[Ppnews] Carlos Alberto Torres' parole date

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Oct 31 15:28:22 EDT 2008

Carlos Albert Torres' parole hearing will be
during the week of January 19th.  This is 2
months earlier than what was originally thought
(originally it was March).  We need to begin
getting signed petitions in. So far we have about
2000 petitions in.  We want to have 3-4000 to
give to the parole board.  Please try to collect
signatures using the attached letter.  Get your
friends and companer at s to sign.  If you can
remember, please bring them to any events and try to get signatures....

You can mail them to the address below and we
will get them to the campaign.  Thanks!

Carlos Alberto Torres
[]

Born on September 19, 1952

Address:
88976-024
FCI Pekin
Federal Correctional Institution
P.O. Box 5000
Pekin, IL 61555

Carlos Alberto Torres was born in Ponce, Puerto
Rico on September 19, 1952. Although he was
raised in the United States, he was never
disconnected from Puerto Rico. Carlos also had a
strong religious upbringing; his father, Rev.
José A. Torres, is pastor emeritus of the First
Congregational Church of Chicago. These
influences led Carlos to struggle for social
justice through political and community activism.

Carlos engaged in struggles around housing,
police brutality and education. He was one of the
founders of the Puerto Rican alternative school
now known as the Dr. Pedro Albizu Campos High
School and participated in the Committee to Free
the Five Puerto Rican Nationalists.

In 1980, Carlos was arrested along with 10 other
compañer at s and was convicted of seditious
conspiracy and other charges in 1981; he was
unfairly sentenced to 78 years in prison for his
political ideas, not for any violent actions. He
is the step-son of ex-political prisoner
Alejandrina Torres. Carlos was not included in
the 1999 Clinton clemency offer.