[Ppnews] A Chinese Muslim's Desperate Plea from Guantánamo

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Mar 28 19:41:42 EDT 2008

http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington03282008.html

March 28, 2008

Plight of the Uyghurs

A Chinese Muslim's Desperate Plea from Guantánamo

By ANDY WORTHINGTON

The stories of the Uyghurs in Guantánamo --
Muslims from the oppressed Xinjiang province of
China, formerly known as East Turkistan -- have
long demonstrated chronic injustice on the part
of the US authorities to those who know of them,
although they have only sporadically registered on the media's radar.

Numbering 22 men in total, three were picked up
randomly in Afghanistan, another was caught
crossing the Pakistani border disguised in a
burka, while the other 18 were seized together by
opportunistic Pakistani villagers, after fleeing
Afghanistan in the wake of the US-led invasion in
October 2001, and sold to US forces for a bounty,
as was common at the time. A leaflet dropped by
US planes offered enterprising villagers and
soldiers "millions of dollars for helping the
anti-Taliban force catch al-Qaeda and Taliban murderers."

These 18 men, who had fled their homeland because
of persecution, in search of a new life, or in
the hope of gaining some sort of training to
enable them to fight back against their
oppressors, had been living together in a small,
run-down hamlet in Afghanistan's Tora Bora
mountains, mending the settlement's ruined
buildings, and occasionally training on their only weapon, a aging AK-47.

After the US-led invasion, they were targeted in
a US bombing raid, in which several men died. The
survivors then made their way across the
mountains to the Pakistani border, where they
were first welcomed by the villagers, and then
betrayed by them. In US custody, they attracted
attention because of their supposed insights into
the workings of the Chinese government, but it
was apparent from early on that they had not been
involved with either the Taliban or al-Qaeda, and
that there was no reason to hold them.

Unfortunately for the Uyghurs, however, the
declaration of their innocence only prefaced
further problems, as they joined one of
Guantánamo's least enviable groups: cleared
prisoners who, because of international treaties,
cannot be <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0745326641/counterpunchmaga>
[]
returned to their home countries for fear that
they will be subjected to torture, or worse. The
US government had obligingly declared those
opposed to Chinese rule in Xinjiang province as
"terrorists," in order to secure support for the
invasion of Iraq in 2003, and had even allowed --
or invited -- Chinese interrogators to question
the men in Guantánamo, but when it came to
returning them to China they refused to do so.

Attempts to persuade other countries to accept
the Uyghurs -- and other cleared prisoners who
faced similar problems with repatriation -- were
both long and largely futile. Despite the fact
that some of these men had been regarded as
wrongly detained while they were in US-run
prisons in Afghanistan, and that many had been
cleared after military tribunals in Guantánamo in
2004, it was not until May 2006 that one country
-- Albania, one of Europe's poorest nations --
could be prevailed upon to accept five of the
men, who were joined, in December 2006, by
another three cleared prisoners from Algeria,
Egypt and the former Soviet Union.

Living in a UN refugee camp in Tirana has not
been without its problems -- there is no Uyghur
community in Albania, no prospect of work, and no
opportunity for the men to have contact with
their families -- but it is at least better than
being in Guantánamo, where their compatriots, who
have, for the most part, also been cleared for
release (the exact details are, like much else at
Guantánamo, difficult to gauge with absolute
confidence), remain in a limbo that seems, literally, to be without end.

Compounding their suffering, the Uyghurs, like
the majority of the dozens of other cleared
prisoners, are held not in comfort in Camp 4
(Guantánamo's only block with communal dorms) but
in Camp 6, a maximum security prison in which
they are held in complete isolation, in metal
cells without windows, for 22 to 23 hours a day.

One of these men is Abdulghappar, who is now 35
years old. In 2004, he explained to his military
tribunal that he had traveled to Afghanistan to
"get some training to fight back against the
Chinese government," and added that he had
nothing against the United States. He said that
his own people "and my own family are being
tortured under the Chinese government," and when
asked, "Was it your intention when you were
training to fight against the US or its allies?"
came up with an answer that summed up the
feelings of all his imprisoned compatriots: "I
have one point: a billion Chinese enemies, that
is enough for me. Why would I get more enemies?"

Abdulghappar recently wrote a letter to his
lawyers, which was declassified by the military
censors who review all correspondence between
lawyers and their clients. It was then passed to
the Associated Press, who quoted parts of the
letter in an article last week, which was then
picked up by other media outlets.

In the hope of providing Abdulghappar with more
of his own voice, however, I asked his lawyers
for a copy of the letter, which I reproduce in
its entirety below. As it is a translation, I
have taken the liberty of editing the language to
convey his message more fully.

