[Ppnews] Letter from Leonard November 5, 2008

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Nov 6 09:22:58 EST 2008

From: contact at whoisleonardpeltier.info
Date: Wed,  5 Nov 2008 19:30:04 -0800 (PST)

My Relatives and Friends,

Last night a change in this country took place
that not too long ago many people said would
never happen. An African-American was elected to
the White House and by a major landslide, which
gives him a mandate by the public to fulfill his
promises. This landslide indicates the people
have placed their hope with this man they call
their president for a change in this country.

HOPE. There have been times if I can even recall
what it really means to have hope that justice is
right around the corner. I've been mislead and
disappointed so many times that I would soon see
justice and to have it denied upon a technicality
in legal appeals. Or like what happened eight
years ago. Everyone placed their hope and trust
with a couple named Bill and Hillary, but we were
betrayed at the last minute.  I know that many of
my friends, family and supporters were crushed. I
began to feel the weight and pressure of a
lifetime being unjustly imprisoned began to crowd
me into a corner of my cell and then in my mind.
But, it was this thing that has been our battle
cry for so many years, "In the Spirit of Crazy
Horse". I remembered what he stood for and
remained a warrior until his last breath. It is a
strength that we stand upon when we are right. We
were right to be in Oglala and we were right to
be prepared to defend ourselves. What wasn't
right is that a jury never got to hear any of
this testimony, and the rest of the trial was a
product of the fabrication and then manipulation
of the FBI. This spirit of Crazy Horse is a
spirit of being in total resistance to the wrongs
perpetuated towards your people, community,
family and yourself. Some of us called it
outrage, but that is just merely an emotion
without resolving the issue. It is when we make a
conscious choice to try and balance the wrongs in
this society that we are being compelled by this
spirit of resistance to stand in defense of the wronged.

That spirit cannot be conquered, and I refused to
submit and give in when it appeared there may be
no hope It was because of the letters of support
and encouragement from so many people that I
continued on for another eight years. And now
people seem to feel there is a change blowing in
the wind and that the election of Obama is a manifestation of that change.

I sincerely hope so, because I am now 64 years
old and coming up on my 33 year of being confined
and fighting for justice and my freedom, Obama
may be my last chance at securing my freedom. If
there is one thing I learned from earlier
campaigns on my clemency is that he won't just be
able to do it by himself. He is going to need
your support in the form of public opinion on the
case. That isn't going to happen until we can
create education and awareness on the
circumstances of my case across this country and
send letters. Be a Branch Support Group to help
create public opinion. My case has to be a
national issue on justice denied, it may sound
easy, but it isn't. The FBI has been an opposing
force in attempting to discredit my cause and
that of Native people since they focused their
attention on the American Indian Movement in the
1970s. When it appeared that Clinton might
actually grant clemency, the agents went and
demonstrated at the White House and utilized
their resources to create doubt in the mind of Clinton.

So in the national awareness goals of the branch
support groups it is going to be your challenge
to keep the public interest focused. It is also
another hope that with a whole generation of
people who were born after my wrongful conviction
that there will be a renewed source of energy and actions.

One point that I would like everyone to focus on
right now is a "30 year law" regarding my
sentence and parole. At the time I was convicted, the guidelines said:

"Any prisoner,
shall be released on parole

after serving thirty years of each consecutive
term or terms of more than forty-five years
including any life term, whichever is earlier:
Provided, however, That the Commission shall not
release such prisoner if it determines that he
has seriously or frequently violated institution
rules and regulations or that there is a
reasonable probability that he will commit any
Federal, State, or local crime." 28 U.S.C. section 28 U.S.C. §4206(d)

I've served more than 30 years of this sentence
and have been considered a model prisoner And the
likelihood of committing any crimes is
non-existent due to my age and the humanitarian
work I've pursued to help my people since my
incarceration. According to this law, they have
to grant me a parole to my next sentence. But as
we've learned from the past, we cannot take
anything for granted so your letters should be
focused on this law to the parole commission and
congressional leaders. If the commission complies
with the letter and spirit of this law, we will
have made a significant step towards my freedom
and we will need to maintain and increase this momentum.

The Committee and I have been discussing several
ideas and projects to make this a pro-active
campaign. We are currently rebuilding the former
LPSG's into LPBSG's. This is necessary due to a
breakdown with the former Leonard Peltier Defense
Committee. I had to turn to my sister and niece
to help me rebuild my defense committee from
scratch. We had no files, records, and
merchandise. We have not been able to make
contact with the former coordinator of the LPDC.
We are still hoping to resolve this issue, but
until then we needed to keep moving with the campaign.

We still need all of our former contacts and
supporters to reconnect with us and to update the
information so that my Committee can handle
correspondences and contributions. We need
everyone who has supported me to contact the
LPDOC and sign onto our list serve so that you
can be updated with information on progress or
activities needed in my campaign.

I will need everyone to work with my Committee
and clear any action with the appropriate people
within the Committee. It is important that we all
work together cohesively, instead of scattering
our efforts or resources. We do not intend to
discourage ideas or creativity, but we would like
to incorporate such ideas into a unified larger
effort and not act prematurely on some plans we
may have not disclosed due to timing or details being worked out.

Some of the projects we have discussed are
conducting rides, walks, runs and events across
the country to create this awareness of my case.
We are initiating efforts to ask bands and
artists to host fundraisers in their area. We've
talked about strategies we could undertake to
further my cause, but a lot will depend on how
quickly people come to form my BSG and start organizing in their area.

I also understand that some of us have
personality issues with other people. I hope that
many of you can pray or find a way to rise above
this obstacle and work together for one common
purpose. I would like to see so many of my
supporters come together in a show of solidarity.
If there really is a change in the air, we will
need each other to bring about change in so many
other areas. For me it has been about our culture
and right to be who we are, but foremost it has
been the children and the next generation. WE
were supposed to leave a better world behind for
them and how much have we accomplished? I know
that somehow and someway my sacrifice will not be
in vain and that the years I've endured this pain
of loneliness and suffering in confinement will
make a better world for those children and coming
generations. That along with my freedom is my
hope, but I will not be able to fulfill it
without you. So take a few minutes and educate
yourself on the injustices of my case. It may
shock and outrage you, but you can do something about it, so join us.

In the Spirit of Crazy Horse,

Leonard Peltier