
States and Egypt, based on inadequate
intelligence, and the quiescent role of the
Indonesian authorities. On the other hand, Madni,
if released in Pakistan, may just want to rebuild
his life in seclusion. This would be
understandable, of course, but his abominable
treatment deserves to be more than a mere
footnote in the history of the Bush
administration’s vile and unprincipled policies
of “extraordinary rendition” and torture.

Andy Worthington is a British historian, and the
author of
'<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0745326641/counterpunchmaga>The
Guantánamo Files: The Stories of the 774
Detainees in America's Illegal Prison' (published
by Pluto Press). Visit his website at:
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/>www.andyworthington.co.uk
He can be reached at:
<mailto:andy at andyworthington.co.uk>andy at andyworthington.co.uk