Abdulghappar's letter from Guantánamo

How are you, Mr. J. Wells Dixon and Ms. Seema
Saifee? I hope that this letter reaches you
before you come over, and I hope that it will be
a little beneficial for our Turkistani brothers' situation here.

We, the Turkistani brothers, left our homeland in
order to escape from the brutal suppression and
unfair treatment from the Chinese government
towards our people. The Uyghur youth back home
were either incarcerated because of false
accusations or prosecuted and executed because of
bogus allegations. It was extremely difficult for
any Uyghur to see a future for themselves within
our homeland, and both young and middle-aged
Uyghurs started to leave East Turkistan and try
to find survival abroad, if anyone could find a
way to get out. We, the Uyghurs in Guantánamo,
are also like those Uyghurs. We left our homeland
for the same cause and sought solace in our neighboring countries.

As you know, for some specific reasons we ended
up in Afghanistan. When we arrived in
Afghanistan, the US army invaded. We had to
depart for Pakistan, since we could not stay in
Afghanistan. As we did not know anyone who could
help us there, we had no other choice but to
leave. The Pakistani people then arrested us and
turned us over to the Pakistani government.
Subsequently, the Pakistani government sold us to
the US army for bounties. The US army then brought us to Guantánamo.

Since the very beginning of the interrogations,
we have been saying this. Our circumstances are
very clear to the US government, the US army and
related agencies. Thus, the East Turkistani
people and we, the Uyghurs in Guantánamo, have
never had any revulsion against the US at any
time, and this would never be possible, because
our homeland is being occupied and we need the help of others.

We were very pleased at the beginning when the
Pakistanis turned us over to American custody. We
sincerely hoped that America would be sympathetic
to us and help us. Unfortunately, the facts were
different. Although in 2004 and 2005 we were told
that we were innocent, we have been incarcerated
in jail for the past six years until the present
day. We fail to know why we are still in jail here.

We still hope that the US government will free us
soon and send us to a safe place. Being away from
family, away from our homeland, and also away
from the outside world and losing any contact
with anyone is not suitable for a human being,
as, also, is being forbidden from experiencing
natural sunlight and natural air, and being
surrounded by a metal box on all sides.

I was very healthy in the past. However, since I
was brought to Camp 6, I got rheumatism. My
joints started to hurt all the time and are
getting worse. My kidneys started to hurt ten days ago.

My countryman Abdulrazaq used to have rheumatism
for a while, and since he came to Camp 6 it got
worse. Sometime in early August, the US army told
Abdulrazaq that he was cleared to be released,
and also issued the release form to him in
writing. As a result, Abdulrazaq requested to
move to a camp that had better conditions, for
health reasons. When his request was ignored he
embarked on a hunger strike, which has lasted for over a month now.

Currently, he is on punishment and his situation
is even worse. He is shackled to the restraint
chair and force-fed twice a day by the guards,
who wear glass shields on their faces. This has
taken place for the past 20 days. For someone who
has not eaten for a long time, such treatment is
not humane. Abdulrazaq would never want to go on
hunger strike. However, the circumstances here
forced him to do so, as he had no other choice.
If the oppression was not unbearable, who would
want to throw himself on a burning fire? In the
US constitution, is it a crime for someone to ask
to protect his health and to ask for his rights?
If it does count as a crime, then what is the
difference between the US constitution and the
Communist constitution? What is the difference
between this and Hitler's policies during the Second World War?

I have heard that an Egyptian man broke his back
and became handicapped while he was being handled
by a team in Camp 1 or 2, and then he was sent
home as a crippled person for the rest of his
life [Sami El-Leithi, released in October 2005].
Another Libyan broke his arm also. I worry that
Abdulrazaq will face a similar or worse situation
while being force fed twice a day for a long
time, and I am also concerned for his
psychological condition as it is extremely
difficult for him to keep his mental state normal under such circumstances.

Recently, I started to wonder, "why are we
staying in this jail for so long?" I wonder if we
will be released after we damage our internal and
external organs and our arms and legs. Or is it
necessary for a few Turkistanis to die, as
happened in the past here in this jail, in order
to gain others' attention and their concern
towards our matter? Such thoughts are in my mind
all the time. The reason I am writing this letter
to you is that I sincerely hope that you and
others related to law and enforcement can solve
this issue quickly and help us in a practical manner.

Abdulghappar Turkistani (281)
December 12, 2007.
Guantánamo Bay jail, Camp 6.

Andy Worthington
(<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/>www.andyworthington.co.uk)
is a British historian, and the author of
'<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0745326641/counterpunchmaga>The
Guantánamo Files: The Stories of the 774
Detainees in America's Illegal Prison'. He can be
reached at: <mailto:andy at andyworthington.co.uk>andy at andyworthington.co.uk