[Ppnews] Chicago Police - Burge, & Current Torture Practices

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Oct 27 10:55:08 EDT 2008

October 24, 2008

http://www.chicagojustice.org/blog/

<http://www.chicagojustice.org/blog/?p=85>CPD,
Burge, & Current Interrogation Practices

Category:
<http://www.chicagojustice.org/blog/?cat=4>Accountability,
<http://www.chicagojustice.org/blog/?cat=3>Information
­ Posted by Tracy Siska @ 2:52 pm

The news this week that former Police Commander
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90dH2WOL34w>Jon
Burge has been indicted on federal charges nearly
thirty years after the alleged crimes is very
important.  This long overdue prosecution exposes
the striking, continuous, and deliberate refusal
by the accountability departments within the
agencies, policy makers, the media, and the
courts, to focus their attention on what occurs
inside Chicago Police interrogation rooms.  The
reporting of the indictment relies on
retrospective coverage of the abuse that occurred
at the hands of the Chicago Police
Department.  However, the discussion fails to
evaluate if Burge’s tactics are part of history
or if they have only been refined for modern use.

Recognizing Ongoing and Persistent Dangers
We know looking at ongoing civil litigation that
abuse at within interrogation rooms is ongoing &
persistent.  It is time for accountability
departments within the agencies to recognize
torture when it occurs and for policy makers, the
courts, and the media to catch up on the state of
the art in coercive interrogation tactics.  Sleep
deprivation and holding suspects incommunicado
for days have replaced the electric shock box
used by Burge and his cronies.  The case study
below demonstrates from ongoing litigation that
coercive interrogation tactics continue to be
used on a regular basis.  Hoping for politicians
to stop the practice is fruitless, as Chicago
history and present political leaders have
demonstrated over the last thirty
years.  Political careers have been made off the
results of tortured confessions so public
attention to these issues will be required to improve policing practices.

Journalists like
<http://www.suntimes.com/news/brown/1234831,CST-NWS-brown22.article>Mark
Brown at the Sun Times and
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-kass-22-oct22,0,7801172.column>John
Kass at the Chicago Tribune need to start
focusing on what occurs today, as you read this,
within the interrogation rooms of our police
department.  There is no oversight within the
structure of the
<http://www.iprachicago.org/>Independent Police
Review Authority or the
<http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/webportal/portalEntityHomeAction.do?entityName=Chicago+Police+Board&entityNameEnumValue=156>Chicago
Police Board to audit Chicago Police Records.  No
one verifies that they are not holding suspects
past legal requirements and/or using
psychological torture tactics within the initial
48 hours to coerce confessions.  We are once
again in Chicago operating under a
“<http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/05/30/60minutes/main4139413.shtml>trust
us” structure that leads to abuse and torture.

US Attorney
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY0Jq50wKMI>Patrick
Fitzgerald hosted a press conference to announce
<http://www.chicagojustice.org/blog/wp-content/burge-indictment.pdf>Burge’s
indictment. The most significant thing he said
was his choice to employ the word
“<http://www.unhchr.ch/html/menu3/b/h_cat39.htm>torture”
to describe Burge’s action - a word we have not
heard from another single policy maker, political
figure, criminal justice official, or cook county
judge in all the thirty years of this
saga.   Since 911, our concept of torture has
been skewed by efforts to alter a long-standing
internationally agreed upon definition. We must
work to reinforce our definitions of torture,
internationally, nationally and locally.  If we
continue to use the new definition we are going
to find ourselves repeating past mistakes.

Under the new definition of torture, tactics used
by the Chicago Police Department are not only
legal, but also encouraged.  We must understand
that psychological torture tactics are not just
as bad a physical torture tactics, they are worse.

Psychological torture tactics are far more
insidious to the criminal justice system because
there are no physical scars from physiological
torture.  It is impossible to understand how for
twenty years
<http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1233080,judge-dennis-dernbach-torture-102108.article>Cook
County Criminal Court Judges could have possible
missed the overt signs of physical torture in
their courtrooms.  History provides no
encouraging evidence that the ability of
similarly situated judges in Cook County will
have the ability to detect the results of
psychological torture in their courtrooms.

