[Ppnews] Senate testimony reveals missing dynamite in 'Omaha Two' bombing case

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Nov 20 17:18:35 EST 2008

November 19, 2008
http://www.opednews.com/articles/Senate-testimony-by-police-by-Michael-Richardson-081119-794.html

Senate testimony by police captain reveals 9
sticks of missing dynamite in 'Omaha Two' bombing case
By Michael Richardson
http://www.opednews.com/maxwrite/uploaded/ed-20081119-419.jpg
http://www.opednews.com/maxwrite/uploaded/omaha-004-20081119-15

An Omaha, Nebraska police captain, Murdock
Platner, made two trips to Congressional hearing
rooms in Washington D.C. in October 1970 to
testify about the bombing murder of police
officer Larry Minard.  Officer Minard was killed
two months earlier on August 17th while
responding to a call of a woman screaming in a
vacant house when he triggered a suitcase bomb that killed him instantly.

Platner appeared before a U.S. Senate
subcommittee of the Judiciary Committee on
October 6, 1970 investigating "Assaults on Law
Enforcement Officers" along with patrolman James
Sledge and provided testimony and graphic photos
which Sledge described as "a little ghoulish" of Minard's mangled body.

Platner told the Senate committee, chaired by
Senator Strom Thurmond, that he was a 25-year
veteran of the Omaha Police Department and that
he was in charge of the intelligence
squad.  Platner explained "hard-core militants"
had been active in Omaha for two years.  The
captain explained about other "militant" activity
in Des Moines, Iowa and Kansas City, Missouri,
and that an "ambush of  some sort was to be planned against the Omaha police."

"A bulletin was issued to all police
officers
asking them to be especially careful of
any kind of boxes, or anything such as that they found."

"Prior to this, we had been told if they were
going to wait a person out and they would make a
phone call, and the police would come and
somebody out of the dark would shoot at the police officer."

Platner then described the terrible events of
August 17th that claimed Minard's life with a
booby-trapped suitcase bomb despite the warnings
of a possible ambush.  "We have since arrested three black militants."

"We have learned through confidential informants
that the dynamite was stolen from a place called
Quick Supply Co. in Des Moines and transferred
across the State line into the Omaha area
.There
were probably ten cases of this dynamite that was
stolen from Des Moines and brought to the Omaha
area.  We were in contact with a white man who we
knew was buying stolen property from these
people, and we asked him to ask them about
dynamite, and we thought possibly we could buy
it.  We eventually did buy about 60 sticks of dynamite from them."

Platner also appeared in Washington and
testified, under oath, before the U.S. House
Committee on Internal Security on October 14th
investigating the Black Panther Party.  However,
sometime between his Senate testimony and his
sworn House testimony eight days later, nine sticks of dynamite disappeared.

"We received information from a party that had
been approached to buy dynamite.  We had him buy
it and he bought 10 sticks.  It was 2 ½ by
16-inch sticks.  He came back later and said he
could buy more of this dynamite.  So we set up
for him to buy and then we were going to move in
before it was delivered.  We did move in and
arrested three young men in a car.  In their
possession they had 41 sticks of this same type of dynamite."

Inexplicably, the "about 60" sticks of October
6th had become 51 sticks by October
14th.  However, it didn't really matter to the
jury that convicted the two Panther leaders
because they were never told of Platner's
testimony and his two versions of the stolen dynamite.

Minard's death was blamed on the Black Panthers
while the murder investigation was being secretly
being directed from Federal Bureau of
Investigation headquarters by director J. Edgar
Hoover who had declared a clandestine war on the
Panthers known as Operation COINTELPRO.  Hoover's
hidden role in the case did not emerge until
years later following a Freedom of Information release of FBI documents.

At the time of Platner's testimony, Omaha Police
had six individuals in custody in the
case.  Charged in July arrests with possession of
stolen Quick Supply dynamite were Luther Payne,
Lamont Mitchell and Conrad Gray.  Charged in
August arrests were 15-year old Duane Peak--the
confessed bomber, Ed Poindexter and Mondo we
Langa (formerly David Rice) who were leaders of
Omaha's Black Panther chapter called the Nebraska
Committee to Combat Fascism.
Also arrested in August was Raleigh Bryant House
for conspiracy to commit murder.  House had been
named by Peak as the supplier of the dynamite
used in the bomb that killed Minard.  Curiously,
House was released after one night in jail and
never formally charged in the case despite his
role in providing dynamite to Peak.  Platner
testified to the House committee that House was
the "Minister of Finance" of the NCCF but did not
mention his role in the dynamite delivery,
instead falsely telling the committee that Mondo
we Langa was the source of the explosive. House's
get-out-of-jail-free status suggests he was a police informant.

The significance of the missing nine sticks of
dynamite was the purported discovery of a box of
dynamite in Mondo's basement by Omaha detective
Jack Swanson following the bombing.  Swanson was
also the detective in charge of the stolen
dynamite seized in July from Payne, Mitchell and
Gray.  No dynamite was ever photographed by crime
scene technicians at Langa's residence and only
first appeared in police evidence photos in the trunk of a police squad car.

Another detective, Robert Pheffer, who testified
at trial he saw Swanson carry it upstairs,
corroborated Swanson's purported basement
discovery of dynamite.  Pheffer has since
contradicted his own trial testimony and now
claims that he, not Swanson, found
dynamite.  Pheffer also now alleges he found
other bomb-making supplies, an allegation not
supported by police inventory logs or any other officer at the scene.

The men caught in July with stolen dynamite,
Luther Payne, Lamont Mitchell and Conrad Gray,
quietly had their charges dropped several days
after the 'Omaha Two' trial ended without jurors
ever learning of their arrests.  Raleigh House
was named at the murder trial as the source of
the bomb explosive but never was prosecuted for
his role in the police killing. Duane Peak, the
confessed bomber, walked free after several years
of juvenile detention in exchange for his
testimony that the Panther leaders had made the
bomb and put him up to the bombing.

Ed Poindexter and Mondo we Langa are both serving
life sentences in the Nebraska State Penitentiary
and deny any involvement in Minard's
death.  Poindexter has a new trial request
pending before the Nebraska Supreme Court over
withheld evidence and conflicting police dynamite
testimony.  No date for a decision has been set.

***
  Permission grant to reprint

Authors Bio: Michael Richardson is a freelance
writer based in Boston. Richardson writes about
politics, law, nutrition, ethics, and music.
Richardson is also a political consultant.