[Ppnews] Important Angola 3 Update

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Nov 5 16:27:56 EST 2008

 From Tory Pegram Campaign Coordinator

Good morning all,

A few updates to share.

Final Arguments for Bail Due by Nov 12th:
First from the legal team--the outstanding depositions are now
complete and Judge Brady has asked both sides to submit final closing
arguments to his court by next Wednesday, November 12th. Although we
are never certain of timelines, it seems like this will be the last
step before he deliberates and decides whether Albert will be
released on bail. I will update you as developments become available.

Disturbing New Accusations By The State:
I'm deeply saddened to report that the State issued a statement this
weekend promising that if Brady releases Albert on bail, they are
prepared to file 6 new charges of aggravated rape, and 6 of armed
robbery that they claim to have had in the files, but never yet
prosecuted, from the mid 1960's.

This is the very first time that Albert or his attorneys have heard
such accusations raised. In his now more than 40 years caught up in
Louisiana's legal system, these accusations have somehow never
emerged in any official form. He has never to date been tried, nor
has he been convicted of such crimes. They do not exist on his rap
sheet, nor within 4 decades of trial transcripts. Despite this fact,
Attorney General Buddy Caldwell is now publicly characterizing him as
"a serial rapist." Please read the Baton Rouge Advocate piece
published Saturday and picked up in local papers throughout the state
Sunday:
<http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/33679104.html>http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/33679104.html.

A group of local grassroots organizations and supporters has decided
to call a press conference tomorrow in front of Jackie's Herman's
House exhibit in New Orleans
(<http://www.hermanshouse.org>www.hermanshouse.org) to defend
Albert's name and I'm including their press release below.
Organizations and individuals who want to be included in their effort
should feel free to contact Parnell for more information.

The Coalition, along with the attorneys, will issue their own
response perhaps as early as next week, or as soon as an appropriate
legal strategy is decided upon and all the facts are gathered with
regards to what information the State actually has. Albert is
justifiably devastated by these recent accusations and wants all of
his supporters to know that they are absolutely false, and he
believes, only designed as a way to assassinate his character, and
perhaps again delay his now imminent release.

As the world rejoices and welcomes signs of better days to come in
America, this newest move by the State demonstrates that the struggle
for racial equality is far from over. Please send letters of support
to Albert and Herman in the coming days:
<http://www.angola3.org/Contactus.aspx>http://www.angola3.org/Contactus.aspx.
They need to know that no matter what charges are levied against
them, we will never stop believing in their innocence and dignity,
nor fighting for their freedom, and the freedom of those similarly
victimized by our failed criminal justice system in America.

Thanks to all of you, freedom is still around the corner for them,
and hopefully for all of us. The truth will prevail, I'm sure of it.

peace, until soon,

--
Tory Pegram
Campaign Coordinator
odsllc at gmail.com
504.338.2631
<http://www.angola3.org>www.angola3.org

For Immediate Release: Wednesday November 5, 2008

Join Angola-3 supporters on Thursday November 6, 2008. 2:00PM at
Contemporary Art Center 900 Camp St. as we demand the immediate
release of Albert Woodfox and an end to the slander, harassment,
persecution and character assassination of Mr. Woodfox.

Over thirty-six years ago Albert Woodfox was framed and convicted for
a murder he did not commit. Mr. Woodfox was placed in solitary
confinement where he remained over thirty-five years. Mr. Woodfox's
false conviction has since, been overturned twice by a magistrate and
a federal court judge.

Prison guard Brent Miller was murdered at former Angola Plantation
(La. State Penitentiary) during a period in time when FBI leader J.
Edgar Hoover stated, "The Black Panther Party, with out question,
represents the greatest threat to the internal security of our country."

Through Counter Intelligence Program (Cointelpro) a federal campaign
was designed to destroy the Black Panther Party by any means necessary.

Mr. Woodfox and three other organizers were framed for Mr. Miller's
murder. Two of those cases were disposed of while Mr. Woodfox and his
Black Panther comrade Herman Wallace were remanded to solitary confinement.

Two weeks after Officer Miller's death Black Panther Robert King was
transferred to Angola . Mr. King was immediately placed in solitary
confinement under investigation for Officer Miller's murder though
Mr. King had literally been housed in another institution and had not
yet been transferred to Angola .

La. State Persecutors are desperate. Their four decades of torture
are about to end. Rather than acknowledge the misdeeds of their
predecessors and apologize to Mr. Woodfox for the many years of
wrongful-unjust torture, they have decided to slander Mr. Woodfox and
fabricate a new set of charges against him. James D. "Buddy" Caldwell
and his clan have declared a personal vendetta against Mr. Woodfox.

We are here to say to Mr. Caldwell: Enough is enough! Stop the
Harassment! Stop the Slander! Stop the Lies and Free Albert Woodfox!!!

In attendance will be:
Jackie Sumell- Artist * Malik Rahim-Common Ground * Lawrence
Martin-NOLA.TV * Ron Chisom- Peoples Institute for Survival And
Beyond * Monika Gerhart- Amnesty International * A3grassroots.org *
Parnell Herbert- Deputy Minister of Justice-Millions More Movement
Houston TX . * Robert Horton-Critical Resistance * Black Men United
for Change * Jordan Flaherty * European Dissent * Mwalimu Johnson *
Pastor Torin Sanders

For additional information contact Parnell Herbert 832-630-8411