The Lopez case study demonstrates that the
current state of the art coercive tactics being
deployed in police interrogation rooms in Chicago
are psychological.  The federal courts have shown
it is beyond their power to stop these tactics
being widely throughout the Department’s
detective division.  Coercive interrogation
tactics have been at the heart of interrogation
in Chicago for the greater part of the last 100
years.  Joseph Lopez’ illegal detention case and
resulting class action case are examples of the
lengths the Chicago Police Department will go to
keep the practices in use, despite the financial
losses in civil litigation.  This case study is
an excerpt of a five part series I wrote on this
civil litigation.  You can find these series
here:
<http://www.chicagojustice.org/blog/?p=13#more-13>Part
I, <http://www.chicagojustice.org/blog/?p=14>Part
II,
<http://www.chicagojustice.org/blog/?p=17>Part
III,
<http://www.chicagojustice.org/blog/?p=27>Part
IV, <http://www.chicagojustice.org/blog/?p=28>Part V.

Case Study:
Litigation resulting from abuse perpetrated on
the body and mind of Joseph Lopez (Joseph Lopez
v. City of Chicago, and Chicago Police Detectives
Jennifer Belafonte, Daniel Jacons, and Hector
Vergara, 01CV182) by Chicago Police during his 4
days of illegal detention and interrogation
uncovered a twenty plus year pattern and practice
within the Chicago Police Department of illegal
detention of suspects on warrantless arrests.

The Lopez case uncovered a practice within the
Chicago Police Department of arresting young
people of color without a warrant in case
involving violent crimes.  The practice was
codified in the general orders dating back at
least to the mid-1970s and was called “holding
suspects past court call”.  Also uncovered as
part of the Lopez litigation was the fact that
the CPD has lost a class action resulting from
this practice in 1986, (Robinson v. City of
Chicago 638 F. Supp 186 (N.D. Ill. 986)).  At
that point the CPD had assured the federal
appellate court of appeals that they had
rewritten the general order that codified the
practice and the practice was stopped.  The CPD
benefited from the practice and was not about the
end the practice without greater pressure.  The
general order was never circulated within the
department to notify officers that the previous
general order was changed and thus the practice never stopped!

Joseph Lopez, 18, was arrested on July 19th, 2000
without a warrant for the murder of 12-year-old
Miguel DeLaRosa.  He was held for 4 days and
nights in an interrogation room with the lights
on all the time, cuffed to the wall most of the
time.  At the end of the four days, Lopez falsely
confessed to the murder, he was subsequently
released weeks later when the real culprit was
apprehended.  Lopez sued the CPD and, after much
litigation, settled his suit; however, a separate
class action suit was born from the discovery
process involved in Lopez’s suit, the Thomas Dunn
case.
(<http://www.chicagojustice.org/blog/wp-content/dunn-complaint.pdf>Dunn
Complaint 04-CV-06804)

The Dunn case was certified as a class action on
October 5, 2005.  On the day Chicago Police
Superintendent Terry Hillard retired, August 15,
2003, he circulated the general order that had
been rewritten almost twenty years earlier as a
result of the Robinson case.  The date of
certification of the Dunn case is important
because of the date structure of the third class certified in the case.

Class III: All persons arrested on suspicion of a
felony without an arrest warrant and who were
detained by the CPD in excess of 48 hours without
a judicial probable cause hearing any time from
March 15th until the date of certification.

If we examine the date Hillard circulated the
general order, August 15, 2003, and the date of
the certification, October 5, 2005, we see that
even after the general order was circulated the
practice did not stop because the judge included
in third class cases that occurred after the date
Hillard circulated the general order.

The Lopez case has received little to no media
attention and no attention from policy makers,
accountability departments within the criminal
justice agencies, or the courts.  To my
knowledge, not a single case in Cook County
criminal court has had a confession tossed because of an illegal detention.

For all the bellowing about the fact that more
should have been done twenty years ago to stop
Burge, nothing is being done to stop the illegal
and abusive tactics of today.  Neither the
Independent Police Review Authority nor the
Chicago Police Board is equipped either
financially or with the necessary political power
to gain the access they would need track this
abuse.  With policy makers continuing to pay the
same attention to this issue they have Burge over
the last thirty years we are left with no
options.  Psychological torture will continue to
be the rule rather than the exception within
police interrogation rooms in Chicago.